Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three sections on how intelligent creatures behave is fairly straightforward, but I'm not entirely sure how intelligent creatures behave if/when the situation changes. As an example:

During the discovery phase, 3 aliens are drawn and do not surprise the humans. During the human action phase, the humans run like wusses out of the space; now, do these aliens that were just discovered act as if no humans are in the space and disappear? (don't recall when you "check" behavior and rule book is not handy at the moment).

Or, and this was what got me thinking in the first place, let's say those aliens did surprise me, attacked and either a) killed all my marines or, the situation that I was wondering about, b) attacked, did not manage to kill my marines and then I decide to move my marines to a different space next combat turn. Since they are already in "attack mode", do they run through the door/hatch and attack, or are they treated as not having any active humans in the space and thus fly back to the cup?

Any help is certainly appreciated, can't recall how I was doing this when I first played but it's just bugging the crap out of me. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane Sather wrote:
During the discovery phase, 3 aliens are drawn and do not surprise the humans. During the human action phase, the humans run like wusses out of the space; now, do these aliens that were just discovered act as if no humans are in the space and disappear?

That's right. They know their strength is as ambush predators and will gladly fade back into the ship's infrastructure rather than face a bunch of projectile-armed enemies that are ready for them.

Unless you're outnumbered, though, the best Marine tactic is to fight them while you have the advantage, as otherwise you'll just run into them again under less favorable circumstances. Each alien you kill is one less in the cup, raising your chances of finding other stuff instead.

Quote:
let's say those aliens did surprise me, attacked and either a) killed all my marines

Then they go back to the cup, especially if they didn't outright kill everyone but got some "Down" results, in which case your may-not-be-dead humans disappear into the cup with them.

Quote:
or, the situation that I was wondering about, b) attacked, did not manage to kill my marines and then I decide to move my marines to a different space next combat turn. Since they are already in "attack mode", do they run through the door/hatch and attack

They stick in their initial mode (attack or flee) for the duration of their stay on the map, but this only lasts as long as the original targets are in the space -- they don't go through doors.

Admittedly, this means one way to escape a scary encounter is to slam the door in their face. Despite the comical anti-horror-movie feel, this leads to a better alien survival rate than blindly attacking, mainly because of the heavy weaponry involved.

If this bugs you, the Invasion of the Feynman alternate scenario on the FMG web site has rules for hungrier and less cautious aliens that will follow prey through doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, thank you very much for the quick and useful (and amusing) response. Thematically, I figured such would be the case but just wanted to make sure; I think it works very well this way and logically makes sense

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.