Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright so the results have been tabulated, and after 6 rounds of voting, the Ultimate Investigator is... A TIE!

At forty votes a piece, i went with my standard tie breaking procedure of total votes in the competition, and the winner is....

Mandy Thompson by 21 total votes over the course of the competition.

Patrice being matched up against Kate Winthrop in the elite eight really hurt her in this tie breaking procedure.

In the PROXIMATE Investigator contest, Vincent Lee was voted to be the single worst investigator for winning the game by two votes in the final round over George Barnaby.

Anyway, in the spirit of things, i have one more poll for you. What was the biggest surprise for you of all the polling?

Poll
What was the biggest surprise?
Carolyn Fern's deep run
Final Round tie between Mandy and Patrice
Daisy Walker upset in First round
Lack of success of the Kingsmouth characters
George Barnaby not being labelled worst
The fact that i kept doing it :)
Other (please comment below)
      47 answers
Poll created by hoganbball23
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That Patrice, the most broken, uberpowered of all investigators did not win.
Voting for her was an automatic choice no matter against who.
THAT was a surprise although Mandy has an history on great power too, so it was deserved.

For the other pool ... I'm ashamed to say that the Doctor is one ... not of my favorites, but at least his fairly high in my personnal rating system. As they say beauty (or ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Carolyn Fern's deep run

I like her. Not the best, but good.

Quote:
Final Round tie between Mandy and Patrice

I'm surprised Patrice didn't win, but that those two would be 1-2 is not surprising.

Quote:
Daisy Walker upset in First round

Yeah, that is a surprise, though I can't remember who she was up against.

Quote:
Lack of success of the Kingsmouth characters

Not that surprising to me. I find the Kingsport characters interesting, but not necessarily that powerful (except for Daisy and Lily in particular).

Quote:
George Barnaby not being labelled worst

The surprise to me was that Bob Jenkins wasn't. Actually, if PS are meant to be factored in, then that boosts Bob quite a bit.

Quote:
The fact that i kept doing it

Nah. You seemed pretty dedicated to the task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grudunza wrote:
The surprise to me was that Bob Jenkins wasn't [labelled worst]. Actually, if PS are meant to be factored in, then that boosts Bob quite a bit.

His personal story is amazing - at least enough clues for one extra seal, quite possibly two. More if he can get a retainer/deputised.

But I think even without that he's still pretty good - Speed 5, an amazing Fight-Will track, usually starts with at least one weapon and some other good items. A maximum gate-sealing stat of 4 isn't great, but should be enough for anything other than R'lyeh most of the time. Even his focus of 1 isn't too bad a disadvantage since his sliders generally don't need moving that much. No starting clues isn't great, but it only puts him a couple of turns behind other Investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play these houserules =)
d) Vincent Lee may pick any 2 of the following instead of the appropriate random card: (common items) map of arkham, dark cloak; (spells) cloud memory, heal
e) George Barnaby does not need to roll for retainers during upkeep.

(note: these are the only investigators that we boosted besides the semi-official Mary fix)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should post all the results in final ranks if possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certain that Patrice did not win because she is from an expansion and Mandy is from the base game. Everyone has Mandy, but not everyone has seen Patrice in "action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I'm certain that Patrice did not win because she is from an expansion and Mandy is from the base game. Everyone has Mandy, but not everyone has seen Patrice in "action."

Yeah, that's a good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say that Bob is over the limit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
__cim__ wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
The surprise to me was that Bob Jenkins wasn't [labelled worst]. Actually, if PS are meant to be factored in, then that boosts Bob quite a bit.

His personal story is amazing - at least enough clues for one extra seal, quite possibly two. More if he can get a retainer/deputised.

But I think even without that he's still pretty good - Speed 5, an amazing Fight-Will track, usually starts with at least one weapon and some other good items. A maximum gate-sealing stat of 4 isn't great, but should be enough for anything other than R'lyeh most of the time. Even his focus of 1 isn't too bad a disadvantage since his sliders generally don't need moving that much. No starting clues isn't great, but it only puts him a couple of turns behind other Investigators.

Well if you didn't say It I was going to. Bob is my favorite investigator from the base game for all the reasons you said. I'll also add that if he doesn't get a good weapon from his starting 5 random items then he can go to the general store with his large amount of money on turn 1 to look for 1 basically letting him look at 9 items by the end of turn 1.

More usual he does get a decent starting weapon and instead (maybe around turn 2 or 3 after we've picked up some clues) goes to the curiosity shop to see if he can find an elder sign. He can usually get 2 good shops in and if he doesn't find an elder sign he's bond to get something good instead.

Additionally his 2 most useless stats (Sneak and Lore which I don't consider very useful for non spell casters) have a max of 3 which means his other more useful stats get a nice indirect bonus. As you pointed out his speed is very good at 5, his Fight-Will split is second only to Ashcan Pete and the mandatory +1 max luck or max sneak that all investigators seem to have goes to luck which I find to be nice.

Now to be fair his ability isn't that great. I've always felt the deck yankers (Bob, Jack, Dexter and Amanda) should have had abilities that worked once a turn (except Amanda who should have been unlimited) and applied to all investigators. I mean think about it. Imagine you were helping create the game and if Mandy's ability only applied to herself. Then you are handed her and one of the characters named above and told to pick the one with the weaker ability to be changed to apply to everyone. Could you honestly say her you felt Mondy's (weakend) ability was weaker than what the deck yankers have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.