Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
An gaming mate sent me an email asking what I saw in Rallyman. I sent him a lengthy reply describing what I like about the game, but perhaps I'm missing something that he spotted?

Quote:
I simply don't understand what you see in it. It is as simple to play as Das Motorsportsspiel, but without the timer.

If the start player makes his first two moves without any errors, he can play it safe from thereon and everybody else will have to take chances and probably fail to win.

What's the attraction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't really make sense. If the guy plays it safe, the other players could easily beat him out by smart use of the dice and fast tracking it. He does know that it is not who finishes first who wins the game, right?

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Ski said. When I introduced the game to my roommate, he tried to finish ahead of me instead of faster than me. He was almost a full minute behind my time on the short intro stage.

The attraction of Rallyman is that it combines planning and risk taking. On every track, there is a theoretical fastest time, but it is unlikely for anyone to achieve it, and often trying to but losing control or getting a flat tire will have dire consequences. Therefore, it is better to play it safe, but too safe would make you too slow. I like the fact that, if you want, you can play entirely safe. Sometimes in Formula De, the die just screws you over (like just missing the next turn). Or you can take great risks. It's all up to the driver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite simply, it's a thinking man's racing game. Most of them are just about pushing your luck, there's very little strategy.

Rallyman rewards smart pathfinding and combines that with the push-your-luck element.

Even friends who hate racing games really enjoy Rallyman, so I'd say that your friend either hasn't played it or is just a stick-in-the-mud

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he playing with time attack?
If you roll all the dice at the same time, you're never cleared of the danger!
You're not missing anything, he is missing everything! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

You're not missing anything, he is missing everything! whistle

Yeah, I agree. I am not sure if he played by the correct rules or not, but he is a Danish IGA member so I'd hope so ;-)

I see he's gone and rated it a 3, which is a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you could play Rallyman without dice rolling and then the game can be solved, i. e. there is a best path for any given track. This path is, however, not so easy to spot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
He does know that it is not who finishes first who wins the game, right?

Sounds to me that he thinks you have to pass the 1st player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
For interested parties, I put up my response to the original letter on my website.

http://taogaming.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/in-defense-of-rall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent post, Brian. I especially agree with bullet 3.3. It takes a lot of processing power to nut through the dice/corner combinations to come up with the perfect plan. I think Pat Brennan dismissed the game as too easily solvable, so it's all down to dice ... I just can't believe four gamers would solve a course identically, reducing the game to a dice off for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.