6 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » General

Subject: How does this compare to Fury of Dracula? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Bello
United States
flag msg tools
Fury of Dracula is one of my favorite games. How does this compare? I am guessing simple, less atmosphere, more abstract?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no vampires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
There are no vampires

Very nice. But seriously folks.....

It's the same basic concept, but far more streamlined and hunt focused instead of hunt and fight. This game has no combat or equipment or encounters. Just move and search for the investigators, evade for Jack.

But don't take that to mean it's dull. I like it. It's tight and suspenseful and doesn't feel bogged down like FoD can sometimes get. (Though I like it too...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say that Letters is better as a 2-player than FoD. In fact, I won't play Letters now as multi-player (there's just not enough for each individual inspector to do during the course of the game). However, as a 2-player game it's a wonderful gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not play Letters as multiplayer unless enhancing it with house rules. Also, FoD has a lot of chrome with the cards and you can easily deduce where is Dracula but you must prepare to fight with him. In Letters deducing where is Jack is what's the game's about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Kermit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played too much Fury.....but I think it depends whether you enjoy the combat a lot. For me..I didn't think it was much fun.

The thing I do like is that you reveal the age of the clue. We sometimes think about adding that to LfW, that once a night you can request the turn number for a found clue. But maybe it is too powerful!

It is a great two player game. Not tried with more. I think it could work well with a team of two cops, to bounce ideas and strategy off, but I agree that with more police players the game would probably be a bit dull or domineered by one player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.