7 Posts

Android» Forums » Rules

Subject: Getting a jump on the case rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gábor Koszper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game only once, and couldn't figure out what does it matter who the first player is. Even the game says that the first player is the one who read the most sci-fi, so it doesn't seem so important.

Why would I want to get a jump on the case? Even the stronger version that's in the FAQ? (The best thing I can come up with: If I have many dark cards and I'm totally darkshifted, I should go last, while I have many light cards and I'm totally lightshifted, I should go first.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one dark card can be played per event. If more than one player wants to play a dark card for an event, the start player has the first option to play, proceeding clockwise. So if you are the last player, you may have trouble playing your dark cards.

Otherwise, it's often best to go last, because you can react to what other players have done. That is why they have the optional change to getting a jump on the case in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Koszper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I didn't think of this one, because as we were playing for the first time, we were happy when a dark card was played regardless of who played it on who.

But, yeah, I will definitely use the optional rule from the FAQ or else noone will ever go to the crime scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also two other important reasons:

1. You get first dibs on any new events.
2. If you are last player, you can have effectively two turns in a row if you get a jump on the case at the end of your first turn. This can be ridiculously powerful when there is a conspiracy puzzle rush, or at the end of the game when evidence disappears, etc. You get a similar advantage when you're not last but close to last, albeit diminished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that during the last 2 days of week 2 if you place evidence it returns to the box rather than moving as it does on the previous days. Going into those turns as the first player not only gives you the evidence advantage but it also can screw the other players turns, especially if everyone went after the puzzle early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your reason n. 2 is quite right, though I prefer stay last at the end of the game so I can give bad baggage to other players or get good for me in a last effort to gather (or stop from gathering) VP's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
It can be quite important. In our very first game, most of the evidence eventually piled up in one district. First player had an advantage of sweeping half of it, forcing it to be moved before I had a chance to uncover it. I guess it would also be pretty devastating in the last two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.