O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots on the Ground showed up two days ago and I had been eager to give it a spin. Looking at the rules I was a little worried... it was so darn lite, was I going to enjoy it?

I read the rules (really, 8 pages? It could have been done in 4... maybe 2!) laid out the maps, substituted some Mongoose Battlefield Evolution figures for the player chits to make Alpha Team and gave the game a whirl.

Bldg 26 didn't look so tough at first, I was more scared of the roads with the unknown vehicles and civilians, so I decided to advance up Avenue A and across the alley. Two turns in I painfully realized the tempo of insurgents meant that every window and doorway was going to be a source of pain!

After a very stressful first three turns I managed to beat back the insurgents and use my medic to good effect. I still hadn't learned my lesson and decided to send the Sniper down the street in order to cover my flank. Bad move... the insurgent cards guarantee that a Sniper on his own will get attacked from behind. Guess next time he'll take a spotter! My sniper was ambushed and dropped, but I managed to medivac my heavy weapons expert and keep the rest of my team together.

I dashed down the alley and my luck seemed to have turned. The insurgent cards served to bring the bad guys into my sights and my die rolling finally started going my way. Even though I was in the last 3rd of the deck I managed to get in the building and squat on 3 doors and windows. Once I had that, pulling the rest of my team in and surviving the activations of those inside was not so bad. Chalk up one victory for the good guys! Unfortunately I'll have to write a letter to one of my team's family, but I can't escape the feeling that somehow I got off easy...

In retrospect I was surprised to see no modifiers for firing into windows, and the lack of stricter rules for insurgent play made it clear that pure solo play was an after-thought. Still I enjoyed it very much. It played quick and explosive, and while I wait forPhantom Fury it will be a perfectly delightful solo filler in between games of Ambush Alley/Force on Force. At about an hour playing time I look forward to trying more scenarios and hooking some friends in for co-op play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Got off lite indeed!
I got owned twice on that map.
I posted afew AARS on it. Did you pre order or just order recently? Seems like there was a bit of buzz then things quietened down for BotG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.