Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really liked Disco Inferno and Star Wars. Therefore, I'm going to start "Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings". Sauron and his evil minions are seeking out the One Ring. Only through destroying all (or enough that it's 1:1 ratio) of the Humanoids will he accomplish his goal. What follows is pieced together from other games (thanks Rubric, Melsana) and my own modifications.

NOTE: Have included The One Ring special rules, changed Elrond for Gollum, and watered down the Three Hunters (no more Hunters PM, only knowing who each other is). As always, feedback is appreciated.

Here's a link to a site where you can find your hobbit name, before we start, everybody let me know if you want to use your hobbit name, or just username.-- http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/ --

I'm anticipating the same pace as the Star Wars game (24 hour days, 24 hour nights), just because I've never moderated before and I don't want to do a disservice by my not being available. (Day/Night cycles at 7:00pm PST)

Players Signed Up:
1. jmilum
2. kimapesan
3. kasreb
4. dbmurph22
5. yekrats
6. melsana
7. cornjob
8. stuey
9. xandryyte
10. KakarisMaelstorm
11. perfectsim411
12. gregarious
13. silverpenny
14. spielguy
15. pieman
16. mjwillis
17. magma
18. michyrec
19. thomasj
20. sky knight x

Rules:

If you don't know how to play, click here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

for some general background rules. Some of that stuff is outdated and/or not being used in this game, but it will give you the basic idea of how to play.

Special Rule: The One Ring- All of Werewolf: Lord of the Rings centers around this pivotal piece of metal. Frodo will start the game with the One Ring, but may pass it during the night (before a Villan kill). This pass is optional, and does not have to occur. If Frodo chooses to pass the Ring, he will PM me whom he wishes to pass it to. If he chooses a Villan, the game is immediately over, as the Ring is returned to Sauron. If he chooses Gollum, and there are less than eight players left in the game, Gollum takes the Ring and hides where the small amount of remaining players cannot find him (Gollum wins). Any player will accept the ring (exceptions see player descriptions), and the passing player will only be informed that they no longer have the Ring. The new Ring owner will be informed that they are the new owners of the One Ring (and may pass the Ring like Frodo). It is possible to pass the Ring back to the same person you received it from, just not on the same night. Some special rules concerning the One Ring pertain to certain characters (especially Boromir and Gollum). If the current Ring-Bearer is killed by the Villans, the game is over, and the Villans win. If the current Ring-Bearer is lynched, I will choose a random good guy to give the Ring to. I will PM this person that they are the new owner of the One Ring (I don't want to randomly pick a Villan, as that would be kind of anti-climatic). If any of the special One Ring victory conditions are not met before a typical werewolf win (Villans all die, 1:1 ratio but Hobbit still has the Ring), then winners are determined in the usual manner.

Number of Players and their Roles:

I am looking for 17-19 players, with the following roles assigned randomly to participants.

3 Villans (wolves)--These characters will be the wolves of Lord of the Rings.
5 "Standard" Humanoid Power Roles--These will include variants on Seer, Bodyguard and 3 Mason-like players
2 Human Traitors--The "rockers/anti masons" of Lord of the Rings
3 Humanoid Minor Roles--Described in detail below
5-7 Basic "Hobbits"--The Villagers of Lord of the Rings

Insta-lynch: Don't like it. Not using it. Later in the game if there is a known wolf or something, I will make exceptions as needed.

Private Messages: Villans only, plus one or two of the special roles. Admittely unenforceable, but people seem to be honoring the rule in other games. Otherwise, all communication takes place publicly on this forum. Please copy me on legal PM's -- I would like to hear the plotting. No need to copy me on the illegal ones, obviously.

Detailed Role Descriptions:

VILLANS (Wolves):

Sauron- This bad boy is Lord of Mordor. Besides having a really bad case of red-eye, he wants the One Ring pretty bad. In fact, he'd kill for it. As Lord of Mordor, Sauron is the leader of the Villans and has the final say on Nightime "feasts".
Special Power: The All-Seeing Eye- Once per night, Sauron may attempt to "see" any player still alive (PM Moderator with your target). He will then find out who exactly that character is (including any special powers or roles they may have). This role is kind of like a wolven seer.

Saruman- He's the White Wizard of Isengard, and a pretty snazzy dresser to boot. Whispering words of "wisdom", he persuades many to do what they originally might not have wanted.
Special Power: Words of Wisdom- Once per game Saruman may unveil himself and elect to make another player's vote for them during the day phase. Saruman need only announce his role and post (in bold) who's vote he's taking, and how that person will now vote. Players other than Saruman may claim to use this power, but the actual voting will not be changed. Upon the final votes and lynching, the Saruman vote will be reflected (or not reflected in case of a liar) in the final vote tally.

Balrog- With a corncob pipe and a button nose...oh wait, wrong story. The Balrog is big, mean, and hot. Even getting close to this flaming demon is enough to singe the hairs right off your little feet.
Special Power: Fires of Moria- If the Balrog is lynched, he may choose any one player to "burn" (kill) as they tie the noose around his neck (Balrog: Send me a PM with your burn choice. If no choice is made within a reasonable time frame, I will choose randomly for you). The Balrog is still lynched, but the target player is also killed. (exception: Gandalf the Grey)

HUMANOID POWER ROLES:

Gandalf the Grey- Hobbit lover and pipe smoker extrordinaire, Gandalf is a powerful ally to the Hobbits. His extraordinarily long life and great wisdom grant him insight beyond that of normal people.
Special Power: Learn- This is essentially the seer role. Each night Gandalf should PM me the name of the person he wishes to "learn" about. He will find out if that character is good or bad.
Extra:
- Due to his solemn duty to defeat the Balrog, if the Balrog chooses to take down Gandalf as his special power (this would happen only if the Balrog chose Gandalf accidentally), Gandalf is not defeated (killed), but comes back as Gandalf the White. In this state, he will be revealed to all, and cannot be lynched (I will announce who Gandalf is, and this person may not receive lynch votes). Gandalf will not accept the Ring if it is passed to him. The player who attempted to pass it to him will only learn that they failed to pass the Ring.

Boromir, Lord of Gondor- Although Boromir is a Man, his dedication to protecting the Hobbits triumphs all. Despite misguided attempts to take the ring for himself, Boromir is a consummate team player, offering up himself to save another.
Special Power: Noble Defense- This is the bodyguard role. Once per night, Boromir should PM me with the name of the person he wishes to "defend". Should the villans choose to kill this person during the night, Boromir will defend them, and the intended target will not die. The villans and the target will find out who Boromir is, but due to the shroud of night, neither Boromir nor the target will learn the identities of any of the villans.
Extra- Boromir has seen many battles, and they have worn on his resolve. If Boromir is passed the Ring, he will accept it, and now plays for the Villans. He loses his Special Power, and wins if the Villans win. He is NOT allowed to pass the Ring to a Villan (or pass it to anyone for that matter), although they will take it from him if the Villans kill him.

The Three Hunters- Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli have forged strong bonds of friendship through perils. Due to this connection, these characters will start the game knowing the identities of their fellow Hunters (the mason role). These three may NOT PM each other at any time day or night. Only the identities of their partners will be known. All communication must take place in game.

Aragorn, Ranger of the North- Aragorn is the rightful heir to the throne of Gondor. The blood of Isildur flows through his veins. Only he has the power to once again weild the sword Narsil.
Special Power: Leader of the Hunters- Although all three hunters play valuable roles, Aragorn is their leader. Once per night, he is allowed to check another player to determine if they are a Hobbit. Aragorn must send me a PM indicating which player he would like to check. If they are a Hobbit, Aragorn will learn only that, that they are a Hobbit. If they are not a Hobbit, Aragorn will learn nothing.
Extra- Aragorn is a noble man, and as such, will not accept the Ring if it is passed to him. The player who attempted to pass it will only learn that they failed to pass the Ring.

Legolas of the Woodland Realm- Despite his youthful appearance, Legolas has seen many seasons. As an elf, his is supremely pure, and easily resists the One Ring's clutches.
Extra- Legolas is an elf, and does not feel the pull of the Ring as others do. If Legolas is passed the Ring, he will not accept it. The player who attempted to pass it will only learn that they failed to pass the Ring.

Gimli, Son of Gloin- Short as a tree stump and twice as hard to move, Gimli is a master of the axe. Although his ventures to the surface have been limited, he is supremely attuned to the underground.
Extra- Gimli is not as power hungry as most, and is dedicated to the cause. He does not feel the pull of the Ring as others. If Gimli is passed the Ring, he will not accept it. The player who attempted to pass it will only learn that they failed to pass the Ring.

THE HUMAN TRAITORS:

There are always Benedict Arnolds, and in Lord of the Rings, we have two. Bill Ferney and Grima Wormtongue are so evil, and so twisted, they would help the Lord of Mordor if they thought it would be to their advantage. Both characters will start the game knowing the identity of each other. (Bill and Grima win if the Villans win)

Bill Ferney- Smelly as the mules he sells, Bill Ferney is not a very nice person. He has been seen in the company of Ringwraiths and other ne'erdowells. He may PM Grima Wormtongue any time during the DAY, but MAY NOT PM anyone else. The Villans are not allowed to PM Bill. Ferney may not pass the Ring.

Grima Wormtongue- Old and decrepid, with the weirdest hair ever, Grima Wormtongue is Saruman's right hand man. However, fearing his safety, Saruman has decided not to tell Grima whom he is disguised as. Grima may PM Bill Ferney any time during the DAY, but MAY NOT PM anyone else. The Villans are not allowed to PM Grima. Grima may not pass the Ring.

HUMANOID MINOR ROLES:

Gollum, Slimy Slinker- Consumed by the power of the precious, Gollum will give anything he can to steal the Ring from the nasty Hobbittses. Gollum wins if at any time if he posesses the One Ring when there are less than eight (8) players left alive in the game.
Special Power: Ring Searcher Gollum had the One Ring in his posession for many years. This time made him attuned to feeling if another player has the One Ring. Each night, Gollum may PM me a target player. If that player has the One Ring, Gollum will find that out. He will NOT find out who that player is, only that they currently have the One Ring. If Gollum targets anyone else, he will learn nothing. Gollum will appear Hobbit to Aragorn's sense.
Extra- If the Villans kill Gollum, Gollum does not die. The Villans do learn who Gollum is (if he has the Ring they take it and win the game), as well as people Gollum has checked for the Ring. They will learn which player he checked and in which round. However, they will not learn anything other than what Gollum himself has already been told.

Bilbo Baggins of Bag End- Bilbo has had quite a few adventures of his own. Most of the time he was accompanied by his good friend Gandalf the Grey, but not always.
Special Power: Gandalf's Pal Once each night, Bilbo may PM me with a player's name. If that player is Gandalf, Bilbo will learn his identidy. Gandalf will receive no notification, nor is Bilbo allowed to PM Gandalf. If Bilbo names any other player, Bilbo learns nothing.

Frodo Baggins of the Shire- Frodo, stout hearted and just a bit girly looking. He has the resolve of the greatest of Hobbits, and feet faster than most. Through his perilous trek through Middle Earth, he has learned much.
Special Power: The One Ring Once during the game, Frodo may choose to wear the One Ring. Should he be chosen to be killed by the Villans, he will be spared. However, if as a result of this, the Villans will learn of his identity. If Frodo is not chosen to be killed, he may not use his power the rest of the game. (Frodo, PM me on the night you wish to be safe).

The rest of the players will be basic Hobbits just trying to make their way through the Shire before it's scoured.

Tie Breakers:

Tie breakers will be decided by Gandalf and Saruman sending me a number between one and ten (any number, not just integers). Closest to the one I randomly pick wins. Should they send me the same number, first one to send me breaks ties. If either Gandalf or Saruman is dead, the other one will automatically win (but will not be informed of this auto win, only that they won). If both Gandalf and Saruman are dead, I will choose randomly. (NOTE: I will still call for Gandalf and Saruman's numbers, so as to not tell anyone extra information).

Non-use of Votes and/or Roles:

Any non-vote will be an "abstain" and will not count for anything. Any non-use of a role will result in just that, nothing. If the Villans choose not to kill anyone, either message me "NO KILL" or just don't message the name of anyone to kill.

Role Revelation:

If you are lynched, I will reveal your generic role (good, bad).

If you are killed (by Villans), no-one will learn your role.

If you are killed by the Balrog during a lynch, no-one will learn your role (you were incinerated).

Any other questions, or if you have any rules suggestions, please post below. If you want to sign up, PM me or post below. Start date is flexible. Have fun!

EDIT: (typos already, sheesh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings -- Sign Up Now!!
This looks cool but I have to say this:

1) Sauron can be lynched? Really??? How do you lynch an eye? sauron

It's your game of course, but maybe Sauron could be renamed The Witch King or something along those lines... a powerful minion to be sure...

2) What happens if Frodo is killed? Is the game over at that point? Or is it possible that Frodo could PM the moderator and pass the ring on to someone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay never mind about changing Sauron - I see now how the power matches the role. That's incredibly powerful...

But I still do have that question about Frodo.

Otherwise the setup is quite good... we'll see how it plays out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bersak
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds interesting, I'd trade for a copy...I mean I'll play. When are you shooting for as a starting date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looking to start june 20, but that is flexible at this point. Like I said above, if in reading the rules you notice a possible balance issue, please let me know. I'd rather change the game before the problem than go "whoops" during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Okay never mind about changing Sauron - I see now how the power matches the role. That's incredibly powerful...

But I still do have that question about Frodo.

Otherwise the setup is quite good... we'll see how it plays out...
I was considering making Frodo pass it to another Hobbit, and if all the Hobbits were dead, then the baddies won. I'm not sure how that will affect gameplay though, since then the Villans will spend time looking eliminating the Hobbits, and that gives the power roles additional safety (which I'm already concerned about). We'll see what happens. If you can think of a good way to fix that, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ptper,

Looking over the three hunters' roles, I think they're a bit powerful, especially Aragorn.

I think the fact they are masons (PM each other any time) is what makes them particularly over-powered if they also have the ability to find others' identities. Because they can pool their abilities and choose a single target - they all examine that person, and they will get a read on whether that person is Sauron, Balrog, or evil toadie. If the person is not, then that person is pretty much safe. Unless he's Saruman of course - but then, Saruman isn't really dangerous until he reveals himself, and then he's done for.

As masons, they'll quickly be able to pool together a safe list of people that shouldn't be lynched. After two nights they could come out and put up five names of people that are safe - themselves plus two that they've identified as not one of the other roles. A third night, and that goes up to six safe, and combine that with eliminations, and it won't take long for everyone to figure out who the villains are. Don't forget too - even though they have names, they only have to reveal themselves as hunters, not by name, so the villains won't know whether the person revealing is Aragorn (the best one to target at night obviously) or one of the other two. While they're spending time on the masons, Gandalf meanwhile can safely NOT scan anyone that the masons ID as safe, and it won't be long before he can come out with his own list of safe people.

Just my two cents... maybe it wouldn't turn out that way at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ptper,

You could make it a requirement that Frodo choose to pass the ring on to someone else during his night, esp if Frodo is fairly certain he's going to get killed. But he has to choose a specific person to give it to.

And here's the kicker of course - he could hand it to a villain unwittingly.

Or he hands it to a non-hobbit, who ends up being corrupted to the point of selfishness. He doesn't tell anyone he has the ring... he simply holds on to it until he's either killed by villains (villains win) or until the villains and good guys are at equal numbers, at which point he wins with the villains. So if he hands it to Boromir... Boromir will likely stop guarding anyone. Gandalf will use his seer powers for evil purposes. Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and one more role!

You forgot Gollum of course!

Here's how I would envisions Gollum:

Gollum appears to be a normal hobbit, but neither wants the villains or the good guys to win the game. He only wants his preshus back.

To that end, Gollum's power is to find the ring-bearer. He asks the moderator every night to target a person, and if that person has the ring, Gollum simply knows something very special.

Until it's time for the ring-bearer to pass on the ring, whether that's Frodo or another hobbit who has been given the ring. Then, if Gollum manages to have the ring passed to him, Gollum wins - and everyone else loses.

It's also important if the Villains target Gollum for a kill at night. Gollum is not killed if he is targeted, but instead divulges what information he knows... and if he happens to have found out at that point who has the ring, then the moderator tells the villains that information. Bad news for the good guys if that happens...

And what if a non-hobbit happens to have the ring, rather than a hobbit? Tough noogies for Gollum. He won't be getting it back at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game should be postponed for awhile (aven beyond my personal reasons!). It will give time to flesh out all the possible roles, tweaks, and make it the best game it can. Plus, the discussion will keep it at the top of the active list, get exposure, and get more particpants. There is a bunch - a BUNCH - of werewolf games just starting up....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I think the game should be postponed for awhile (aven beyond my personal reasons!). It will give time to flesh out all the possible roles, tweaks, and make it the best game it can. Plus, the discussion will keep it at the top of the active list, get exposure, and get more particpants. There is a bunch - a BUNCH - of werewolf games just starting up....

Thanks for the responses everybody (well mainly kima). I'm at school right now, but I have some "tweak" ideas I'll work on when I get home (about 2 hrs). Let me know what you think once the tweaks are up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tentively sign up - depending on when it actually is started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in signing up. I've never played a Werewolf game on-line (only real-life) but this sounds fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some addtions have been made to the rules.

-Added One Ring rules for winning, passing, etc...

-Took Elrond out, added Gollum

-Changed Three Hunters roles to something a bit more appropriate (at least a bit better).

As always, if you have any thoughts on the game, or how it's going to be played, or any ideas at all, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ptper - like the setup as revised.

Can I suggest some minor powers for Legolas & Gimli?

I'd suggest that Gimli, being a stubborn dwarf, is resistant to Saruman's suggestions - thus, if Saruman tries to manipulate his vote, not only is Saruman exposed (as normal) but Gimli's vote remains Gimli's and Saruman's one-shot fails.

And for Legolas - being the sensitive, far-seeing elf, can choose (once during the game) to sense out Sauron's evil-eye - that is, Legolas knows who Sauron has targeted that night for spying. For that one night, Legolas will learn what Sauron learns about that person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and to be clear...

If one of the "anti-masons" (Bill or Grima) is passed the ring, they keep it but don't pass it on to anyone. If they are killed at night, villains win as usual, and if they are lynched, the ring goes to a random good person.

Also it should be clear that once Boromir has the ring, he does not give it up to anyone. He has to be lynched in order to get the ring back in the hands of the good guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Oh and to be clear...

If one of the "anti-masons" (Bill or Grima) is passed the ring, they keep it but don't pass it on to anyone. If they are killed at night, villains win as usual, and if they are lynched, the ring goes to a random good person.

Also it should be clear that once Boromir has the ring, he does not give it up to anyone. He has to be lynched in order to get the ring back in the hands of the good guys.

Right, must've forgotten to add that, I do want Boromir to have no "pass" priveliges. In writing these rules, I really think Boromir's going to be tough to play, as he has the most possible paths to victory, but they all put a huge bullseye on his back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As should be the case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think the toughest part of this will be supressing the urge to actually act your role, but rather keep it secret for as long as possible. I know if I were Gollum, I'd be tempted to writes the way Gollum speakses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings -- Sign Up Now!! -- Tenative Start June 20
I'd love to play this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the June 20 will work for everyone, otherwise I'm going to have to push it back to july 4-5 or so (going on vacation). We'll see how signups are in a couple days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ptper wrote:
Hopefully the June 20 will work for everyone, otherwise I'm going to have to push it back to july 4-5 or so (going on vacation). We'll see how signups are in a couple days.
When is your vacation??

If you are truely doing 24hr days and 24hr nights like I did for Star Wars... then you need to realize how much longer that game will take.

I started my game on May 19 and it will probably last to the end of this week. That is 3 weeks. If you start on the 20th then you will need to be around until probably July 11th or so.

Now you could option to do 24hr days and shorter nights, which would help speed things up. I had the 24hr nights since I was only allowing the Sith and Consular's to PM eachother at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
ptper wrote:
When is your vacation??

If you are truely doing 24hr days and 24hr nights like I did for Star Wars... then you need to realize how much longer that game will take.

I started my game on May 19 and it will probably last to the end of this week. That is 3 weeks. If you start on the 20th then you will need to be around until probably July 11th or so.

Now you could option to do 24hr days and shorter nights, which would help speed things up. I had the 24hr nights since I was only allowing the Sith and Consular's to PM eachother at night.
I will have internet access during vacation, just didn't want the first few nights to be while I was gone (more activity early). Regardless of when we start, I will have access to the game regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just trying to keep the spark alive...