Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so I'm playing this game tomorrow and I want to make something that'll throw the newbies in the right direction, yet be concise so they aren't overwhelmed with the load of rules they have to swallow already.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YkpPbqua2N_KXE4hagH_cWu0...

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
Alright, so I'm playing this game tomorrow and I want to make something that'll throw the newbies in the right direction, yet be concise so they aren't overwhelmed with the load of rules they have to swallow already.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YkpPbqua2N_KXE4hagH_cWu0...

Comments?

--use AQ on pilots in space to cause sectors to be undefended

--You should be XO-ing people anyways whenever you can, not just when it's calm, unless it's one of these "even when..." moments you're describing.

--If you have nobody drawing blue naturally, use Research Lab.
--You';ll want to use XOs so that you won't have to wait all the way until it gets back to that same person's turn to Repair

--if calm, also use Research Lab to draw purple cards
--Use Consolidate Power to get more/better/different types cards. Works great with Press Room

--For unrevealed cylon strategy try to use your OPG before revealing. Worth noting is using your OPG almost always outs you
--No matter which side you're on, do NOT forget to use your OPG ability! Sometimes, it didn't help, but other times, it may have, and that's a shame!

--Exploit weaknesses whenever you can! Go to a location so Zarek can't use it. Force Roslin to have to activate a location herself. Brig Starbuck via AQ since the difficulty is reduced by 4.

--note cylons who, or as a cylon, overcommit and waste too many cards into skill checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I wouldn't use Strategic Planning on FTL at -1, especially a 4 or 5 of purple. Population is the longest dial and it is usually not critical, so it is usually best to chance it and shrug if the roll fails. Always jumping at -1 is standard. If someone doesn't press FTL at -1, I view that as suspicious. (Exception: you have already lost a lot of pop).

3. You don't always need to shoot raiders via command. It might be better to play maximum firepower, use communications to move the civilian ships, or simply ignore the raiders knowing that you will jump soon and there are enough vipers/evasive maneuvers to hold out.

Basestars are less dangerous than new players think they are. A single Basestar is okay to ignore, especially if it appears mid to late jump cycle. Galactica getting shot at is a minor irritation, a Basestar launching ships usually doesn't matter because by the time they have activated enough to be a threat you are ready to jump. Two Basestars should be taken seriously. Even so, Weapons Control is not a very effective or reliable location because it only has a 50% chance of working (Executive order gives you 2 shots, averaging 1 hit, which is reasonable). Consider using a nuke (so you only have to deal with 1 basestar), communications, command and pilots before weapons control.

Low resources and low cards are two sides of the same coin, and the best (preventative) solution is Press Room (Research Lab is weak because you only get 1 card). When resources run very low, Quorum cards might save the day, but they depend on dice rolls and drawing the right cards. Also, as a rule of thumb Yellow/Green/Purple = helpful for skill checks, Red/Blue = not helpful for skill checks.

Morale and food are mainly lost via crisis cards, population is mainly lost from civilian ships, fuel is mainly lost by jumping and 'Admiral chooses' crisis cards. It is important that players know that fuel is the most precious resource: if you waste fuel, you lose.

When it is calm:
Also
1. play Launch Scout to check the jump destination. My rule of thumb is 1 = discard, 3 = keep, 2 = look at fuel economy (2 for 2 gets discarded).
2. Now is the time to repair stuff

Cylons:
Jumping at -3 is very risky. The humans will probably strat plan it, so it's 50-50 whether you hurt them or help them. Administration is also risky because you might fail, and the Quorum hand might not be worth it.

Apart from that, doing anything obvious will mean that they try to brig you. Admirals quarters will mean that they have to waste a lot of cards (good), but an arrest order (Quorum) is a cheap way to brig you.

Green and Purple are the best colours for sabotaging skill checks, as most characters draw those colours, so it won't be obvious who did it. Likewise there are often only 1-2 players who draw Yellow/Red/Blue, so if you use those colours you will be put under close scrutiny. However if you can do enough damage then it will have been worth it.

You can also use Communications to send more civilians into harms way This is best when you've been executive ordered to save civilians!

When revealed, Crisis/Super crisis is the default action: hammer their resources or find Cylon attack cards. Cylon fleet is highly situational. Human fleet is so underpowered that I never use it IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

--You should be XO-ing people anyways whenever you can, not just when it's calm, unless it's one of these "even when..." moments you're describing.

I prefer not to use XO too much. If I'm a Cylon, I'd obviously rather launch scout or use press room etc.
If it's pre-sleeper phase and I'm not a Cylon, I still might become one - especially if it looks like there aren't any Cylons yet: in that case there's a 40% chance that I'm going to end up as a Cylon. Unless the situation is important, it is better to play selfishly IMO, though I will grudgingly Ex-O people out of sick bay if no-one else will do it.

Post sleeper phase, you run the risk of executive ordering a Cylon - this is especially dangerous if they are the president with a big Quorum hand: a double Arrest Order is ridiculously damaging. If you are reasonably sure they're human, Ex-O away.

Quote:
--If you have nobody drawing blue naturally, use Research Lab.

I prefer to play Consolidate power (strength 1) to get repair cards (the strength 2's I save for skill checks), especially for Laura Roslin so she can actually do something useful. Even then, I'll wait until stuff actually needs fixing instead of drawing rubbish blue cards when they're not needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
play fewer amounts of high power cards (3-5)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

It is good to hoard large cards before the sleeper phase (hold back and only help a little on each skill check). This is especially true for Boomer, who can only play 1 card at a time from the Brig (so you want it to be a big one) , and is the character most likely to become a Cylon.

However, you ideally don't want a hand that consists only of large cards. Crisis cards will commonly say things along the lines of 'the current player/President/Admiral discards 2 skill cards', so you want some low ones you can burn. Laura Roslin in particular is vulnerable to this effect, as she will probably be President (extra discards) and often has already discarded her two smallest cards to activate something. But this is an advanced tactic, you needn't bother beginners with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add more.....
--Go one distance only if you're low on resources. Tylium Planet is risky, but recovering a net of 1 fuel can be worth it.
--Food is typically benign, but every now and then, it can cause you to lose the game.
--Be extra careful about Morale. The crisis deck has proportionally more cards that target Morale, so while you won't be able to pass all of them, you need to make sure a minimum number of them won't fail.
--pop can be hit or miss. If you keep failing FTL Controls and/or lose alot of civvies, you can find population dangerously even before near the end of the game.

paulclarke339 wrote:
I prefer to play Consolidate power (strength 1) to get repair cards (the strength 2's I save for skill checks), especially for Laura Roslin so she can actually do something useful. Even then, I'll wait until stuff actually needs fixing instead of drawing rubbish blue cards when they're not needed.
For some characters, like the Military Leaders, that won't work. They drew neither yellow nor blue. It isn't early if you see a basestar pop up and it's still early on the jump track, with revealed cylons itching to fire them at you.

paulclarke339 wrote:
Low resources and low cards are two sides of the same coin, and the best (preventative) solution is Press Room (Research Lab is weak because you only get 1 card).
You need to pay 1 skill card to go to Press Room. Then another card to get back to Galactica. In the end, it almost balances out.
Presumably,
--you're paying a lousy card to move to C1
--You won't have to pay a card to get back, as you're staying there
--if you are coming back to Galactica, you're discarding another lousy card
--you stay on C1 to use Press Room at least a couple of times
--You get XO-ed while on Press Room so you can further exploit that spot.

With Research Labs, in theory, you don't need to waste another action to turn the CS into a blue card. And as mentioned above, some characters don't even draw blue nor yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of the Research Lab. It serves its purpose, but unless you've really maneuvered yourself into a corner, you should have other options. (XO, CP, Scout.)

One thing I'd recommend for early cylons: Be subtle until after the sleeper phase, then do a soft-reveal. Your partner will know who you are, and can support you. Two cylons able to XO each other can do a lot of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
--use AQ on pilots in space to cause sectors to be undefended

Amazing tip, thanks!

Quote:
You can also use Communications to send more civilians into harms way This is best when you've been executive ordered to save civilians!

Yet another nugget of gold.

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

It is good to hoard large cards before the sleeper phase (hold back and only help a little on each skill check). This is especially true for Boomer, who can only play 1 card at a time from the Brig (so you want it to be a big one) , and is the character most likely to become a Cylon.

What I meant by my statement was that it's preferable to play into skill checks a fewer amount of high powered cards, VERSUS a mass of cards with powers 1 or 2. You'll end up with more cards and therefore more options later on. Of course this is not the case when your hand is overflowing with cards, but I think it generally works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the Research Lab. It serves its purpose, but unless you've really maneuvered yourself into a corner, you should have other options. (XO, CP, Scout.)

Not necessarily. There aren't that many characters that draw blue, and if the Chief is a cylon you might not be able to rely on the 1 blue per turn that most pilots can draw. If Galactica gets damaged a bunch, or even just once on a critical location like FTL, a move to Research followed by an XO can get the problem fixed quickly.

It's specifically useful when you don't trust the people that can draw blue, but that's not the only time it's useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
One thing I'd recommend for early cylons: Be subtle until after the sleeper phase, then do a soft-reveal. Your partner will know who you are, and can support you. Two cylons able to XO each other can do a lot of damage.

See, I'll agree with the "be subtle" idea, but I think it's imperative for a pre-sleeper Cylon to make sure at least one skill check has obviously been spiked (and ideally, with a color most characters draw). The suspicion cast will greatly reduce the XOs going around, and will cause them to overshoot non-IC skill checks, making the humans much less efficient overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Not necessarily. There aren't that many characters that draw blue, and if the Chief is a cylon you might not be able to rely on the 1 blue per turn that most pilots can draw. If Galactica gets damaged a bunch, or even just once on a critical location like FTL, a move to Research followed by an XO can get the problem fixed quickly.

It's specifically useful when you don't trust the people that can draw blue, but that's not the only time it's useful.

Consolidate Power is a much better bargain than the Research Lab. Not many people draw blue, but a lot more draw yellow. If someone has moved to the damaged location, they can CP for blue and Repair on a single XO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
Consolidate Power is a much better bargain than the Research Lab. Not many people draw blue, but a lot more draw yellow. If someone has moved to the damaged location, they can CP for blue and Repair on a single XO.

True, and that's definitely a good play. But the net gain for CP and Research are the same 1 card. CP's that are 1 are obviously good to play for the action, but spending a 2 pointer to draw 2 blue vs. spending nothing to draw 1 blue is more or less a wash (though admittedly, when you really need to repair, I'd hate to rely on 1 draw to be a repair card). And there are some (3?) characters that don't draw blue or yellow. Plus some (3?) characters that only draw 1 blue and no yellows or 1 yellow and no blues, so there are definitely times when you need to use Research.

I'm not saying it's great, but it's more than "only if you did something wrong."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Hannibal Rex wrote:

True, and that's definitely a good play. But the net gain for CP and Research are the same 1 card. CP's that are 1 are obviously good to play for the action, but spending a 2 pointer to draw 2 blue vs. spending nothing to draw 1 blue is more or less a wash (though admittedly, when you really need to repair, I'd hate to rely on 1 draw to be a repair card). And there are some (3?) characters that don't draw blue or yellow. Plus some (3?) characters that only draw 1 blue and no yellows or 1 yellow and no blues, so there are definitely times when you need to use Research.

I'm not saying it's great, but it's more than "only if you did something wrong."

Sticking with just base game characters.....

All the Military Leaders draw neither yellow nor blue (Adama, Saul, Helo)

Then you got "special cases" like Boomer who after sleeper phase, has a slightly better chance of being a cylon due to her extra loyalty card. Even if she is human, you'd need to get her out of the Brig before she can repair anything

Baltar's case is he's slightly more of a cylon.

All the pilots... Starbuck and Apollo are among the best pilots, so it may be ineffective for them to abandon space just so they can come back onto Galactica and repair stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.