Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wandered by Indie Boards and Cards late on Sunday morning and got pulled into a couple games of Resistance with

N/A

because he needed a fifth player. Kenny, who I had met playing werewolf the night before, was there as well. Also in the mix where two other players we were providing a demo for. I can't remember their names for sure, but I will say one was Jeremy and the other Amy.

On the first round I was the Resistance and I now had the difficult task of trying to figure out whether or not Raid1280 was a spy or not. Raid is a master of these games and he is able to make leaps of logic that are awe inspiring to behold. Jeremy had the first mission, and he put myself and him on it. He got a mission card requiring a public vote for mission plans, and handed it to Raid1280. Everyone but Raid1280 approved the mission. Luckily for me, it passed, which made me look good. For my turn, I had to get three of us to pass a mission. My plot card was to force someone to steal a mission card. Well, I wanted to see how Raid1280 would vote, so I gave him the plot card and it fizzled out, because he had nobody to steal from. I decided to put myself, Jeremy, and Kenny on the mission, figuring to keep our winning streak going. Surprisingly, Amy approved it, while Jeremy and Raid128 shot it down. I warned her that this made her look bad because she we needed every member of the resistance on this mission to be successful and if she wasn't on it, her best vote would be no. She nodded, seemingly appreciating my information. But regardless, the vote passed, and my confidence was shaken slightly by the two votes that didn't add up from Raid1280 and Amy.

We went on the mission and it failed. I hung my head. It was starting to look bad for me, but, it looked worse for Kenny. I handed the mission cards to him. Kenny, was solidly thinking I was the spy now, especially after watching some of my werewolf shenanigans last night. He drew the strong leader card and handed it off to Jeremy. We needed two people on this mission Kenny kept one card and handed the other to Raid1280 who was expressing confidence in Kenny. I voted the mission down, while everyone else thought it was a good idea. I hung my head because it was obvious to me that the mission would fail.

Of course, it passed. shake

Now my position looked even worse. It was Raid1280's turn to take the mission. He drew the no confidence card, and, of course, he handed it off to Kenny. He handed the mission cards to himself, Amy, and Kenny. The vote passed, and the mission failed, just as I had been bemoaning.

It came to Amy's turn. Jeremy chose that moment to play strong leader and set himself up with Raid1280 and Kenny. Kenny played his no confidence card and leadership passed to me. I looked at the players for a good long while, thinking about who the spies could be. I was feeling like it had to be Amy and Kenny at this point, but I was not sure. I closed my eyes and felt a twinge in my gut. I looked at Kenny and Raid1280. I decided that they were my best shot. There was no logic in the decision. I just decided to trust what my gut was saying.

The vote passed with the three of us on the mission approving. That was a good thing, I think. We pulled off a fifth round win when I took a huge risk and trusted that both Kenny and Raid1280 were Resistance members with me. It turned out I was right.

For the second game, we got a sixth player, I'll call him Ben. I stayed on because I was having fun (gasp!). I got dealt the dreaded role of being a Spy against Resistance member Raid1280. Jeremy was the other spy with me. We were still playing with the plot thickens cards, and they made the game brutally hard for the spies. I did my best. Ben started us off and picked two random people that happened to be Resistance for the first mission. This spelled trouble for me as the Resistance logic I had been using the entire game revolved around me using the same people each round when a mission passed (and of course, this mission passed). Kenny chose the next mission and did just that, putting himself and the other two who had passed the first mission on it. It passed, and now the spies were in serious trouble.

We worked hard and managed to prevent Raid1280 from selecting a mission. He had tried to put both of the spies on this mission and I think that might have actually worked as my partner was into all kinds of under table signaling, but we failed it. I was forced to vote publicly, at this point, on whether or not to approve missions. We made Amy fail her mission choice, but fellow spy, Jeremy got the mission approved with me on it.

I forgot Amy had a card to play that allowed her to see how I played the mission out, and she, after playing it, of course, saw my fail. I had no choice but to play it since this was a do or die moment for the spies. I tried to play it off and accuse Amy of being the spy, but it was looking desperate for me. Now it was my choice to pick the mission people and it had to be perfect. Well, now I got dealt a plot card that forced me to show my card to someone else. It would have been suicide to show it to my fellow spy, so I went with Raid1280 instead in a moment of desperation.

My goal was to hope that I would confuse Eric by making him over-think and that actually worked pretty well. He convinced himself that Amy had thrown me under the bus and it made the decisions for who to be on the fourth mission gloriously painful. In fact, we voted down 4 mission ideas. I used my leader card to take the fifth one. Since everyone wanted it to pass, we all let it through. I was not on it, to prove a point, and it, of course, failed. This was kind of a faux paus on my part, but the confusion I gave to Raid1280 on letting him see my role card continued to work.

It was not quite enough however, and the final mission went off with all the correct resistance members. It was great fun, but I got snaked out in the end with a Resistance win. It was fitting that the last game of the day really made me see even more depth and value to the Resistance and wanting to play it more than ever. Raid1280 is a genius in these games, but it sure was fun to play his genius against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Owens
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isnt the look at someone elses alliance card reserved for a seven players and up game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to check to make sure, but we were only playing the 5-10 player excpansion cards and not the 7-10 player expansion cards (since there were only 6 of us at the time). It's certainly possible we made a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In 5-6 players there is a Plot card to look at a played Mission card. that is what is described in this session report. Given the number of plays some of the people at the table have, I'd be very surprised if a mistake was made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
In 5-6 players there is a Plot card to look at a played Mission card. that is what is described in this session report. Given the number of plays some of the people at the table have, I'd be very surprised if a mistake was made.

Nope. I showed my role card to Raid on the last game when there were 6 of us playing. Looking at the Plot Thickens Cards, that had to be "Establish Confidence," which is definitely the action I performed. Perhaps the other players wanted to demo the whole variety of "Plot Thickens" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.