United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something that I've done for a couple months and it has been moderately successful. I have a lot of fun talking about it, so I thought I'd make it a regular thing. Many thanks to

Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for getting it all started back in March 2011.

The current list = Games only YOU have played in June 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't you wait until the 1st of July to post the list for June? Things can change in those last days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
Shouldn't you wait until the 1st of July to post the list for June? Things can change in those last days...

It's much easier to search the information during the month in question because of that "Plays This Month" link in each game page. If the status changes between the date someone posts a game and the end of the month, well then we'll take credit for inspiring that person to pull out the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
teufen wrote:

It's much easier to search the information during the month in question because of that "Plays This Month" link in each game page. If the status changes between the date someone posts a game and the end of the month, well then we'll take credit for inspiring that person to pull out the game.

true, but... you could use the same link, and just manually change the date:
games of "play on wordz" played in June: (gamepage -> stats -> games played this month):
http://boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/16727/2011-06

games of "play on wordz" played in May: change '06' by '05' in the URL:
http://boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/16727/2011-05

Not that it matters that much, it's just my "statistically correct alter ego" that stirred at the idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
Blott wrote:
teufen wrote:

true, but... you could use the same link, and just manually change the date:
games of "play on wordz" played in June: (gamepage -> stats -> games played this month):

Not that it matters that much, it's just my "statistically correct alter ego" that stirred at the idea...

I just didn't want it to be that much work for people. Ideally I wish we just had a program that would list out your games played by the number of others who played them in the month. That way you could just search the low ones (to see if the other logged plays were the people you played with) and be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Ideally I wish we just had a program that would list out your games played by the number of others who played them in the month. That way you could just search the low ones (to see if the other logged plays were the people you played with) and be done.

Unfortunatly I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure it can be done using the XML API. Maybe this is a good metric/statistic to get into the extended stats pages by
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll ask him about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
teufen wrote:

I like it towards the end of the month. On the rare occasions where I am the only player of a game, I like checking back to see if I've remained the only player, and I also like the chance to be inspired, or to put it more devilishly, to knock somebody out as the only player in a month. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, data for the 'number of plays' is not included in the XMLAPI2 results for the game...

e.g.
http://boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi2/thing?id=13

We could ask Jester if he could include it by posting here:
BoardGameGeek XML API

With that information available, a script would need to pull out your games played data for the period... and then pull down the data for each game.. not too tricky to write, but it could take a while to execute, especially if you've played a lot of different games in the month. We may also run into problems of pagination if you've played so many games that the XMLAPI2 splits the data into several pages.

The alternative is a script to do page scrapping, which is not as easy to write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
than maybe Ben's idea to just do it in the last days of the month is better after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
As far as I can tell, data for the 'number of plays' is not included in the XMLAPI2 results for the game...

e.g.
http://boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi2/thing?id=13

We could ask Jester if he could include it by posting here:
BoardGameGeek XML API

With that information available, a script would need to pull out your games played data for the period... and then pull down the data for each game.. not too tricky to write, but it could take a while to execute, especially if you've played a lot of different games in the month. We may also run into problems of pagination if you've played so many games that the XMLAPI2 splits the data into several pages.

The alternative is a script to do page scrapping, which is not as easy to write.

I literally have no idea what you are talking about at all. Sounds neat though!

For now I'll stick with last few days of the month, if someone comes up with some ingenious technological wonder that can pull the data easily, even for the computer dummies like me, I'll reassess the situation at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It couldn't be total automated because it couldn't know if multiple users were in the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
It couldn't be total automated because it couldn't know if multiple users were in the same game.

Right. That's why I suggested something that just listed your games played for the month and the number of total plays for the month. You could simply skip over all the big numbers and drift down to the ones that might be applicable. What would be really cool is if the numbers were a link that linked directly to the "Games Played for June" page, so you wouldn't even have to do this whole thing:

teufen wrote:
use the same link, and just manually change the date:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a faster way to do it, actually- from your plays by date view, click on the "All plays" link. That gives you a by-month summary of all plays for all time, and you can click through to the correct month. (http://boardgamegeek.com/playsummary/thing/36218, for instance)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the data for everyone who's played a game, I only gather data for the users of the site. I used to get that data (5 years ago), but the value / bandwidth ratio didn't seem to be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
I don't have the data for everyone who's played a game, I only gather data for the users of the site. I used to get that data (5 years ago), but the value / bandwidth ratio didn't seem to be worth it.

OK, fair enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK...final decision for now (barring any technological marvel like the one I described) = Although it may bother Christopher's "statistically correct alter ego" I think I'm going to stick with a few days before the end of each month. The reason is two-fold: 1) I think the "Plays This Month" link is a little more self-explanatory for users to access; and 2) So many of the other monthly lists (New to You, Most-Played Game, etc.) hit right at the beginning of the month so I don't want to get lost in the shuffle of those amazing lists.

If you have a different solution in the future please feel free to contact me through geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in July 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in August 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in September 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in October 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in November 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in December 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in January 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games only YOU have played in February 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was fun. Will we have one for March?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.