Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a huge, unresolved affection for Pax Romana. I really want to introduce it among my friends, but none of us have the time to play it. I think my game group would ADORE the game if it could be played in an evening. I've also been after the designer and developer to give us a Pax Lite for the 2nd Edition. It doesn't look like it will happen, but oh, what a missed opportunity! Maybe in the next iteration...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would a Pax Lite look like? What could be successfully and painlessly trimmed out? Few things come to my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
What would a Pax Lite look like? What could be successfully and painlessly trimmed out? Few things come to my mind.

Quite a few things come to my mind. The Pax "sequel", Genesis, is going to be less complicated and more streamlined, so obviously it can be done. Just count the charts...I don't think a Lite version would need half of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such as?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Such as?

I'll use shorthand since you own the game and have played:

1) ManMax Maintenance
2) Naval Movement
3) SoF
4) Rebellion effects
5) Stability
6) OOPs
7) Event cards
8) Wall points in Siege combat
9) Minimum movement for Leaders
10) Picking up units

Streamlining some of this would assuredly mean less than 30 charts and tables!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin hawco
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Pax can be played in 5 hours, if you have 4 people who know thew rules. One big thing I find slows this game down is constant rules referencing.

To play it in 5 hours, play the standard game (NO CARDS!) with 1 event and 3 activations per turn each. Set the turn limit to 5 turns.

For my part, my group and I committed to a 2-part Pax game, played over 2 separate sessions, Unfortunately, session 2 is about 6 weeks after session 1, which is a bummer (I'd rather play on consecutive weekends), but at least we're going to get through a full game.

And if there are some rules you find complicate the game, don't use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colio wrote:
Pax can be played in 5 hours, if you have 4 people who know thew rules. One big thing I find slows this game down is constant rules referencing.

Right. Which is why I'm trying to streamline things. Granted, Pax wasn't designed to be played in an evening, but I think that was a missed opportunity.

colio wrote:
To play it in 5 hours, play the standard game (NO CARDS!) with 1 event and 3 activations per turn each. Set the turn limit to 5 turns.

Yeah, not going to happen. I actually like the whole Advanced scenario--I find it harder to play without it--I just think some streamlining is just what this game needs.

colio wrote:
For my part, my group and I committed to a 2-part Pax game, played over 2 separate sessions, Unfortunately, session 2 is about 6 weeks after session 1, which is a bummer (I'd rather play on consecutive weekends), but at least we're going to get through a full game.

And if there are some rules you find complicate the game, don't use them.

Well, right, that's what this thread is about. But there are others like naval Movement and Rebellions that can simply be made more intuitive.

I simply don't think Pax should be so difficult to play in an evening without, as you say, constant rules referencing slowing things to a crawl. That's why my group has never played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I share your dream. The popularity of Here I Stand shows there is a receptive market for a big, multiplayer game. But not a big, 14 hour multiplayer game. Even via email PAX is a barely manageable game.

Some of the ways to pare down PAX:

* Design a 6 turn scenario what begins with the factions already built up somewhat (a la Wilderness War's tournament scenario).

* Go with 3 activations instead of 4.

* Ditch the Unrest track (too little return for so much fiddling).

* Ditch the special objective chits.

* Rework naval/amphibious movement from the ground up. This is by far the biggest source of rules confusion and lookups. Maybe try something closer to the model in Here I Stand.

* Streamline the neutrals/allies rules so there are only two kinds of neutrals (active and passive), instead of unique rules for each neutral.

* Replace the annoying Greek dissension/civil war rules with something easier to manage.

* Maybe ditch unit maintenance costs.

I've incorporated a lot of these changes into a PAX-inspired game design on the Dark Ages (Byzantines/Arabs/Franks/Northmen) that I'm toying with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Fernandez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Take a look on this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/297702/hannibal-is-defea...

I also wanted a shorter scenario with 4 players, and created this 6-turn ScenarioVI-like situation.

It begins immediatly after 2nd punic war and should be near half as long as the complete campaign. Playing with 3 activations chits instead of 4 would reduce playing time even more.

Hope you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.