• [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/668509/can-this-game-be-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the best solo game ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this solitaire (using three investigators) and I have a great time playing. I would say "yes" it is worth getting.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur with the rest. Have only ever played solo. Great game will give you hours and hours and hours of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furious Neutral
msg tools
mb
I too have only experienced this as a solo game, and needed two things to start enjoying it:

1) Getting the hang of the rules, obviously. It can seem daunting as the rulebook doesn't necessarily follow the phases in which things happen. E.g.: combat occurs in phase II, but the rules are listed after phase V.

2) Realise you're telling a story - just run an internal monologue, fleshing out the characters, their actions and the horrors around them makes it a lot more fun than just turning over the cards and following the directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great solo.

Play a few games with a single character just to learn the rules and enjoy losing. If you win and the GOO was not Yig then you probably need to read the rules again.

After that it gets so good when you play with 2-4 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure awesome sauce...best solo game ever for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a teenager, I would solitaire Talisman for hours on end (v sad I know).

Playing Arkham Horror solo satisfies the same itch but is much more rewarding. It is much better solo game IMO than the traditional cooperative games because the theme and story are so strong.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Awesome! It may be more fun solo (with 2-4 Investigators) than with a group cause you get to experience ALL the action, there's no downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might already have been said but yes - it's a great solo storytelling game.
It's even fun when you lose and it makes winning (when it comes) even better.
You can lose yourself for hours in the game and it will consume table after table, once you get all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Young
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Huh, interesting. Not quite as keen as the rest of you, I think mainly because it takes forever to set up and break down plus I always have to go back and re-read the rules before I play as it's so convoluted. Because of the first point, I don't play it very often which then leads to the second point.

It's a pretty good game (and I lap up anything Lovecraft related) but I think it's it clunky and that's not something you need when all you have is you to rely on..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warth0g wrote:
Huh, interesting. Not quite as keen as the rest of you, I think mainly because it takes forever to set up and break down plus I always have to go back and re-read the rules before I play as it's so convoluted. Because of the first point, I don't play it very often which then leads to the second point.

It's a pretty good game (and I lap up anything Lovecraft related) but I think it's it clunky and that's not something you need when all you have is you to rely on..

All your points are true (apart from the clunky bit). It's not something you can get out for just a quick game. You may want to try the new FFG game Elder Sign, when it comes out, which looks a lot quicker and simpler, but with the same theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.