Arkham Horror» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Arkham League 2.2 - The Madness Continues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
This is the PBF thread for Arkham Horror PBF League 2.2 - The Madness Continues .
This is the second game of a series of games featuring the League Scenarios found here: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Scenario

The players currently participating are:

d10-1 ninjadorg - Joe Diamond
d10-2 goodshepherd - Amanda Sharpe
d10-3 Daimbert - Harvey Walters
d10-4 JGT - Bob Jenkins
d10-5 Moogle - Michael McGlen
d10-6 Ambriel - Gloria Goldberg

If you would like to resume playing, please check in in this thread.

The Scenario this time is:

The Investigator Pool for this scenario contains:
* Harvey Walters
* Amanda Sharpe
* Vincent Lee
* Sister Mary
* Dexter Drake
* Gloria Goldberg
* "Ashcan" Pete
* Joe Diamond
* Jenny Barnes
* Michael McGlen
* Bob Jenkins
* Monterey Jack

Should a player spot open up and you are interested in filling it, please send me a note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
The turn order is randomized.
Please choose your Investigators and decide who gets Calvin this time

You had 7 unspent Clues, which will be placed on the Bank (see scenario rules)

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ding dong - I'm in! Am I still in the asylum??!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, only 7 clues. Well, this will be a very nice challenge. Who's already jumping to play Michael McGlen? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe please!

EDIT - the continuity will blow my mind if I have to play someone else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in! The last one was a nail-biter; I'm going for the whole finger now!

My only caveat is I hate playing the same Investigator consecutively, so I don't want Jenny. I'm nearer to the bottom of the ladder, so I'd like Bob. (Unless NO ONE wants Michael, which seems ridiculous to even mention.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Edland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. I'd like to play Gloria again unless someone picks her first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

My preferred way to deal with this is that if someone had a character in the last game, they get to continue on with that character if they want to, but if they want to choose a different character then that character is up for grabs. That way the people who want to play around with continuity -- especially in flavour text -- can do so while people who want to play different characters can do so as well.

At least until that character is no longer available [grin].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in, but I'm not sure who I want to use as a character. I'll let everyone decide first, then make my decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, all of us reported IN. Let's start choosing!

d10-2 goodshepherd
d10-3 Daimbert
d10-4 JGT
d10-5 Moogle
d10-6 Ambriel

Well, one of us will probably take Michael. Any other preference? JGT indicated that Bob would be preferred, and Ambriel's going for Gloria. I would take Michael if no one else would like to, no pressure! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
I'm also in, but I'm not sure who I want to use as a character. I'll let everyone decide first, then make my decision.

Unfortunately, you're next up to choose, so that won't work [grin].

If you stay with Amanda, I'll be taking Harvey Walters again pretty much for certain. If you don't, then I might take Amanda, but I haven't decided yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Let's see:

d10-2 goodshepherd
d10-3 Daimbert - Harvey Walters/Amanda Sharpe
d10-4 JGT - Bob Jenkins
d10-5 Moogle - Michael McGlen
d10-6 Ambriel - Gloria Goldberg

Which means only goodshepherd needs to choose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:

If you stay with Amanda, I'll be taking Harvey Walters again pretty much for certain. If you don't, then I might take Amanda, but I haven't decided yet.

Well, I decided that I would like to give this story some sort of closure, though I don't know if she'll survive to the end.

I'll take...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll confirm that I'll take Harvey Walters again, after briefly considering Monterey Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
Daimbert wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:

Well, I decided that I would like to give this story some sort of closure, though I don't know if she'll survive to the end.

You'll kinda have to put at least some kind of denoument on it, since she doesn't appear in the next round. Neither does Harvey. I'm thinking about having Harvey leave town to gather more information if he makes it out of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would figure Jenny did the same thing: caught some whiff of her sister elsewhere, but Calvin wasn't done with Arkham yet. (But I'm so lousy at endings.) Maybe whoever gets Calvin can write a quick blurb to excuse Jenny for a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:
Daimbert wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:

You'll kinda have to put at least some kind of denoument on it, since she doesn't appear in the next round. Neither does Harvey. I'm thinking about having Harvey leave town to gather more information if he makes it out of the scenario.

If she lives, she'll probably hop on that train. (Perhaps all three leave on the same train, albeit for different purposes...)

If she gets devoured, my problem is solved, but not in the way I want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, then, who gets Calvin?

Gloria and Joe can't (no unique items).
His Sanity benefit makes Harvey really powerful, but Harvey doesn't need it as much as others because of his ability. Speed and Sneak increases would be nice for Harvey, though.
Amanda and Michael would be left without any unique item except him.
Bob could find him useful, but his Will and Speed/Sneak aren't bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
Daimbert wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:
Daimbert wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:

If she lives, she'll probably hop on that train. (Perhaps all three leave on the same train, albeit for different purposes...)

If she gets devoured, my problem is solved, but not in the way I want to.

Devoured investigators are kept in the pool for the next scenario, so we do have -- and have to have -- ways to reset devoured investigators after a scenario ... and so she could still leave even if devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:
So, then, who gets Calvin?

Gloria and Joe can't (no unique items).
His Sanity benefit makes Harvey really powerful, but Harvey doesn't need it as much as others because of his ability. Speed and Sneak increases would be nice for Harvey, though.
Amanda and Michael would be left without any unique item except him.
Bob could find him useful, but his Will and Speed/Sneak aren't bad.

It depends on what's most critical.

Harvey would benefit most from the Speed boost, and the rest of us might be able to use Harvey as a body shield as we force him to fight the worst the Cup has to offer.

Bob would benefit most from the Sneak boost, although I wonder how much use that would be in a scenario that requires more fight than flight.

Everyone benefits from Calvin's Strong Mind, but I would suspect it would turn Michael into a fearless killing machine. It could turn Michael into as good a Gate Closer as Harvey, maybe better with all the Clues he might reap.

Bob and Harvey are penalized least from the Unique Item substitution, but let's face it: as a group, we're going to be down one Unique Item anyway, and Scenario 1 proved that none of us are all that cheap about sharing our items when it's necessary, or even a halfway good notion. So this whole paragraph means close to nothing. (I think it would only matter if Monterey were in the group, and duh, don't give him Calvin. Ever.)

Pros and Cons: it's either Harvey or Michael, and it's easier to cover for Harvey's Speed than it is to cover for Michael's low Sanity and lowish Will. Like, say, with a bike Bob could sell you. whistle

So I vote Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
If it's okay with everyone I'll start the setup in half an hour with the assumption you are going to give Calvin to Michael - unless I hear a veto from anyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Chapter 2 - The Madness Continues

I reawaken in a doctor's office. A young man, I assume to be the physician, is ministering to another young lady seated on the other side of the partitioning curtain. "Is it tender here sister?" The man presses on the woman's shoulder, and she winces in pain. "I guess so. Next time you see someone in trouble, you go for help. I have bandaged you up a couple of times now." I must have made some noise at this, as the man turned back to me. "My name is Dr. Lee. Your friends say you passed out at Velma's. Care to elaborate on what a healthy young man is doing that would cause him to pass out at a diner?" I scratch my head, wince at the unexpected pain, and begin to explain. I tell him of the attack on my town, cursing the men who took my Ella, and begin speaking of the chance meeting of newfound friends. The more I speak, the more the woman in the next bed grows restless. "Doctor, I really must insist I be allowed to leave. The work of the Lord does not wait for anyone, and I fear the longer I am here, the forces opposing me grow." Smiling he gives the young lady a scrip and sends her out to the front. "Sister Mary is one of the hardest working people in Arkham, and that is coming from a doctor." I ask after my compatriots, and am told they are awaiting my convalescence outside. The good doctor pronounces me fine, and sends me out to the waiting area. As I exit, I spy Jenny talking with Sister Mary. As I walk up the conversation ends and they both look my direction. "How are you feeling, sugar?" I wave off the concern, and inquire as to our next step. "Joe is on it. He says he has some people he knows. A visiting professor, someone he heard was in town. Don't sweat, I know Joe." Still feeling apprehensive, we head out into the waning afternoon sun making our way back to Ma's.

Night falls, and my fears grow. Each creak, every rustle sends chills up my spine. Cursing myself for cowardice, I make my way down the hall towards McGlen's room. I knock lightly on the door. "Come in." I open the door, and poke my head in. "Can I help you?" I introduce myself, and reference carrying him down the hall. I tell him my story, a story I find grows in horror with each retelling. I then tell him that I fear for my life, and would appreciate his protection. "Well, I ain't much for protecting people. I'm more in for hurtin' them. You see my partner Louie and I..." McGlen recounts the tale of his partner disappearing into the river, and the fruitless search for his body afterwards. I listen, but keep glancing at the window. I hear the sounds of movement under it. McGlen stands and walks to the window, seeing my nervousness. "Ain't nothing out there. Just somebody's dog or somethin'." As he looks out the window, he back pedals nearly knocking me over. "Damn it, I swore I was gonna kill that thing once and for all. Grab your coat, we're going hunting." I run back to my room, confused and terrified. I can't go outside to hunt whatever it is McGlen has seen. I am no fighter, I haven't a weapon. I was imploring him to protect me. McGlen pops in my room, and seeing my fear tells me to stay put. He has a score to settle. He heads out into the night, carrying his gun. I cower under my bed, hoping nothing enters my room.

Day breaks upon me. I wake under the bed, still in the clothes from the night before. I rub the sleep from my eyes, and open my door slowly. It seems I have escaped unscathed from whatever horror McGlen saw. I proceed down the hall and knock on his door. No answer. "He's not back yet." Ma pokes her
head out of McGlen's room. "I do a spot of cleanin' for him now and then. Big lug always seems to find trouble." She heads off down the stairs as Jenny emerges into the hallway. "Mornin' Calvin. Sleep all right?" I quickly tell Jenny of the events of the night prior. "Well nothin' we can do about it now. I guess we can ask Joe about this McGlen fella." We go downstairs, eat the breakfast that Ma has spread out, and head out into Arkham. Apparently, Jenny has a meeting with Joe at the local university. Some professor she is supposed to talk to.

We enter the building with only a modicum of difficulty. The hallways are long and seem to have turns almost at random. We eventually find the correct door, and knock upon it. The door opens on Joe, an older man with large bushy sideburns, and a younger woman with glasses. "Welcome, you must be Miss Barnes. My name is Harvey Walters. This is one of my prize students Amanda Sharpe. I don't believe I have met your associate." I step forward and proffer my hand, which the professor shakes heartily. "Thank you for joining us. I was catching up Amanda and Mr. Diamond here on some findings I unearthed at the library over the past few months. Given the odd circumstances about the town and its surrounding areas, I have been investigating a few disturbances. It seems the number of missing people has gone up dramatically in the last 3 months. The disappearances seem mostly concentrated in heavily wooded areas. Rumors abound as to what is causing them, but the police have yet to arrest a suspect or suspects in these cases. I have been harboring some suspicion of a growing group in Arkham. The members of which bear some resemblance to the Cult of the Hundred." As he begins to detail the activities and habits of this order, Jenny becomes visibly more distraught. "Joe, these are the people that took my sister. Joe, these are the no good low lifes that made off with my sister!" Joe stands and takes Jenny into his arms. She pushes him away, "I don't need a hug, I need a drink." With that Jenny heads out the door. Joe goes after her, leaving me with the professor and the student. I ask the professor about the members of this group, trying to discern if they could have any bearing on the abduction of my dear Ella. He seems unsure of the details, but mentions it could be. He says that he will look into it for me. I thank him and make my way towards Ma's. I hope that whatever has Jenny's sister has the keys to finding Ella...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools

Worshippers: Ithaqua's worshippers eat the flesh of their fellow men, gaining supernatural power through their dark practice. Cultists have their toughness increased by 2.

Power: Icy Winds - While Ithaqua stirs in his slumber, any investigator in a street area at the end of the Mythos phase loses 1 Stamina. In addition, all Weather cards are discarded without their special effects taking place.

Initial Inventory

.45 Automatic, Bullwhip, Lucky Cigarette Case - Expert Occultist

Dark Cloak - Pallid Mask - Find Gate - 2 of Speed, Sneak, Fight

Nameless Cults, Cultes Des Ghoules - Flesh Ward, Dread Curse of Azatoth - Speed

2 of Knife, .18 Derringer, .38 Revolver - Cabala of Saboth, Holy Water - Will

Dynamite, Tommygun - Stealth - Calvin Wright

Shotgun, Whiskey - Mists of Releh, Shrivelling - Bravery

Available Allies:
(Basegame)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tobias
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools

Mythos Phase:

Scientist Warns of Dimensional Rift!
(Headline)

A Gate to Yuggoth opens on the Unvisited Isle and releases a Witch and a Ghoul.
Headline: All Dimensional Shamblers and Hounds of Tindalos are returned to the cup. If one or more monster is returned to the cup, raise the terror level by 1.

Upkeep Phase:

Please decide on your initial skill slider settings and on your orders for the first turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Edland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Glora had been released from the hospital last week. Had all those things happened or was it just a dream? She was back at Velma's diner. This time the inspiration did not fault her. She was writing at a furious pace. But poetry now, not crime novels. Strange and slightly unnerving poems. After lunch she lef the diner, huddling in the cold wind. So cold this early in the year? She sought shelter in the store and started browsing the shelves.

Speed/Sneak:4/0
Fight/Will:1/4
Lore/Luck:4/2

Move to the General Store.
Draw 3 items, choose 1 to buy

I got a very good weapon from my initial draw, but maybe I can get a good one for Amanda or Harvey as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.