Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Banas
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking at two themes and really want a game in each and am trying to decide which games to get. I am trying to look for games that take no longer then 2 hours to play.

The first theme is Civ game and the ones I'm thinking of getting are: Tempus, Innovation, and 7 Wonders or, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game.

The second is a more spaced themed game. The ones I'm thinking of in that category are: Eclipse, Ad Astra, or, Cosmic Encounters.

If you have a game that you think is similar to the ones above that is better please let me know.

Thanks for all the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
I think you'll want to throw Civ out the window since it's already well outside your two hour play time and thus your time limit excludes the best game on your list as well as excluding Through the Ages. You'll want to consider that 7 Wonders has a card drafting element that makes for a very different play feel than civilization building games.

Your space games are vastly different to one another. You've got civ building in AA, a bluffing diplomatic game in CE, and presumably civ building in Eclipse but since it hasn't been released yet who apart from play testers and reviewers can say what it's like. Since CE is different to the other two I can say it's the best on your list but that doesn't mean much since it is different.

If you're after a space civ game Twilight Imperium 3 is interesting but needs the first expansion to resolve some issues and a few people thing TI2 was the better game. However, your time limit precludes you choosing this. Star Craft plays more quickly and plays, thankfully, differently to the computer game. I like Nexus Ops but it's a combat game and you appear to be after a civ game and good luck finding it at a decent price anywhere since it's long out of production.

You might want to clarify for people if you're just after a game with a space theme or a civ or empire builder game with a space theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He said games under 2 hours for either theme. That's perfectly clear to me.
That fact that his games are different from each other says he enjoys a variety of games. I don't know what the problem is there either.

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is a great comprehensive worker placement game. It's the discovery/colonial era so it's as late as it gets but it sure is civ theme. I played a 5 player game which may have taken very long, I'm not sure why as 3 of them were very experienced and the other 2 of us were newbies. I played it a 2nd time in a 4 player game and that took well under 2 hours. And yes, it is the sort of game playtime is proportional to the number of players. Personally I feel being able to make money early in this game is so important it really is the path to victory (or the foundation to whatever path you choose) dispite the fact that there are lots of other things to do. Although other people do not seem to have the same problem.

Galaxy Truckeris a great game where players build their spaceship simultaneously and then find out how badly they have all done by sending their ship on a cargo run (but what really happens everyone's ship gets obliterated by meteors and various spacebadguys). Most things are quite simultaneous so there's little down time, it does not depend on the number of players and will go under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Fircrest
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.