Steam: Map Expansion #1» Forums » General

Subject: 7-player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Elliott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm still pretty new to Steam (and train games in general for that matter) but I was wondering...how would it work with 7 players and only 7 action tiles? Would it be that big of an issue if the 7th player didn't have any choice in action tile? I suppose (for that reason) it'd make the lower-numbered action tiles more valuable (I'm talking about the base game in this case). Would there be an eigth action tile, a "pity bonus" for the 7th player, or is it not that big of a deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an eighth action available, and it is an action that slides in as a "#.5" in the middle of the lineup. You'll see...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I have a question about 7 players map: how can I play it?
I mean I have Steam and Steam Barons: there are pieces for 6 players, as you know.
I know too that I could mix the game pieces from Steam (wooden tokens) and Steam Barons (wooden trains)..but the question is..why I have to mix pieces? I bought all the items regarding Steam...and I can't play the first expansions without mixing pieces!

It sound a little odd, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aledrugo1977 wrote:
Hi folks, I have a question about 7 players map: how can I play it?
I mean I have Steam and Steam Barons: there are pieces for 6 players, as you know.
I know too that I could mix the game pieces from Steam (wooden tokens) and Steam Barons (wooden trains)..but the question is..why I have to mix pieces? I bought all the items regarding Steam...and I can't play the first expansions without mixing pieces!

It sound a little odd, doesn't it?

Use small coins or the money provided in the game to mark your track and scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but the point is: I bought everything about Steam but I can't play an official map because of lack of components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
aledrugo1977 wrote:
Yeah, but the point is: I bought everything about Steam but I can't play an official map because of lack of components!

Apparently pieces for a seventh player were already included in many prints of Steam (mine had them as well as the black cubes) and since it's just for a single variant they deemed it was not worth the price increase to add some wood tokens.

After all, you would probably play more for the disks had they been included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
aledrugo1977 wrote:

Apparently pieces for a seventh player were already included in many prints of Steam (mine had them as well as the black cubes) and since it's just for a single variant they deemed it was not worth the price increase to add some wood tokens.

Exactly. Everyone would pay more for something very few people would play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aledrugo1977 wrote:

Most games also require a playing surface (such as a table) but do not supply one in the box. The publisher assumes you can find a solution on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aledrugo1977 wrote:

If your original objection was about mixing (because you already have alternate pieces), even providing the pieces in the expansion pack wouldn't have been a solution you liked.

Have you considered buying a copy of Age of Steam? Then you can have player markers in another colour entirely and more maps.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
aledrugo1977 wrote:

Most games also require a playing surface (such as a table) but do not supply one in the box. The publisher assumes you can find a solution on your own.

Mmm it doesn't seem to me a polite reply, is it?
I mean, yeah chairs too are required for playing in a table, and I won't ask for a table & chairs. Com'on be serious!

I just said it is not so common to assume you can find a solution (by using other pieces, by buying an other game or whatever).
Twilight Imperium III as got pieces for all the players written on the rulebook as all the other boardgames I own.

Mayfair is doing such a great job with Steam, I'd like anyway to underline I appreciate a lot their games (Automobile & 1830: excellent!).
But this time I felt to point the focus on a lack, at least in my humble opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see politeness as a virtue, especially after suggestions and solutions have been provided here and elsewhere, sometimes by the designer. I would rather be useful and informative than polite. Additionally, I don't see anything impolite or rude about showing counter-example against the principle that publishers should provide everything needed for play. See also: Cheapass Games.

Twilight Imperium 3 is probably not the best example to use - Fantasy Flight could legitimately sell table extensions. Also, they are more than happy to sell you a $50 expansion to fix a critical flaw in a $100 game, one that is not fixable simply by substituting glass stones. This is not a habit I would encourage.

Finally, if you have a copy of TI3, use space ships for the 7th player in Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing one of the main reasons an official 7 player map even came about was the production glitch which included 10 colors in the first printing of the game. That and the fact that extra tokens (trains) were sold separately and in Steam Barons (or easily substituted as suggested above) made it possible to sell this expansion without extra pieces included. It's likely that 6 players would have been the "official" max number of players printed on the expansion map rules otherwise. You should enjoy the map and be glad it is available.

PS-
TwentySides wrote:
I don't see politeness always as a virtue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
I don't see politeness as a virtue, especially after suggestions and solutions have been provided here and elsewhere, sometimes by the designer.

Well, I like politeness, so thanks so much.
Even if, honestly speaking, your suggestion was obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have to admit the snarky remarks are odd and seem misplaced. i thought the op had a reasonable question, as i had it too and found this thread.

I just got steam. my printing has pieces for 6 players, and no map that supports the 6th. no extra misprint discs were included in mine. SO i looked at expansions, and find only 1 official map that supports more than 5, and it says 7(!) when i only have pices for a 6th. yes, others may have extra chits from first printings or own steam barons...i dont. i own the base game only. it seems VERY odd to have the 7th player have to resort to using quarters or something when everyone else has proper wood discs. very asymetric and sloppy, and CONFUSING. its not like player compoenents werent provided at all...just not enough of them to play one of the only official expansions. its an odd choice, though i get the fix. boo.

frankly, i think it was lame to not include the wooden trains in the base game over the discs, and make the steam barons expansion a bit cheaper by not having superfluous wood between the two...seems the 7 player expansion is also pushing folks to buy OTHER expansions just to play it with base game with any semblance of matching components (though there are still just 6 officially supported colors...hmmm. VERY weird)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Spieles
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Steam and the Map Expansion under my Christmas tree for tomorrow. I was not aware of this issue before I requested the expansion. I agree with several of the posters, that this is quite an oversight by the publisher. My comparison of this would be if you bought a 5-6 player official Catan expansion and it included the extra terrain tiles but did not include another set of roads/cities/etc in another color. If there are not enough components included to play the game, it should be clearly stated on the box/website of the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
aledrugo1977 wrote:

Exactly. Everyone would pay more for something very few people would play.

I don't think anyone is suggesting base copies of Steam should include such tokens, but rather that the expansion map should come with extra tokens.

There is a workaround, and it is playable, certainly, but Mayfair's reputation has been to provide challenging games with good quality components, and the decision to have people resort to replacement pieces is at odds with that reputation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.