tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We command you to write up session reports!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure people are still getting back from Origins... give them a few days to recover and I'm sure we will see something soon (I hope)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I was just expressing my enthusiasm. I dig the Lady of Pain avatar btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to play a demo of the "basic" game, which probably strips much of the nuance and complexity out of it. But it plays pretty similarly to how it's been described.

It's fast, you pretty much trade off playing cards that are bases / generators of units, and playing cards onto those base/generators that will allow you to create units. Eventually someone plays an attack card, and you can contest for control of the middle (which allows you to burn attack cards for points or gives you a point every time an attack takes place), or attack the enemies base (which is generally harder as there are units that can only defend bases and). You spend played cards to build units, commit them to battle across from each other, position sort of matters (no penalty to attack someone directly across from you, etc), if you're attacking the base there are two extra cards that come out that allow you to destroy empty structures. Game ends when you completely destroy the opponents base, or someone runs out of cards (there is no reshuffling).

What's sweet is the four armies are all pretty cool... the humans are humans, the Protoss and Zerg analogs are sweet, and there's the giant megarobot that plays kind of differently from the others. The iconography on the cards is very easy to get the hang of, there's some neat "spend energy to upgrade factory to produce better units" stuff going on that we didn't mess with in the base game, etc.

It seems like it's going to be best with 2 players, I can imagine the combat part getting kind of hairy with 3. But it plays very fast, and there's a good tension due to the speed with which cards are played, and you don't know when the attack is going to start. The fact that attack cards is what triggers attack is also nice because it allows an offensive player to "press", if you did really well in the last fight you probably want to attack again as soon as possible to prevent the other guy from building forces back up, but at the same time you haven't had a chance to recharge your force either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts! Glad you enjoyed the demo game. My voice is finally starting to get back to normal after teaching it (happily) so many times

I personally like the two player game the best, but 3 and 4 (especially team) have their own charms. But to clarify - in a 'free-for-all' game, only two players are involved in combat at any given time. So the Battle rules are exactly the same for multi-player.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sillion
Sweden
Varberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great that you can play 4 player team game. I think all RTS games are best as team games and FFA are always unbalanced.

I really enjoy Starcraft the boardgame as a team game as well.

When will the game be available in Europe?

Really looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucier
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the lucky ones to get a copy and played a full version 2p game and then another 3p game. I will be writing up a review at some point in the near future, but I can lead with this:

This was, without a doubt, my best score for the entire con. I absolutely love the asymmetric play with the different races. So many games to play at the con, and so many things to do, yet all I wanted to do was play another game of Ares' Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.