Subject: Excavating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some questions..

Do you have to take all items from a gallery if you choose to excavate?

If you don't have to take all can you pick and choose which items to take or do you have to take items from the left or right of the row?

If I leave a few behind do i then shift them all to the left?

Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You take them all for the single payment equal to the level depth. You may freely discard anything that offends you.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
You take them all for the single payment equal to the level depth. You may freely discard anything that offends you.

B>
Ta.

The reason i ask is because the Quick Refrence rules file i downloaded from here states under Excavating;

"Take as many Finds as you like from that Gallery and place them face-up before you"

This tells me I can pick and choose and leave some behind if i so wish. I showed the rules to a pal who also interpeted the rules to mean you don't have to select all of the items in a gallery and that you can leave some behind.

I read the "may" in the official rules (" As a first action you may excavate all finds in one gallery") to indicate that excavation is optional ... but if you do it you have to take every item in the gallery.

I didn't interpret it to mean you "may" excavate all if you so wish and that the "may" infers you can take less than all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your reading. Let me quote more completely from the rules. "As a first action you may excavate all finds from one gallery".

The bolding really doesn't leave much doubt, nor does the example "Example: You choose gallery III and pay 3 coins. You take the two finds and lay them out in front of yourself.". There is no choice mentioned in how many finds to take once the gallery is chosen.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Bruce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Bruce as to the intent, but also agree with the OP as to the ambiguity. I checked the German rules, and the ambiguity is there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The german rules contain the same bolding, and seem even less ambiguous (darf is less overloaded than the English may). I struggle to see the ambiguity.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The words "may" and "can" are a problem in many games. I'm not sure why the rules writers can't just make up their minds and tell you "must" or "must not." Ambiguity doesn't work in game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, there is a choice so you require some use of may. I guess the wording would become too wordy otherwise. Nonetheless, writing perfect rules is hard!

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, there is a choice so you require some use of may. I guess the wording would become too wordy otherwise. Nonetheless, writing perfect rules is hard!

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this: whether you can take all or must take all, you want to take all every time, so they are functionally identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that you aren't forced to excavate and often you might not want to, instead saving your money.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Except that you aren't forced to excavate and often you might not want to, instead saving your money.

B>

Of course, but the OP is already aware of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought we'd moved on from the OP and into unambiguous rules wording territory.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks for the help folks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

As a first action you may excavate, that is take all finds from one gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.