Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

I would like help choosing my next wargame.
I am recently new to wargaming and I have a couple of them already, as you could see in my geek games.
I am thinking buying a new one and I would apreciate sugestions.

Edit: I like the era of World War I and World War II.
I am having a blast with RAF, victory lost and victory denied, paths of glory.
I was thinking in Baltic Gap, Burma, Battle Over the Clouds but I do think it´s games with a complexity that not suits me right now.
If you do recommend Combat Commander, please wich the best now a days.
Sorry about the english.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us what you like. What have you played in any game before and what you liked about it. Also is there an era that you like to play. Do you like complex or simple games?

In looking at your ratings of what you have played Combat Commander Europe may be up your ally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Burma's very good (I'd assume same with Baltic Gap).

It's more complex than PoG, but I found it easier to learn -
far clearer rules. On the other hand, if you haven't played
a traditional hex game, I'd suggest going with something far
far lighter as a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

far lighter as a start.

What do you suggest, then...
Edit: Lighter as a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
psicoserra wrote:
calandale wrote:

far lighter as a start.

The Gamers' Standard Combat Series is pretty good - and if you
were able to tackle PoG, you should be able to handle this.

On the lighter side, I'm really most aware of older games,
things like Afrika Korps, Victory in the West and
the like, many of which can be picked up fairly cheaply used.

On the World War One side, you can't beat SPI's old mag/folio game
(tough to find here due to the search tools) for a good intro (there's
a link to it - and video reviews - near the top of my list, here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
psicoserra wrote:
calandale wrote:

far lighter as a start.

What do you think about Battle Above the Clouds, Black Wednesday, GD 42, Gualadajara, Storm over Stalingrad or others of MMP?
I am going to play them in the begining solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
psicoserra wrote:
calandale wrote:
psicoserra wrote:
calandale wrote:

far lighter as a start.

What do you think about Battle Above the Clouds, Black Wednesday, GD 42, Gualadajara, Storm over Stalingrad or others of MMP?
I am going to play them in the begining solo...

All TCS? I haven't actually played any. Just picked up
Black Wednesday. My guess is that they're fairly complex,
BUT, the operational games won't give much experience that is
useful. You might want to consider a PanzerBlitz (or better
PanzerLeader) before moving right into these. My experience of
The Gamers is that they produce excellent games, but there's a
lot of prior experience assumed (even for SCS). Someone with more
experience with these games will give you a better feel though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Paths of Glory, you may want to try Shifting Sands or World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin. Both use the same system, so you already know how to play 90% of the game.

Shifting Sands is the North African/WWII campaign. WWII: B2B is by the same designer who made Paths of Glory, but it is WWII/European/North African theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
If you like Paths of Glory, you may want to try Shifting Sands or World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin. Both use the same system, so you already know how to play 90% of the game.

Shifting Sands is the North African/WWII campaign. WWII: B2B is by the same designer who made Paths of Glory, but it is WWII/European/North African theater.

Do you think Barbarossa Crimea, Great War,Europe Deluxe or The Battle for Normandy is better? All from GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to take a look at Pursuit of Glory, which is pretty much the same system as PoG, but focused on the middle-east theater. It's a bit more complicated, but it's similar enough to PoG that it shouldn't be hard to pick up; it's in the process of becoming one of my favorite games.

If you're interested in tactical WWII, you may want to give the ASLSK series a look (hard to beat the price).

So far as I recall, all the games you just listed are on the "big" side. This isn't bad per se, but do keep in mind that that they are definitely going to take a lot of effort. The only one I have experience with is Barbarossa: Crimea, which isn't that big, but while not horribly complex, there is a lot going on with it.

My understanding is the system used in Normandy '44 is very good, and you may want to look at it instead of Battle for Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
You might also want to take a look at Pursuit of Glory, which is pretty much the same system as PoG, but focused on the middle-east theater. It's a bit more complicated, but it's similar enough to PoG that it shouldn't be hard to pick up; it's in the process of becoming one of my favorite games.

If you're interested in tactical WWII, you may want to give the ASLSK series a look (hard to beat the price).

So far as I recall, all the games you just listed are on the "big" side. This isn't bad per se, but do keep in mind that that they are definitely going to take a lot of effort. The only one I have experience with is Barbarossa: Crimea, which isn't that big, but while not horribly complex, there is a lot going on with it.

My understanding is the system used in Normandy '44 is very good, and you may want to look at it instead of Battle for Normandy.

I already have those that you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are keen to get into the Gamers OCS system, be forewarned that it is very involved, with lots of emphasis on logistics. An interim step IMHO is the SCS Stalingrad Pocket II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For not-too-complex tactical level Combat Commander is, for sure, pretty good. I wish I could play more but my usual opponents are tank heads and, with CC lacking armour, they are completely disinterested.

Also tactical level and also quite easy to learn is Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front. I advise you to check reviews and ask around for advice on which games are the best for you as, while some are quite good, there are several that are very poor.

Finally, if you are leaning toward operational level (you mention Burma and Baltic Gap) I will second the SCS series from MMP. The single finest operational level game I have ever played is Afrika II. If you can find it for a reasonable price, get it.

(Don't worry about your English; it's far better than my Portuguese.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Do you think Barbarossa Crimea, Great War,Europe Deluxe or The Battle for Normandy is better? All from GMT.

I don't know. You will have to ask some of the other guys around here, as I have not played them.

If you want a tactical game, I will second anything Panzer Grenadier. It is a fine system. Just keep in mind that it's not on VASSAL and probably never will be, so be prepared to play solo or hope you have buddies who like it, also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. You can't really go wrong with the SCS series as a new wargamer. I second the recommendation for Stalingrad Pocket II. Although it is a game with a tight balance for two players, it is good for exploring solo. On a more tactical level Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege is extremely flavourful and rewards careful examination.

Ardennes is a particular favourite, covering the entirety of the Battle of the Bulge at regimental scale. One can play portions of the game and discover something new each time.

Storm Over Stalingrad is not SCS. It is an area/impulse game much the same complexity as its ancestor Storm over Arnhem but actually simpler in play and having the added flavour of card play, which does get in the way of solo play. I do solo it from time to time, but not competitively

Once you have an SCS game or two under your belt, particularly Gazala and/or Crusader you are playing OCS "lite" already, so you can then discover the richness and diversity of WW2 battles with DAK2 and Case Blue. You will find players for these on VASSAL. I am available cool

Seriously what has been said before is extremely good advice. Pick a game and give it a spin. You can find many who will be happy to encourage you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, made the choise and they are:

Stalingrad Pocket (2nd edition) and Bastogne: Sreaming Eagles Under Siege.

Couldn´t find Afrika and Ardennes on sale.

Now, I will wait for this games and then I am going to anoying you all with questions about the rules.

Thanks to you all for helping me enter the SCS games.

Best wishes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you!

I'll be around if you need advice or someone to fight withzombie

Enjoy the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Septic wrote:
Good for you!

I'll be around if you need advice or someone to fight withzombie

Enjoy the games.

Great...

I will need advice and fight.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best game I have EVER played is Paths of Glory, but I don't really see how other peoples preferences can help YOU decide

Anyway, Barbarossa to Berlin and Shifting Sands are good games if you enjoy PoG and also Pursuit of Glory, Combat Commander: Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:

Now, I will wait for this games and then I am going to anoying you all with questions about the rules.

Best wishes...

Let us know what you think of them!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
The best game I have EVER played is Paths of Glory, but I don't really see how other peoples preferences can help YOU decide

Anyway, Barbarossa to Berlin and Shifting Sands are good games if you enjoy PoG and also Pursuit of Glory, Combat Commander: Europe.

The preferences of the other people are very important to me, because was that people that made me get into this great hoby.
When people give their sugestions I do research in the BGG or other sites and compare my tastes with the sugestions. Sometimes I discover other games that was trigered by sugestions.
I apreciated your preferences and in time I will try Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:
philmcd wrote:

The preferences of the other people are very important to me, because was that people that made me get into this great hoby.
When people give their sugestions I do research in the BGG or other sites and compare my tastes with the sugestions. Sometimes I discover other games that was trigered by sugestions.

I wasn't saying you were wrong to do so, just that personal preferences colour our tastes, so someone elses preference may be for games that you will hate, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
psicoserra wrote:

Best wishes...

Let us know what you think of them!!!

Hi Marco

I will post it as soon as possible.
Marco, I still play Hornet Leader because of your review and I really enjoy that game. Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
psicoserra wrote:
philmcd wrote:

I wasn't saying you were wrong to do so, just that personal preferences colour our tastes, so someone elses preference may be for games that you will hate, that's all.

I agree with you Phil and I do believe that we must start with certain games that open certain windows to anothers. It´s a risk but necessary.
Thanks for your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of OCS (Burma and Baltic Gap) and also of TCS (Black Wednesday GD '42).

I also like very much both Paths of Glory and A Victory Lost but I would like to warn you that both TCS and OCS are bigger games by a large margin. The rules are 40 pages long but clear and not really complex. But the games length are much longer, 40-60 hours for most campaigns, of course there are shorter scenarios. Moreover Both PoG and AVL are one mapper whereas most TCS or OCS have at least two maps.

So Starting with SCS might be a good option. They're allready meaty games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.