Subject: Skirmish mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been interested in Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game (CoN) until I realized it plays in as much time as CitOW. In that timeframe and with 4 players, I would always choose to play CitoW so I dropped it from my wishlist.

The 2 games are similar in certain ways - there are 4 factions each with their own deck of event cards and the turn order was fixed for each faction.

However, the one thing that caught my attention was that CoN starts the game with a bunch of units already on the board. This bypasses the typical build-up phase of these type of games and pushes the game into overdrive right from the start!

The one thing that has kept me from playing more CitOW (other than requiring 4 players... ideally) is the time required.

As we all know, we have some pretty brilliant geeks in our ranks. Could someone come up with a similar preset arrangement of units on the CitOW board as a variant for those that are prone to AP or just really pressed for time? A "skirmish mode", so to speak.

The preset would take into consideration the turn order advantage and the strength/weaknesses of each god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
A preset arrangement would also require a preset allotment of peasants, warpstones and nobles. But part of the variability is the different arrangement of those three things every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those could either be preset as well with the goal of creating as much immediate tension as possible or perhaps these could be randomly distributed at the start and based on the quantity of each, players then receive a certain number of units to place on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:

Could someone come up with a similar preset arrangement of units on the CitOW board as a variant for those that are prone to AP or just really pressed for time? A "skirmish mode", so to speak.

I would like to play this way, too. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this could be pretty simple to work out.

Setup 7a:

Each player remove two groups from his figures, one group of one Warrior and one group of two Cultists. In turn order, starting with Khorne, each player places one group in a region that has no figures in it. Then, in reverse turn order, starting with Slaanesh, each player places his remaining group in a region that has no figures in it. This should leave one region empty of figures, or three regions if playing with three players.

Horned Rat expansion errata:

The Horned Rat player places figures the same way as everyone else, with two exceptions:
-- The Horned Rat places his first group after Slaanesh's first group, and his second group after Khorne's second group.
-- The Horned Rat's figures may coexist with other player's figures during the initial placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the setup is done after the random placement of nobles, warpstones and peasants? Looks like a very elegant solution!

Another question is whether the victory conditions need to be adjusted downwards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice think about CitoW is that you get straight into the conflict, compared to other such games, there isn't that much "building up". Nevertheless, a "skirmish" mode is an interesting thought experiment.

Here's a completely untested proposal that aims to jump past the first two rounds:
* Prepare the Old World deck as normal, but reveal and immediately execute two of the cards (shortening the game and seeding any extra tokens)
* Each player immediately ticks their dial until they hit their first upgrade (3 ticks for Nurgle and 2 ticks for the others), applying the effects (and choosing upgrades) in player order
* In player order, each player places 3PP of figures in any single region (they are allowed to place into others' regions), then repeat this process, ignoring adjacency requirements
* Regions require a total of 8 rather than 12 corruption to ruin
* Game end triggers are as normal (Old World deck depletion, 50VP, dial victory, 5 region ruination)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.