Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm someone who hasn't really played proper wargames but I'm very interested in doing so. Small squad/platoon tactical level games excite me the most and I'm more interested in more modern/cold war era for the 20th century rather then WWII (while I like WWII as well so mechanics would win over setting).

I used to play Games Workshop games a little long time ago and while I liked the setting and idea of different strength sides in a sci-fi setting like WH40K I disliked the system and having to be and paint expensive models (I've toyed with the idea of creating hex and counters version of WH40k).

So liking the idea of Hex and Counters games I was very impressed with the look of L'n'L's World at War. This lead me here as this is smaller scale game and it has demos (which WaW doesn't have) that I can try out.

Problem is that there are so many versions here I'm a bit confused. Are all the versions basically same rule set just with different scenarios and/or setting? Is there a good layout so I can see where each expansion pack belongs and if you need to own another pack to play this one and so on.

PS. Don't think I'm in the wrong place because I like the idea of the 40K universe. I do understand that these games are more realistic and complex then GW. I just really love the idea of putting together a good army for a scenario instead of being giving one and having to use different tactics based on the opposition. Could add a extra level of depth to a Hex and Counters game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that was what I needed. Strange though that the falklands scenario is a expansion to Band of Heroes instead of Forgotten Heroes (or even a stand alone game) because it's much closer to that time period. In cases like that when you got a new map and new units what do you need from the BoH box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
I'm someone who hasn't really played proper wargames but I'm very interested in doing so. Small squad/platoon tactical level games excite me the most and I'm more interested in more modern/cold war era for the 20th century rather then WWII (while I like WWII as well so mechanics would win over setting).

Don't want to wheedle you out of Forgotten Heroes.
But if you like modern or cold war era games, also consider Nuklear Winter '68.
Modern, cold war, WW2 and Sci-Fi, all in one.
It has the same scale as WaW, platoon level and will be published by LnL.
The rules are different from other LnL games. Basically a 2d6 + combatfactor system, so no charts or tables.
There are detailed after action reports and cool videos of how the game plays.
This for example:Empty Quiver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
Thank you, that was what I needed. Strange though that the falklands scenario is a expansion to Band of Heroes instead of Forgotten Heroes (or even a stand alone game) because it's much closer to that time period. In cases like that when you got a new map and new units what do you need from the BoH box?

What you need from BoH is the Skill Cards and Skill Card counters as well as the maintenance counters (Fired, Moved, etc.). An extra sheet of counters, the rules book and a bigger box all would have increased the cost of Ring of Hills significantly; and most who buy RoH already have BoH.

Jeff, Ring of Hills Developer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.