Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Magrum
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Nightfall, I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. In Nightfall, there are community cards like Dominion - but there are also cards that only specific players may purchase (2 per player).

I haven't played it yet, but it seems like an easy way to change things up. The only real problem I see is the obvious one of game imbalance.

My opponent gets Village and Witch while I have the choice of Workshop and Mine???

I know which pair I'd rather have available. Even so, I was wondering if anyone else has used this variant or similar variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you incorporate the draft of Nightfall as well, then hopefully you won't pass your opponent a witch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Magrum
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, haha.

I guess in that regard I would have the same problem I do with new Nightfall players (like passing Vulko!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing is that in Dominion there is cards which are more likely to be very good. In Nightfall the cards importance on the game lays in their chains.
I think it is a good idea, but the drafting method should probably be suited by, either more cards in the draft phase or maybe only one personal supply card...
Hope that the experience either way turn out great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lmagrum2 wrote:
After playing Nightfall, I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. In Nightfall, there are community cards like Dominion - but there are also cards that only specific players may purchase (2 per player).

I haven't played it yet, but it seems like an easy way to change things up. The only real problem I see is the obvious one of game imbalance.

My opponent gets Village and Witch while I have the choice of Workshop and Mine???

I know which pair I'd rather have available. Even so, I was wondering if anyone else has used this variant or similar variants.
My friends and I have used this variant before, dating back to last summer, we called it "Pocket Piles". It's good for a laugh and to mix things up, but it's not as fair or balanced as the normal rules, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard on a dice tower podcast a long time ago another idea:

Note - as I am writing this I realize how much I have forgotten of this variant. Hopefully someone else knows what I am talking about and can fill in the blanks...

- the randomizer pile is passed around and each player in turn chooses a card until he/she has a number (say 5). At the end each player reveals their chosen cards, then somehow the other players or player to your left or some such chooses one (or was it two) of your cards to be moved to the center for everyone to purchase. Other cards remain only available to you.

This way each player has a small number of 'private' cards only they can purchase, and a shared pool of other cards.

I like this idea because you get to choose cards you like, but can't be guaranteed that a particular card will stay exclusively yours.

Sorry for the crap remembering - as I said hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
With interesting mechanics of Nightfall, and Thunderstone, and the other Dominion knock-offs, I wonder if the Dominion expansions should have done a little more to shake up things.

So far, there's been mixed types, durations, prizes, potions, and bigger money. I've enjoyed them all, but wouldn't have minded some of the other mechanics in the game I've already invested a bunch in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent O.
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
With interesting mechanics of Nightfall, and Thunderstone, and the other Dominion knock-offs, I wonder if the Dominion expansions should have done a little more to shake up things.

So far, there's been mixed types, durations, prizes, potions, and bigger money. I've enjoyed them all, but wouldn't have minded some of the other mechanics in the game I've already invested a bunch in.

Remember we are still getting the original Dominion game that Donald made. He's not doing any radical new ideas (at least yet), he's polishing the cards/set that he already had from the beginning. So as far as modeling other mechanics, I think that will have to wait until all the original sets are out. Then we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprout wrote:
monteslu wrote:

Remember we are still getting the original Dominion game that Donald made. He's not doing any radical new ideas (at least yet), he's polishing the cards/set that he already had from the beginning. So as far as modeling other mechanics, I think that will have to wait until all the original sets are out. Then we'll see.

Yeah, I know. 7 sets or whatever. Doesn't change that the copy cats are having fun with new stuff.

I still very much like Dominion. I'm sure the purists will tell me I'm wrong, but by the time the last of the original sets the novelty of one minor tweak box might wear off a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

I still very much like Dominion. I'm sure the purists will tell me I'm wrong, but by the time the last of the original sets the novelty of one minor tweak box might wear off a bit.

That's basically what DonaldX himself said, and one of the reasons why he said he is going to release dominion "spin-offs" ufter the last expansion. I can't link you to a specific comment but I remember he said something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent O.
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

Yeah, I know. 7 sets or whatever. Doesn't change that the copy cats are having fun with new stuff.

Yes, but I wonder if DonaldX wants to copy the copycats who are copying his game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would interest me more is bringing the chaining, wounds, different player interaction from Nightfall.

edit: though, considering it again, I might give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
How about this "draft" variant?

-----
1. Random kingdom card(s) selected.
(2 players = 2, 3 players = 1, 4 players = 2, 5 players = 0)

2. Each Player selects _#_ of kingdom cards, one at a time.
(2 players = 6, 3 players = 5, 4 players = 4, 5 players = 5)

3. Players reveal selected cards.

4. Each player selects a card from the revealed stack of the player to their RIGHT that will NOT be available in the 10-kingdom supply piles.

5. Each player selects a card from the revealed stack of the player to their LEFT that will NOT be available in the 10-kingdom supply piles.

6. Play can begin as there are now 10 kingdom supply piles, and 2 piles available to each player. (total of 14 for 2 player, 16 for 3 player, 18 for 4 player, 20 for 5 player.)
------

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
doing the drafting straight from nightfall, it was fun.

In two player, the first round of the draft you throw away a draft. So, if you definitely don't want your opponent to have a witch or a garden, you make sure you throw it away.

I played with my wife and the draft definitely made things interesting, while adding a bit of strategy to the game. What cards work with each other. What cards don't you want anyone else to have, etc...

In short, I was a fan. It is a nice way to mix things up, especially if you can't afford the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yukonhorror wrote:
doing the drafting straight from nightfall, it was fun.

In two player, the first round of the draft you throw away a draft. So, if you definitely don't want your opponent to have a witch or a garden, you make sure you throw it away.

I played with my wife and the draft definitely made things interesting, while adding a bit of strategy to the game. What cards work with each other. What cards don't you want anyone else to have, etc...

In short, I was a fan. It is a nice way to mix things up, especially if you can't afford the expansions.

Can you explain exactly how you did it? I might try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enfynet wrote:
How about this "draft" variant?

-----
1. Random kingdom card(s) selected.
(2 players = 2, 3 players = 1, 4 players = 2, 5 players = 0)

2. Each Player selects _#_ of kingdom cards, one at a time.
(2 players = 6, 3 players = 5, 4 players = 4, 5 players = 5)

3. Players reveal selected cards.

4. Each player selects a card from the revealed stack of the player to their RIGHT that will NOT be available in the 10-kingdom supply piles.

5. Each player selects a card from the revealed stack of the player to their LEFT that will NOT be available in the 10-kingdom supply piles.

6. Play can begin as there are now 10 kingdom supply piles, and 2 piles available to each player. (total of 14 for 2 player, 16 for 3 player, 18 for 4 player, 20 for 5 player.)
------

Thoughts?

Confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
the rules for drafting in Nightfall are online.

But for 2 player:

Deal 4 randomizers to each player. Each player picks a card they DO NOT want available to anyone. They put it back in the box and pass the 3 remaining to the other player.

Then, from the remaining 3, each player chooses a kingdom card only they have access to. The place it face down in front of them and pass the remaining two again.

Amongst these two, you choose one to have as a private kingdom card and one as a common. Place both face down (one in front and one in the middle of table). After the draft is done, all cards are flipped, you deal out from the randomizer deck until 8 are in the center (6 for a 2 player game), and begin.

My wife was able to nab smithy AND festival and totally killed me (having exclusive access to the only +action card in play).

What is kind of fun though, is it is impossible to copycat. Each player goes about building their own deck in very different ways.

For 3 or 4 player games, it is a bit different. The first 2 rounds of the draft are your private cards. On the 3rd round, you choose one to be common and the other to be put back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yukonhorror wrote:
the rules for drafting in Nightfall are online.

But for 2 player:

Deal 4 randomizers to each player. Each player picks a card they DO NOT want available to anyone. They put it back in the box and pass the 3 remaining to the other player.

Then, from the remaining 3, each player chooses a kingdom card only they have access to. The place it face down in front of them and pass the remaining two again.

Amongst these two, you choose one to have as a private kingdom card and one as a common. Place both face down (one in front and one in the middle of table). After the draft is done, all cards are flipped, you deal out from the randomizer deck until 8 are in the center (6 for a 2 player game), and begin.

My wife was able to nab smithy AND festival and totally killed me (having exclusive access to the only +action card in play).

What is kind of fun though, is it is impossible to copycat. Each player goes about building their own deck in very different ways.

For 3 or 4 player games, it is a bit different. The first 2 rounds of the draft are your private cards. On the 3rd round, you choose one to be common and the other to be put back in the box.

I like how in the 2 player draft, you don't get to make a pile private until after the first pass. That could help balance things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.