Subject: Railways of The World.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im getting ready to place my order for RailWays of the World..Do you recommend it? I usually play games with my spouse and 11 year old.. Is this game easy to teach, I like all sorts of games...are newest game Airline Europe is faboulous..Thanks for the help..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just taught it to my very much non-gaming roommate. We played with the railways through time expansion and it was just awesome.

It's easy to make adjustments to your plans on the fly (unlike AoS) because you can issue bonds at any point to pay for things, actions are not turn-order limited (any player can take any action), and the maps are wide open.

It's a fun game that can be played both strategically and tactically, it's got wonderful bits and enough expansions to ensure you won't be sick of it for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Railways Through Time expansion is a must. It provides instant scalability. The base map is awesome but only really works with larger groups.

Mexico (in the base game) is better for two people, but Time will provide more replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great game, go for it, especially if you have a gaming group to get more people involved in it.

The base game comes with a HUGE map of the Eastern US and a much smaller map of Mexico. If you play the Eastern US map with less than 4 people (it plays great with 6), then you could section off part of it. Basically cover some cities and not build in that area. Otherwise you can run into muliplayer solitaire issues. Of course, if you don't want a lot of interaction/conflict, then play the whole map with fewer players. A lot of people recommend the Mexico map for 2 player, I think mainly because it is smaller, but with only two players, you can end up playing separate sides of the map for most of the game without much interaction. The Mexico map is a fairly difficult and unforgiving map due to city placement with a lot of grey cities that can't be delivered to without urbanizing them. I feel the Mexico map plays better with 4 people that have more experience with the game. Just my 2 cents. Hope you check it out, it really is a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommended Railways of the World to another geek in late May. Railways of the World (out of print, previous incarnation) was what our gaming group cut their teeth on; with plastic trains and laying track on a large playing board, it feels like you're creating a model train diorama! See EndersGame's excellent geeklist on this if you haven't already. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flakybiscuit
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways is a great family game. I recommend that you bite the bullet and add Railways of Europe to your order. This is the best traditional map for 3-4 players. I like the map of Mexico, but it is a different experience than most maps. More costly to build track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.