BANG!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Panic can be used on yourself? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cris silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
so , this question arise when a player play a card panic on himself.
this can happen? or by the rules is not right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
Panic allows you to draw a card from another player who is no further than range 1 away from you.
This may be a random card from his hand, or one from the table (your choice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panic! can be played on yourself. It translates to "draw a card from any one player at a distance up to 1", which includes yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with Arthur. You are not at Distance 1, you are at distance 0. The card is NOT translated "up to" but is specifically "distance 1." This is how Panic is translated in the rules and supersedes the generic icon "up to" of the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules, I stand by my interpretation. The rules do say, "The symbols state: “'Draw a card' from 'a player at
distance 1'," but right to the left of that it explains the symbol in question as meaning, "the effect applies to any one player at a distance of the number or less." The symbol is so rarely used that I would be inclined to see the card explanation as poor proofreading, and that Panic! sticks with the definition of the symbol.

As well, the unofficial Bang! blog (certainly not an authoritative source, but I suspect the author knows the FAQs well) says that you can. "With Suzy Lafayette, it is important to remember that she can Cat Balou and Panic cards from her own hand or in front of her."

EDIT: The rules also state, "Distances less than 1 are considered to be 1." You are always 1 away from yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Pulido

Utah
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely! You can Panic! or Cat Balou yourself. This is very useful as Jose Delgado (stealing only blue cards in play to discard from hand to draw more cards) and as Suzy Lafayatte, as was already pointed out. I am flattered by the reference to my blog. For a source, I recommend checking the BANG! designer's (Emiliano Sciarra's) comment here. It is the fifth one down, although he does have some other interesting remarks further down. You can Panic!/Cat Balou yourself, but you cannot BANG! yourself. When you Panic!/Cat Balou yourself, if it is from your hand it must be at random as it is with other players. Since you can Panic!/Cat Balou yourself, it makes sense that you could also Rag Time, Conestoga, or Can Can yourself too (Brawl wouldn't work since it affects all other players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cris silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrcosta wrote:
Thanks for the answer!

Pretty sure you just set a record with that reply...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cris silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's already been answered...but yes. I accidentally do this to myself all the time in the app. Drives me insane. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.