Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The summer is upon us in full swing and we're taking advantage of it by spending a bunch of time outside. We love camping, hiking, playing frisbe and other outdoor activities. But we also like to just kick back and enjoy the sun. And a number of times we'll pull out a game or two to play outside.

One that we currently love to play outside the most is Hive. We took it camping with us last weekend and was great because it's so easy to pack around, the pieces are very durable and it's easy to wipe of any dirt.

Another we took with us was Who Would Win. Because it's just cards and mostly debates/discussions, it was easy to do after dinner around the campfire.

But we're interested in finding other games that are great for outdoors with the family.

What do you suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Horseshoes, croquet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bocce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoardGameFamily wrote:
The summer is upon us in full swing and we're taking advantage of it by spending a bunch of time outside. We love camping, hiking, playing frisbe and other outdoor activities. But we also like to just kick back and enjoy the sun. And a number of times we'll pull out a game or two to play outside.

One that we currently love to play outside the most is Hive. We took it camping with us last weekend and was great because it's so easy to pack around, the pieces are very durable and it's easy to wipe of any dirt.

Another we took with us was Who Would Win. Because it's just cards and mostly debates/discussions, it was easy to do after dinner around the campfire.

But we're interested in finding other games that are great for outdoors with the family.

What do you suggest?

You didn't mention ages of your kids, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly; my kids are in the 8-15 range, and their interest in gaming varies (working on that ).

For out outdoor adventures, we include Sneaks and Snitches(though it has some small gem pieces).

For one on one, Lord of the Rings: Confrontation(small pack, not the enhanced one) is great for portability and quick/fun game.

Travel Blokus is another neat one, but requires two only; the full version still isn't too bad to pack and plays up to four.

In the vein of one of your games above, there's a "Would you Rather" game that offers choices... those are interesting discussions.

Truthfully, you can't top Advanced Squad Leader to really brighten the campfire and make people forget they ever heard of S'mores... but in the meantime, maybe those ideas above help.

Either way, enjoy the summer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boochie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooting baskets.
Horseshoes
Lawn bowling
Badminton
Tossing a ball around
Catch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Bocce.

Glo-bocce!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ho_qJzjfFA

or speedminton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AwcmCOLgz0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubb
Mölkky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

You didn't mention ages of your kids, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly; my kids are in the 8-15 range, and their interest in gaming varies (working on that ).

What a coincidence - Our kids range in age from 8-15 just like yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good camping games that I'll bring with everytime:

Saboteur - especially at night with lanterns/head lampsZÈRTZ - nice looking abstract, if Hive is okay this should be too, can fit the whole game in a baggie
Biblios - its just a great game for 2-4. Plays fast too so multiple games are common
Decktet - stemming from my love of trick taking games I am trying to bring this everywhere from now on
The Resistance - you could easily play this around a campfire, imagine the mood it would set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Sullivan
United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of games you could throw in a handbag / rucksack / are reasonably resiliant to climatic conditions:

Rory's Story Cubes we have taken this with us and played it (with two 7 year olds and their parents) in the garden of a cafe whilst waiting for food.

Army of Frogs Played on hotel patio in full sun on the morning of my nephew's wedding with grandpa and two 7 year olds.

Sushizock im Gockelwok Played with 9, 15 and 18 year old's in a friends garden on hot sunny day. Obviously Pickomino would work equally well.

Qwirkle We haver put this in a few times but not yet played it outdoors.

Lastly The Resistance played last year on the way back from Essen over the top of a car in the channel Tunnel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joyce King
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Flying kites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.