Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I have a game I've designed for which I am at the playtesting stage. I've done this some in person, but I would also like to make a simple online version to speed the process along. Does anyone know of a website where I could do this?

A while ago someone posted in this forum about such a site (Board Game Construction Site), and I checked it out briefly and it looked perfect, but now that I am ready to use it doesn't seem to exist anymore and the poster hasn't logged into BGG since then, so I don't know how good the chances are of it reappearing.

I don't need anything too fancy - I am not planning to code in the rules or anything like that (and I am not a programmer anyways). I just want something where I can upload a map, some counters and some cards and then have two people manipulate them in realtime. (If it could handle random card drawing that would be particularly useful)

So, any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VASSAL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
If anyone else looks at this and doesn't need anything quite so complex as card manipulation the igGameCenter has a good sandbox for playtesting abstract games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I looked at VASSAL briefly, and my impression was that it was more complicated than I wanted/needed. Also, I wasn't sure if it was really for prototypes; it seemed to be more for implementations of published games.

If I'm wrong on either point, please let me know - if it's really quite simple to throw up a prototype and people do it all the time, I might give it a try. (It's not that I couldn't teach myself even if it is complicated, but just that it might not be worth the effort). In the meantime, I'll check out the igGameCenter and see if that would be useful for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, I just looked at igGameCenter, and while it looks clever, it definitely isn't suited for my purposes. The biggest problem isn't so much lack of card drawing as the fact that my game isn't played on a regular grid board. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
I looked at VASSAL briefly, and my impression was that it was more complicated than I wanted/needed. Also, I wasn't sure if it was really for prototypes; it seemed to be more for implementations of published games.

If I'm wrong on either point, please let me know - if it's really quite simple to throw up a prototype and people do it all the time, I might give it a try.

It's common for game designers to build VASSAL modules for playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.