K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For discussion of the Script-Your-Own-Adventure concept and system, please post to the original thread. I would like to keep this thread for questions/feedback specific to this adventure and ideas for alternative plots and storylines. I will presume that readers are familiar with the original adventure.

Summary of differences:
Your hero starts with 1 At-Will and 1 Daily power face-down to represent the loss of weapons or belongings. The hero has to then find his items to regain the use of his powers and possibly some other benefit as well. On the 7th tile, the player will draw 1 of 3 different mid-game plots which 5 possible outcomes:
1. Find a torn map and disarm a trap to retrieve the missing part.
2. Give-up disarming the trap and continue your search for the exit.
3. Encounter Lief Liepsiege and give him a treasure item.
4. Encounter Lief Liepsiege and threaten him.
5. Find the exit with a locked door and you need to find the key.

The adventure ends with 1 of 3 possible outcomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, will this make it harder or easier on the hero?
Looks very promising...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the system is designed to randomize the plot, therefore the difficulty would be strongly affected by which path the player takes.

For CR01, the easiest/shortest path would be as follows:
1. The hero doesn't draw too many difficult monsters and encounters before recovering his powers (and hopefully a utility power or HP).
2. On the 7th tile, the player draws "Locked Door" and is lucky enough to find the key (treasure token) on the first tile searched.

Of course, there are plenty of things that can go wrong for the player as well (including drawing a bunch of white triangle tiles and waking Strahd).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone think of an interesting 4th random plot to occur at the 7th tile? My original intention was to hardwire each specific Crypt Corner tile (they are marked with numbers) to a particular plot but I could only think up 3 plots. I find this less fiddly than having the players shuffle all the "2A" cards.

Perhaps some story that would be affected by whether Strahd has woken up, which is such a major aspect of this adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stutzmeister
msg tools
This is brilliant stuff! I had been thinking of something along the lines of what you were doing but was having trouble coming up with something simple and clear. The card system is dead on. I had been thinking something like "story tiles" that are shuffled in with the dungeon tile stack but I like what you've come up with. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With the current Artscow card deal would it be possible for us to see this deck up there soon? As always great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks dudes!

Ben, I saw the current Artscow deal but it's only for 54 card design with common back. The SYOA CR01 deck has different backs, not to mentioned only 12 cards.

Hopefully when we have 3 to 4 decks ready, it will be in time for an offer on 54 card custom design. I intend for each "module" to have a different image on the cardback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.