Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Met my friend Eric yesterday for a game of Fighting Formations, followed up by some Advanced Squad Leader

The Fighting Formations game was EPIC.

It went all 4 turns, we were playing scenario "0" the intro scenario, set in 1942.

The game was a lop sided German affair as Eric took out all my Soviet Armor early, and immobilized two tanks.

As the game wound down, I decided to make a desperation shot on a STUG III. In Fighting Formations there is a FATE CARD, and he who holds that card during the game can pass it to the opponent to reroll and die roll.

Also if you hold the Fate Card in the event of a TIE, the holder wins.

I didn't think much of it at the time. I was up 4-3 in Victory Point locations and the game was winding down.

I decided to shoot a STUG III with my last full platoon of T-34's. I fired, got a crap roll, and then passed Eric the Fate Card to reroll. I rolled WORSE.

I think you see where this is going

Next turn, the last turn it turned out (when the game hits Sudden Death you roll to see if it ends) Eric assaults one of my Victory Point locations, making it contested.

The game is tied 3-3 now. I roll Sudden Death. My luck, game ends.

Eric defiantly holds up the Fate Card to me that I had just passed to him the last turn to take that ill fated shot.

Russians lose....angry

This is one of the best war boardgames on the market right now for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
banbury
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm... actually, you won whistle

Straight from the rules 22.3:
the last player to have solely occupied an objective with a friendly unit
should place/flip the Control marker within that objective to match
the faction he is commanding.

So providing the mellee was ongoing, you didn't lose that point at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizbeth is right: you were the last sole occupant of that melee hex, so you won the game 4-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the German player has a bit of finesse to win this one . . . the Soviets sort of just lump in and occupy the buildings and then try to hold them. The Germans have an uphill battle using every trick in the book to get the Soviets out. I think newb players favor the Soviets pretty heavily, but I suspect that after players gain a bit of experience, the odds even out.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ARGH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.