Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
I just wanted to say you were right that this game cannot be played solo. I saw a video review on the breakdown concept of the game and I learned that as the keeper, it's your job to hide clue around the mansion so that the invesigators cannot see. The invesigators does not know what the keeper is going to do and both sides have their own objectives to win the game

I learned that I cannot be the keeper and the invesigator at the same time. Therefore I'm going to have to elliminate this game as an option to buy.

But one person that replied to me explained that you can play solo and he gave me a link to solo rules

I would get this game because it's a cross between Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Post
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played a two player wargame solo before? This is NOT a wargame. But... You can use the same concept when to play it solo. It might not be for you. It has worked for me.

You KNOW the keepers plans because you ARE the keeper. But you are the players also. You can't keep secrets from yourself. (well? future die rolls? random cards? events?) But what if THIS time the party does NOT split up? Or what if they ignore the clues and just try to take out monsters? What if the Keeper does NOT release monsters but spend his tokens to mess with players?

This is just like what a wargamer might go through in a two player wargame that he is playing solo. What if Picket didn't charge at Gettysburg? What if the Confederates took big and little round top early in the battle?

I have played the Mansions of Madness game solo about 3 times now. I just used the normal scenarios. In the second game, I was cheering on the player characters, and LOST. Even though I know what the keeper was doing I was surprised by the events that I did NOT read in advance, and that my strategy for the players failed. But I tried a new strategy on the exact same game and got the players to win....barely. Even though I knew everything about the game I just played (heck! I JUST played it), I still had fun. Two things I didn't know in the last game: would the dice roll in my favor? and...is my new plan going to work?!

It also helps to set up the facedown cards in advance and forget about them for a while. Then those cards are a surprise too. Sure the game would run differently knowing the outcome. But I still can play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:

I would get this game because it's a cross between Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill

No it's not. It is a cross between Arkham Horror(theme, a few similar mechanics) and Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Do no accuse this game of having such a horrid parent as BaHotH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
I was told from watching a youtube video about this game that the guy said that it's like playing BaHotH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I was told from watching a youtube video about this game that the guy said that it's like playing BaHotH

No it's not.

Very little if anything similar between these two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

They are both set in a house. And players (some o them) move their figures on modular board.
So it is also similar Cartagena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
corkysru wrote:

They are both set in a house. And players (some o them) move their figures on modular board.
So it is also similar Cartagena.

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's me, the fabulous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's really not, though, It's like playing Descent with some fluff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daveboy wrote:

It's really not, though, It's like playing Descent with some fluff.

Basically. Super simple descent with the flavor and story telling of Arkham horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.