Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen cards like this in any games before. They are very bendy, but feel like they would last many plays. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what they are made out of? Are they super thin paper with thick plastic laminated on them? I know they have a linen finish on top of whatever material they are.

Has anyone played the game a lot, do the cards hold up well to wear?

I wish there were extra cards in the box to try and see if they tear easily or are tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

All this talk about the cards in this game has got me curious. Now I want to buy the game just to see the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the very same thing today when I was looking over the components. It doesn't look like your standard card stock that you would expect to see. But not CCG stock either. It's something entirely different. I did some experimenting and it definitely has a paper core. I'd say the core is thin card stock, thinner than usual. But then the 'linen' finish looks like it is probably a thin plastic coating. The cards are very easy to shuffle because they are so flexible. Only time will tell though how long those edges will hold up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They are nice cards. Kind of exotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it over lunch (first game, 22 points, captain level).

The cards are interesting. They have the feel of plastic playing cards to me, but not quite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sime Mardesic
Australia
Bacchus Marsh
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just played this over lunch (first game, 22 points, captain level, Uhura best on ground).

Those cards are bizarre. In fact the all the components felt a little strange. I suspect it was because of having played so many Z-Man and FF games that have a certain feel to them.

The cards look flimsy as they can bend where they please but durable in that they don't look they will wear down easily. Not sure if that makes sense. They appear to be made of one part nylon, one part plastic, two parts magic, and another part mystery.

Fun little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other component news. I've had the game open for a couple of days and after two plays I'm starting to see some warping. The scoring board and the Captain's Log tiles are the culprit, so far the game board and small tiles are fine. Yesterday all the Captain's Log tiles fit in the tray nicely. I played tonight and they no longer stacked nicely.

As for my little experiment with the cards I guess I should elaborate a little. I split one of the corners on a card with an exacto knife. The core is definitely paper and quite thin. Substantially thinner than 110 lb. card stock. That explains the flexibility. But I'd imagine that the edges will soon begin to show wear since the plastic coating doesn't wrap around the edge. The cards are thin enough that it would appear side shuffling would be a good idea. But I think that will quickly damage the cards. Given the flexibility of the cards a riffle shuffle looks the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.