Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen multiple people ask which Star Wars Miniatures they should use as replacements for Epic Duels figures, so here are some recommendations. Star Wars Miniatures and Epic Duels figures are basically the same scale, so it is not necessary to replace all the figures at once. Recommendations are made based on price and pose. Prices are based typical ebay auction prices as of June 2011. Prices will be a bit higher if you go to an online retailer such as Miniature Market or Cool Stuff, Inc.

DROIDS AND TROOPERS
For the droids and troopers, the choice is pretty easy. None of them are terribly expensive and there are multiple poses for all of them. Here are some recommended poses, but pretty much any pose would work well:

Super Battle Droids: Super Battle Droid - Clone Strike #48
Battle Droids: Battle Droid - Galaxy at War #2
Clone Troopers: Clone Trooper - Clone Strike #6
Stormtroopers: Stormtrooper - Rebel Storm #37
Royal Guard: Royal Guard - Rebel Storm #32

HEROES
Selecting figures for the heroes is a bit trickier than selecting them for the troopers and droids. The figures are generally more expensive and most of the heroes come in multiple poses/costumes. For most characters, you can find a figure that works for under $5. I'll recommend a pose for each, but in some cases the recommended pose is a Very-Rare figure and costs more than $10 (in some cases significantly more). So I'll also recommend an alternate that you can probably get for under $5.

Anakin Skywalker

Best pose: Anakin Skywalker - Clone Strike #3
Best on a budget: Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight - Revenge of the Sith #3

Padme Amidala

Best pose: Padme Amidala - Clone Strike #21
Best on a budget: Queen Amidala - Champions of the Force #31

Boba Fett

Best pose: Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter - Bounty Hunters #19
Best on a budget: Boba Fett - Rebel Storm #42
The Rebel Storm option is still usually $15+. There is no inexpensive option for Boba Fett, but it's better than $50+ for the Bounty Hunters option.

Greedo

Best pose and best on a budget: Greedo - Rebel Storm #55
Super-cheap option: Rodian Blaster-for-Hire - Legacy of the Force #51
There is only one Greedo figure and he's not expensive, but there are several other Rodian options. Some of them can be found for under $1.

Count Dooku

Best pose: Darth Tyranus - Revenge of the Sith #29
Best on a budget: Darth Tyranus, Legacy of the Dark Side - Legacy of the Force #10

Darth Maul

Best pose: Darth Maul - Clone Strike #35
Best on a budget: Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice - Jedi Academy #5 OR Darth Maul, Champion of the Sith - Champions of the Force #40
The JA and CotF options both go for about $10. There is no Darth Maul that regularly goes for less than that.

Darth Vader

Best pose: Darth Vader, Scourge of the Jedi - Knights of the Old Republic #33
Best on a budget: Darth Vader, Dark Jedi - Rebel Storm #21
There are many poses for Darth Vader, and it's debatable which one is the best pose. Most of them sell in the $5-$15 range. Dark Jedi is one that regularly sells for under $5.

Emperor Palpatine

Best pose: Emperor Palpatine - Rebel Storm #25
Another option: Darth Sidious - Clone Strike #36
Both of these options are $10-$15, but there isn't really any other option. There are multiple other depictions of Palpatine, but they don't work because either he's a Senator, or on his throne, or it's a depiction of Palpatine with a lightsaber from the prequel trilogy.

Han Solo

Best pose and best on a budget: Han Solo - Rebel Storm #7
An equally good option: Han Solo, Smuggler - Knights of the Old Republic #30

Chewbacca

Best pose: Chewbacca, Rebel Hero - Universe #45
Best on a budget: Chewbacca - Rebel Storm #3
There are also multiple figures for generic wookiees. Some of those could work for Chewbacca and can be found for under $1.

Jango Fett

Best pose and best on a budget: Jango Fett - Clone Strike #45
Best pose in Star Wars Miniatures: Jango Fett, Bounty Hunter - Bounty Hunters #37
The Clone Strike figure is about $10, usually a bit less. The Bounty Hunter option depicts Jango with the flamethrower and jetpack both activated. It looks great, but it's not really needed in Epic Duels. It's also one of the most expensive figures in SWM - typically about $45 or so.

Zam Wesell

Best pose and really the only option: Zam Wesell - Clone Strike #60
They only made one figure for Zam, but it usually sells for under $10.

Luke Skywalker

Best pose and best on a budget: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight - Rebel Storm #9
An equally good option: Luke Skywalker, Jedi - Knights of the Old Republic #32

Princess Leia

Best pose and best on a budget: Princess Leia, Senator - Rebel Storm #13
Another good option: Princess Leia - Alliance & Empire #16

Mace Windu

Best pose: General Windu - Champions of the Force #26
Best on a budget: Master Windu - Masters of the Force #8

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Best pose and best on a budget: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master - Revenge of the Sith #15
Another option: General Kenobi - Clone Strike #12

Yoda

Best pose: Yoda, Jedi Master - Revenge of the Sith #24
Best on a budget: Grand Master Yoda - Jedi Academy #14

Do I take my own recommendations? Nope. While I have many of the Star Wars Miniatures I listed above, I keep them with the rest of the Star Wars Miniatures. I'm happy with the Epic Duels figures as they are, but if I ever decided to swap in SWM proxies I would use the ones above - almost certainly the budget options.

(Images are linked externally from www.bloomilk.com.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this several years ago for my son. This and Queens' Gambit. As I recall, with so many VRs it was an expensive proposition and Jengo and Bobba Fett being the killers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
I did this several years ago for my son. This and Queens' Gambit. As I recall, with so many VRs it was an expensive proposition and Jengo and Bobba Fett being the killers.

The prices have fallen quite a bit since you did it, I'm sure. The game was recently canceled so prices are lower now than they were in the past. It would probably still be $125 if you buy everything separately and have to pay shipping on all of it (figuring $5 including shipping on most of the figures, and then the 4 or 5 that would be $10+). You can avoid the VRs on every figure except Palpatine and Boba Fett. Although for Jango and Darth Maul, the rares aren't much cheaper than a lot of VRs anyway.

I added things up at www.coolstuffinc.com and found that a set (31 miniatures) costs $122.55, using the lower-priced options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent list for those of us who have a copy of Epic Duels with figures missing. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:

The prices have fallen quite a bit since you did it, I'm sure. The game was recently canceled so prices are lower now than they were in the past. It would probably still be $125 if you buy everything separately and have to pay shipping on all of it (figuring $5 including shipping on most of the figures, and then the 4 or 5 that would be $10+). You can avoid the VRs on every figure except Palpatine and Boba Fett. Although for Jango and Darth Maul, the rares aren't much cheaper than a lot of VRs anyway.

I added things up at www.coolstuffinc.com and found that a set (31 miniatures) costs $122.55, using the lower-priced options.

You're right about that. Except for Mace Windu and Yoda, my set matches up with your list and totals $170.29 at CSI prices. And several sets offering alternatives have come out since I collected the figs for ED.

Super Battle Droid Clone Strike #47 $1.25
Super Battle Droid Clone Strike #48 $1.25
Battle Droid Clone Strike #28 $0.99
Battle Droid Clone Strike #30 $0.99
Clone Trooper Clone Strike #6 $1.25 x3
Clone Trooper Clone Strike #7 $1.25 x3
Stormtrooper Rebel Storm #36 $0.99
Stormtrooper Rebel Storm #37 $0.99
Royal Guard Rebel Storm #32 $1.49 x2

Anakin Skywalker Clone Strike #3 $11.99
Padme Amidala Clone Strike #21 $9.99
Boba Fett Rebel Storm #42 $17.99
Greedo Rebel Storm #55 $2.75
Count Dooku (Darth Tyranus) Revenge of the Sith #29 $2.25
Darth Maul Clone Strike #35 $29.99
Darth Vader Rebel Storm #22 $3.99
Emperor Palpatine - Rebel Storm #25 $14.99
Han Solo Rebel Storm #7 $3.49
Chewbacca Rebel Storm #3 $2.99
Jango Fett Clone Strike #45 $11.99
Zam Wesell Clone Strike #60 $5.99
Luke Skywalker Rebel Storm #9 $5.49
Princess Leia Rebel Storm #13 $3.49
Mace Windu Clone Strike #19 $7.99
Obi-Wan Kenobi (General Kenobi) Clone Strike #12 $3.99
Yoda Clone Strike #26 $13.99

I'd add Mace Windu #19 & Yoda #26, both from Clone Strike and both excellent poses, to your list of options.

Edit: Removed reference about my set being available…they're gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:

I'd add Mace Windu #19 & Yoda #26, both from Clone Strike and both excellent poses, to your list of options.

I agree - good poses. I like General Windu's pose better than Mace Windu - Clone Strike, though. Clone Strike Yoda and Revenge of the Sith Yoda have very similar poses and RotS was cheaper so I listed that one.

The price on your set is a lot higher due to all the VRs you have from Clone Strike. Clone Strike was the second set released, and many of the characters had figures released later that were only rare: Anakin, Padme, Yoda, Maul, Mace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent post! Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.