Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Thor Egil Braadland, Oslo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently posted a somewhat popular geek list and a scatter plot.

So I have received geek gold for this work. I must assume this gold is donated in an attempt to show gratitude for my work, an not as irony, which for I of course am grateful.

But 0,25 GOLD? 0,05 GOLD?? 0.02 GOLD???

What IS this?

I guess it would be regarded as arrogant to send the money back. But the temptation is growing.

Anybody who has dared to send gold (eg. copper) back? Or would that automatically be regarded as overwhelmingly rude to donators with - hopefully - good intentions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotntot wrote:

So I have received geek gold for this work. I must assume this gold is donated in an attempt to show gratitude for my work, an not as irony, which for I of course am grateful.

What IS this?

I guess it would be regarded as arrogant to send the money back. But the temptation is growing.

Anybody who has dared to send gold (eg. copper) back? Or would that automatically be regarded as overwhelmingly rude to donators with - hopefully - good intentions?

Ever thought that maybe its all they have? Some one has given you an unsolicited tip for doing something they liked. No I would never send back a gift no matter how small. I say thank you, it was after all a thank you to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Ever thought that maybe its all they have? Some one has given you an unsolicited tip for doing something they liked. No I would never send back a gift no matter how small. I say thank you, it was after all a thank you to me.

I agree... Some of us are poor, GG-wise cry

I don't think the size of the reward is nearly as important as the fact that someone did in fact want to thank & reward you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Hotntot wrote:

What IS this?

Addendum

Yes I would consider it bloody rude, and the person who did it a total arse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I agree... Some of us are poor, GG-wise :cry:

I don't think the size of the reward is nearly as important as the fact that someone did in fact want to thank & reward you.

Its hard work getting GG. Its a reward for making BBG better, so if they give you part of their reward for making BBG better they are saying I think you have made BGG better. Its a courtesy, be courteous back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The person who gave him 0.02GG has a balance of 187.77GG.

The person who gave him 0.05GG has a balance of 22.59GG.

The two who tipped 0.25GG? 40.28GG and 56.79GG.

Tipping GG is largely just a showy supplement to thumbing. Yeah, 5+ GG actually means something. I most commonly see 5GG tips on things like files and variants, things that can actually be used while gaming as opposed to "consumable" lists such as yours .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:

Tipping GG is largely just a showy supplement to thumbing. Yeah, 5+ GG actually means something. I most commonly see 5GG tips on things like files and variants, things that can actually be used while gaming as opposed to "consumable" lists such as yours .

Maybe instead of giving 5GG to 8 people those users would rather give 0.25GG to a hundred people and still have some left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:

And a geek badge is 50GG, advert blocking cost 20GG for 30 days. How do we know they are not saving up to buy something like 2 yesrs free form adds. A cause they have now put back to say cheers mate your a gezzer? I agree its a way of saying thumb+, but why does it have to be a large amount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotntot wrote:

Hotntot wrote:

What IS this?

You don't sound grateful. You sound very ungrateful. Why is virtual money so important to you that you want large tips from people? As others have posted, there are many good reasons why somebody might only be willing or able to tip a small amount - not least of which may be the post may not be 'worth' more to the tipper.

If anything, your post here has made me less likely to tip anything else you might post in the future, since I now know that you scorn the size of tips which I would typically give. Oh well, I'm sure somebody else will appreciate them instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, thanks for a great discussion.

To those of you thinking I'm an ungrateful: I would appreciate if you belived my on that I am not. I don't save gold.

(My last days tips were, 2, 1, 1, 5 and 1. I now have a balance of 6.5 gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a special thanks to
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
, who tipped this thread a 0.01! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Its hard work getting GG. Its a reward for making BBG better, so if they give you part of their reward for making BBG better they are saying I think you have made BGG better. Its a courtesy, be courteous back.

OK, thanks! Will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's become my modus operandi lately to tip 0.02 GG to any reply that I found personally useful, especially if others seem to be getting distracted from the topic. It's rare that I tip more than that, but I would tip 1GG to reward creativity or insightful analysis, or just for starting a thread that I particularly enjoy subscribing to.

For example, if I ask for recommendations in a post, I'll generally tip 0.02 GG to every person who recommended the game that I went with in the end. I might tip 0.25 if it was their analysis that most strongly influenced my decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have often thought that the English expression "my 2 cents worth" influences (consciously or unconsciously) people to tip 0.02...

In any case, it would never occur to me to be upset at someone tipping 0.02 or other small amount, nor to send the money back as some kind of offended statement that their tip was too low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get offended when I am tipped at least 5GG. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I only get offended when I am tipped at least 5GG. :ninja:

I won't offend you then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I have often thought that the English expression "my 2 cents worth" influences (consciously or unconsciously) people to tip 0.02...

I suspect that the fact that it's one of the six available presets on the tip dropdown has a greater effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
russ wrote:

I suspect that the fact that it's one of the six available presets on the tip dropdown has a greater effect.

Agreed. But perhaps "2 cents worth" was an influence on why it's one of the six available presets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.