Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first complete game, after having reread the rules a couple of times.

DAY ONE

I opened the game moving the MACV platoon to capture zone B and fight for zone C. Luckily it got zone C in time to let the first convoy arrive without a scratch.

With Company A on the map, I spread them to control the Landing Zone and the rest of green zones, to avoid NVA infiltration. Thus ended Day One.

DAY TWO

On Day Two I pushed forward flanking the High School, without attacking it. I planned to cross the Perfume River with a company to get those critical two points, but to avoid unpleasant surprises I wanted to control all the approaches from the river, so the companies took Hue University and the Chem Lab, but stopped before attacking the High School or the Treasury.

DAY THREE

Day Three was the one scheduled for the attack across the river with the earmarked Company F. Initially it went well, taking the first zone and Victory Point zone F. But the last Victory Point zone was a killing ground that stopped cold my lead platoon. I had to order a disengagement and retreat to the positions south of the river, to avoid Defeat Points. Meanwhile, Companies A and G had assaulted and taken both the Treasury and the High School. I used the gas supplies for the assaults, though it was only useful in the former attack, and I took both Victory Points zones without red hits. So long, 3 Victory Points and 1 Defeat Point for the Perfume River assault. During the night, the Perfume River bridge was blown up so all the zones north of the river were out of play.

DAY FOUR

With the bridge blown I did not have to cover the positions along the river against NVA infiltration, so I designed a wide front advance all along the city, attacking strong positions only with full companies. During Day Four I advanced with a four-company wide front and the last company, B, reached Hue just in time to cover the Canal Bridge approach before it was blown. I tried a couple of assaults using only one or two platoons, with varied results. In one occasion the platoon took a red hit, wounded marines were left on the open ground and the assault, on the Hospital Complex, failed. By the end of Day Four I had both CP on Duong Nguyen Thai and five companies of Marines isolating the western section of Hue, waiting for the final attack. 4 VP and 3 DP.

DAY FIVE

The last turn of the game was Day Five. I launched hard assaults against the last Victory Point zones and its covering zones. All of the assaults were successful and without many casualties, except against Thua Thien Provincial Prison. Company F (2/5) took two red hits and I thought the assault would fail, but finally they prevailed and all the Victory Point zones had been captured. As one red hit from the previous turn was not recovered, the final tally was 8 VP and 6 DP for a total of 1 point and a result of Draw.

Not bad for a first play. I think the tactical approach was quite correct and that's important to disengage before having heavy casualties, to avoid those DP that avoided a US victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great AAR and narrative.. thanks for making this excellent AAR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.