Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been curious about this game, but with my collection getting bigger and bigger, I try to only keep a few games in each "category". Now, I know that Summoner Wars is it's own thing, and with the Master Set coming out I think there has never been a better time to jump into the game...

...but I already own so many card games. My wife and I most recently have been putting Gosu, Innovation, and Warhammer:Invasion through the wringer so to speak. Beyond those, we also have a ton of other card-based games.

So, what sets Summoner Wars apart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so awesome!!!
I will let the people who have played other games like Warhammer and Magic and stuff tell you what sets it apart.

But! I will tell you the game is awesome and only gets better as you play more!

I hope the other guys can convince you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a chess-like tactical miniature wargame but with cards to represent the miniatures (and abilities that you can use too). Very unlike the other games that you've mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
It's a chess-like tactical miniature wargame but with cards to represent the miniatures (and abilities that you can use too). Very unlike the other games that you've mentioned.

Hmmm. methinks I need to read a few more reviews, because I've never gotten the impression that it was like a miniatures game (I'm not doubting you. I'm just saying I never got that impression).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aube
Canada
Ste-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:

Hmmm. methinks I need to read a few more reviews, because I've never gotten the impression that it was like a miniatures game (I'm not doubting you. I'm just saying I never got that impression).

It is really miniature like, except with cards.
Chess... that I'm not as sure. It's less tactical and more fun than chess. Great little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tawny wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:

It is really miniature like, except with cards.
Chess... that I'm not as sure. It's less tactical and more fun than chess. Great little game.

It definitely is like a miniatures game with cards in place of the miniatures. You also have Event cards that you can choose to use in various ways at various times of the game, and while there are some similar Event cards amongst the various factions, there are definitely some very unique ones that help bring out the theme of that faction.

It's like chess in a sense that you are trying to take out the opponent's Summoner and protect yours, like you would a King in Chess. You can position cards and move them accordingly while planning a few moves ahead. Like sacrificing pawns in Chess, you can sacrifice your own cards to build magic. It's definitely more fun than Chess to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son of Burrito Bean III
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
But! I will tell you the game is awesome and only gets better as you play more!

Yes! After my first play of this game I was somewhat underwhelmed. I didn't give up on the game though and I appreciate it more with every play.

The Master Set needs to get here! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EduArdo Murruy
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to add my two cents into the mix...

I own a lot of card games and was kinda of burned with all of them(except for a few, like Warhammer invasion, that I really like), but there's something more board/war game on this one. Usually card games lack immersion, in a sense that you dont feel you are controlling an army(warhammer), creatures(call of cthulhu), or building a kingdom(dominion). Some do a better job than others when it comes to theme, but this one is no doubt the best i've ever tried in that aspect. You really feel like you are controlling an army. Its not just about getting units into play, but using them the best way possible, reacting to the adversary while you have to manage your hand, resources and units. It is a very unique experience, i can tell you that.

I'm not saying that it will please everybody. Some may feel the lack of interruption cards, like the blue deck on magic. Others may claim its too confrontational (my wife plays it with me, but would rather play jambo or monopoly deal anytime) and some even claim that deckbuilding is not strong as on the CCG games.

For me, its right up my alley. Low entry/maintenance cost, easy deck building, deep gameplay, the right amount of luck vs skill(think of backgammon kind of luck, where you are constantly working with the probabilities) and super balanced and varied decks (factions) that shows a huge amount of play testing and care the team puts on it. And better than that, you can get the master set and avoid the originally released map, that was kind of... strange?

hope i could help with your decision and good luck with your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
murruy wrote:
Some may feel the lack of interruption cards, like the blue deck on magic.

Actually, the first "interrupt" card was released in the new set: the Shadow Elves have an event (Shadows) that is played when the opponent destroys a Shadow Elf unit, causing it to go to the Shadow Elves' player magic pile rather than the player that destroyed it. It's sort of a mini-magic drain.

As to the OP: Summoner Wars is a tactical "miniatures game" that uses cards in place of miniatures and has some CCG elements, including deck building. It has a very low price point, is very well balanced, and has a lot of promise. It's not for everyone, but if you like minis games, you'll probably like Summoner Wars.

Also:
SirTacoWatson wrote:
After my first play of this game I was somewhat underwhelmed. I didn't give up on the game though and I appreciate it more with every play.

This is very true. I was disappointed with my first play because I didn't think it had many interesting decisions. Turns out they're more subtle than I realized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r0gershrubber wrote:
SirTacoWatson wrote:
After my first play of this game I was somewhat underwhelmed. I didn't give up on the game though and I appreciate it more with every play.

This is very true. I was disappointed with my first play because I didn't think it had many interesting decisions. Turns out they're more subtle than I realized.
Totally agree. I wasn't must for it in the beginning and my wife didn't care for it at all. After a few more games, I fell in love with it and so did my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can tell by my badge, I think what really makes Summoner Wars into a solid game is the Build Magic phase. At the end of your turn, you have to decide whether you want to keep the cards in your hand or build some (or all) of them as Magic. Much like RftG, you can pay for cards with other cards in this way. But with a few notable exceptions, once a card goes into your magic pile, you're never going to see it again, and you don't reshuffle your deck when you run out. So you constantly have to evaluate whether it's better to hold on to your cards for their most efficient use, or to ditch them now for magic, knowing that doing so also lessens your ability to play a longer game. Even further, the draw step at the start of your turn is always the same- up to 5. So the more you build as magic, and the more you play from your hand, the more cards you get to draw the following turn. It's certainly possible to play too aggressively and run out of cards while your opponent still has threats, and in some cases you may have more Magic than you even have ways to spend it if you burned too quickly. Learning how to manage your throttle based on how you want to play without ever being overwhelmed by your opponent is what actually makes the game fun for me.

Once you learn to combine the magic throttle idea with how to control the flow of the game on the battlefield, and how to successfully control your opponent's walls and summon placement, you'll know what I mean.

If you have SO MANY games that you only play them each once or twice, you should probably pass on Summoner Wars. Odds are you'll dismiss it as being too simple without really getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:

Definitely plays like a miniatures game on a board, with cards AND is smashing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a card game.

It is a game with cards as components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
This is not a card game.

It is a game with cards as components.

You hit the nail on the head.

The game uses cards but doesn't feel like a card game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.