Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that both of these are obvious, but the rules are just vague enough for me to question myself...

1) Okay, so each iButho chit has a certain number of hit markers on it. Is it destroyed when the last hit marker is removed, or does it have to take one more hit to take it out? (I'm assuming that it's when the last marker is removed, but maybe not???)

2) Surgeon Reynolds says that you can "replace this card" with any other card from the Discard Pile. Heros obviously are immediately available, but what about volley cards? Do they go in your hand, or are they immediately played (since he wasn't in your hand, "replacing" him would put it into play). Or (even though I know it's not right, I'll ask it anyway) can you use his ability while still in your hand to pull a non-hero into it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:

1) Okay, so each iButho chit has a certain number of hit markers on it. Is it destroyed when the last hit marker is removed, or does it have to take one more hit to take it out? (I'm assuming that it's when the last marker is removed, but maybe not???)

It takes one more hit to remove the base iButho counter from the game. (rule 6.7.4: 3rd bullet: ...remove one hit marker, if it has no hit markers, remove the iButho counter)

kilroy_locke wrote:

2) Surgeon Reynolds says that you can "replace this card" with any other card from the Discard Pile. Heros obviously are immediately available, but what about volley cards? Do they go in your hand, or are they immediately played (since he wasn't in your hand, "replacing" him would put it into play). Or (even though I know it's not right, I'll ask it anyway) can you use his ability while still in your hand to pull a non-hero into it?

- you can use the surgeon to get a volley card from the discard pile to your hand
- NO you cannot use this ability if the surgeon is not available! (but nice try...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
kilroy_locke wrote:

It takes one more hit to remove the base iButho counter from the game. (rule 6.7.4: 3rd bullet: ...remove one hit marker, if it has no hit markers, remove the iButho counter)

Yeah, that's the phrase that I found to be unclear. I didn't know whether to read it as:

"...remove one hit marker, if it has no hit markers [after that point], remove the iButho counter" (meaning that you remove the iButho counter any time that it doesn't have any hit markers on it)

or

"...remove one hit marker, if it has no hit markers [when a hit is assigned, instead] remove the iButho counter" (meaning that the iButho marker is only removed when it takes a hit and doesn't have any hit markers)

And you're saying that the latter is correct. Is this ruling "official"? Am I the only person who's read it the first way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ruling is in no way official

we might need some input from the designer or another authority on this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
teufen wrote:
kilroy_locke wrote:

Yeah, that's the phrase that I found to be unclear. I didn't know whether to read it as:

"...remove one hit marker, if it has no hit markers [after that point], remove the iButho counter" (meaning that you remove the iButho counter any time that it doesn't have any hit markers on it)

or

"...remove one hit marker, if it has no hit markers [when a hit is assigned, instead] remove the iButho counter" (meaning that the iButho marker is only removed when it takes a hit and doesn't have any hit markers)

And you're saying that the latter is correct. Is this ruling "official"? Am I the only person who's read it the first way?

I'm not an authority, just a huge fan of the game and I worked with Alan to create an official FAQ (files section). 6.7.4 reads:
"Each result of 6 is a "Hit". Remove one Hit marker stacked on that iButho and place it in the Zulu Casualties box on the map. If it has no Hit markers remaining, then the iButho unit itself is eliminated..."

An iButho unit with 2 round hit icons and a square icon means it can sustain a total of 3 hits before it is discarded. The first two hits will discard the round hit markers and the third hit will discard the unit itself.

If you look at 2.3 (THE PLAYING PIECES), it describes the inDlugyengwe unit as having an iButho size of 3 (2 round "Hit" markers, plus 1 square unit itself).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Christopher and Jaret! I just wanted to make sure that I was playing as the game was intended, and now I'm sure that I will be!

I totally didn't get the "iButho size" thing, but now it's totally clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.