Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jack elfrink
United States
McKees Rocks
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a method I use when introducing the game to new players. I include another mission before the first actual mission. Theme wise I explain this as the resistance conducting a training exercise. Inside their own base for practice before going out on a real mission.

To start, I go over general turn order. That there are two rounds of voting. Once for the mission selection. The other round for mission success. I declare myself team leader for that round (since Im teaching the rules) and I select the newbies for the mission. Whoever they may be. Note that at this stage I dont explain who does or does not get to vote in each round. I dont explain what constitutes a victory condition for the vote, and I dont explain the consequences for a failed vote. I just throw folks right into the thick of things and give them something to do right away.

I explain the method for voting is simultaneous selection with a group revel. This first vote will inevitably pass. Only now do I explain that success or failure is determined by majority vote and that a failed vote does not meen the mission failed but only that leadership passes to the next person.

Then, as leader, I pass out the pass/fail cards to the newbies I selected, pointing out that not everybody gets to vote this time. I explain how this vote is done by way of secret reveal. I have each of them put the unused vote card back into the discard pile and put their chosen card into my palm-up hand. I shuffle and do a dramatic revel. Only now do I explain that this round of voting is one fail card failing the whole mission. Then demonstrate how missions are recorder on the tableau and how we are playing to best three out of five.

People learning the game are not overwhelmed by getting a whole mess of rules thrown at them at once. Rules are introduced gradually and each one has a sort of narrative hook that they can use to remember.

Two additional points.

First, I do all this before passing out the role cards. This way the newbies can vote on the mission in any way they personally choose. I do it this way so people can jump right into doing stuff. However, it would also make sense to do mission-zero after distributing the role cards. Done this way, it gives the opportunity to point out that spys can lie. After all, no spy would sabotage a mission inside their own training came. They would blow their cover.

Second, I use colored chips for the mission selection vote. Players put the chips in a closed fist in front of them. Green chips are for 'go'. Yellow chips are for 'caution'. Using traffic light colors makes it easy to remember what is what, and is thematic in that the mission is "given the green light" when it passes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fin Hopkins
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good! I'll try this the next time I teach the game.

Sorting out the two different votes is the biggest (only?) stumbling block I've had, so going through it practically would probably help a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.