Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Much has been posted at the Geek about various strategies for winning, and the virtues of letting "weaker" enemies run to Odin's Hall, and when to let enemies cross certain thresholds. But enough with winning: how have you LOST at Yggdrasil?
I ask because this might prove to be an interesting way of looking at the whole question of strategy. I have played 19 games thus far, all below the Level Five difficulty, ranging from solitaire to five players. I have 11 wins and 8 losses. (Yes, yes, I know, I know: I really need to up my difficulty level. I just want to get bored with the lower difficulties first, to give the game more play-longevity: I'm like that with every game). How have I lost?:

-two losses due to an enemy (the Jormungand and Hel) making it to Odin's Hall.
-one loss due to three enemies getting beyond the 3 line (into Valhalla).
-four losses due to five enemies getting beyond the 5 line; where the five enemies were varied from game to game. Lately my "five enemy losses" have seen three enemies across the 5 line and two enemies across the 3 line.
-one loss due to six across the 5 line (yes, that was a Nidhogg loss).

So that's my query, really: not as to what specific mistakes you made, but (simply) what did the board look like in terms of enemy positions when you lost? This might prove interesting in terms of what sort of situations players need to avoid in Yggdrasil. Clearly, in my games thus far, the enemies torching Valhalla has not been a pressing concern.
Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every loss we've had (about eight) have been due to five enemies beyond the wall.

Four times this situation arose due to Nidhogg dragging a friend over the wall when we least expected it.

Three times it was Fenrir as the fifth, leaving the player not enough actions to arm and do battle.

Once it was (I think) Hel, and the person doing the fighting had a bad draw and two bad rolls (as Tyr).

It's nice to see the variety of loss conditions. I had expected that the end of the game would always be a poorly-timed Ragnarok card. But they seem to up the difficulty rather than creating the loss by themselves... which means the end of the game has always been very tense, and very exciting!

Good question, interested to hear what others have experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember most. But there has been at least 1 lose with someone in Odin's Hall (I believe it was Hel--we drew an Angry Hel after beating her back a step). The rest were with 5 across the line (some with 1 or 2 across the Valhalla line) and only 1 with 6 (Nidhögg!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just edited my original post, as I had confused an Odin's Hall defeat with a Valhalla defeat in my mind. So, again, I've had two Odin's Hall defeats, one Valhalla defeat, four Line 5 defeats, and one six enemies across Line 5 loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 3 games (2x2p, 1x6p, no losses), but I can say that the 5-line was brutal in every game with multiple instances of 5 across or threatening to cross that had to be beaten back at the last minute. The three line was a little easier with only one or two serious situations per game. The 1 line was never crossed in 2p, but was crossed twice in the 6p game before being beaten back (the last crossing, by Hel, came on the very last turn just for dramatic effect).

Also, in one 2p and in the 6p, a 5 across loss was prevented in each by a timely rune completion.

Just going off the anecdotal evidence of this thread and personal experience, I'd say the outer defenses are definitely the most difficult to hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:

Just going off the anecdotal evidence of this thread and personal experience, I'd say the outer defenses are definitely the most difficult to hold.

That's starting to be my impression, too. The argument, "At most (apart from Nidhogg effects and the use of special cards), each enemy will only cross into Odin's Hall once, so let most of the enemies run to the end, and then drive them back", doesn't take into consideration the most common way of losing: not a lone wolf (no pun intended) making it to the seven space, but a multitude of enemies just getting into Asgard proper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
With no angry enemy cards, I am 1-1. With two angry enemy cards, I am 2-2. All 3 losses are to five enemies inside the wall of Asgard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
learning the game oi lost cause of that darn snake bring some one across the 5 line, also losing turns to the wolf when he got pas the line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Shalnov
Japan
Tsubame-shi
Niigata-ken
flag msg tools
What is the most annoying part, is that most of the games we were lost with just one not successful die roll. All the game you are doing just fine, but in the end, because of only one die roll, you lose. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.