Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title indicates.

US player draws OPEC which would yield the USSR 6 points if played by the US. Can this card be spaced in the headline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't put a card towards the space race in the headline phase no matter how you got it. Headline phase cards must be played for their event.
See below!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
You can't put a card towards the space race in the headline phase no matter how you got it. Headline phase cards must be played for their event.

This is correct for cards that are headlined, but does not apply to the OP's question. Grain Sales is headlined as an event. The resolution of that event allows them to draw a card from the USSR player's hand and "play it or return it." As such, the card may be played in any way under the normal rules: Influence, Coups, Realignments, Space Race. That's why Grain Sales is revered as a powerful US card and in particular one of their best headlines, if not THE best headline. It allows the US to pre-empt Soviet AR1.

So to directly answer the OP's question, yes, OPEC can be space raced once pulled via Grain Sales. Doing so merely resolves the Grain Sales event text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise
Whoopsie!
Thanks for the correction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
surprise
Whoopsie!
Thanks for the correction!

No problem.

I reworded my reply for greater clarity. It's a good question.

Long live Grain Sales!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses!

Just for completeness, the event would go off if the US played the card for OPs, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the other option is to return the card and play grain sales for the ops value, not triggering the card that was pulled from the USSR hand (but leaving that card for the USSR player to play later in the turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Yes, but the other option is to return the card and play grain sales for the ops value, not triggering the card that was pulled from the USSR hand (but leaving that card for the USSR player to play later in the turn).

Unless the card I pull from the Soviet hand will be a complete disaster for me, I always play it either for ops or space, because it shorts the Soviets a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not arguing, but... you guys are sure that you can space the card? Because Space Race requires you to "discard" a card, per the rules. To me, it seems like that's not considered playing the card. But if that's the rule, then I guess that's the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting question. In the rulebook, SR appears under the Operations section after Placing Influence, Realignment and Coups but it does have a slightly different wording (regarding discarding the card). I would still think that it's considered a way to "play" the card though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rather good FAQ that handles this and may other questions, you can find it here on BGG

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65974/deluxe-faq-reformatt...

The FAQ is authorized as official by designer Jason Matthews, and I don't think the answer leaves much discussion...

You can space race the card if the ops points qualify!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
This is correct for cards that are headlined, but does not apply to the OP's question. Grain Sales is headlined as an event. The resolution of that event allows them to draw a card from the USSR player's hand and "play it or return it." As such, the card may be played in any way under the normal rules: Influence, Coups, Realignments, Space Race.

Or for its event, of course.
Not advisable with OPEC, but worth to keep in mind for the occasional American card drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always fun to read new questions about the game. I haven't had this come up yet, but glad to know, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.