Subject: Arkham Horror Expansions - which one should I start with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Arkham Horror and for me it have taken board games to another level, the game is simply amazing. I know that I am gonna end up buying the expansions for the game (probably all of them ) but which one should I start with? In what order where they released? Is it better to start with the first one and get them in order or doesn´t it matter?

Is there any expansion that aren´t great? (Can´t imagine that )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeFrank
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dunwhich Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
I really like Arkham Horror and for me it have taken board games to another level, the game is simply amazing. I know that I am gonna end up buying the expansions for the game (probably all of them ) but which one should I start with? In what order where they released? Is it better to start with the first one and get them in order or doesn´t it matter?

Is there any expansion that aren´t great? (Can´t imagine that )

As a start, I'd peruse Which expansions would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich has been out of print for quite a while, so good luck getting it.

According to ThoughtHammer, Innsmouth just went out of print, so if you see it, you may want to snag it before it becomes scarce.

Kingsport is a good expansion to start with, as it adds Epic final combat, new investigators and a new board, along with some other nifty stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Labrecque
United States
Endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My feelings for Arkham Horror probably mirror yours. My first "real" boardgame was the old Arkham Horror, still a personal favorite. When the new version came out I got it right away. Although I've branched out into other games now, it still holds a special place for all of my family. No family vacation would be complete without a running game of Arkham Horror spread out someplace.

If I had to recommend which supplement to buy first, I'd probably look into one of the "large" supplements, particularly Innsmouth. I have all of them and enjoy the to varying degrees. Innsmouth, Dunwich, and Kingsport are the large ones, adding extra boards and more investigators, which is always fun. These contain some really great new investigators.

As for any that aren't great, I really feel that that is a matter of personal preference. I tend not to like the King in Yellow, but that's just my personal feelings. I've heard a lot of good things about it from other gamers, and it's not like I won't play it.

If I can recall correctly, the order of release was: Curse of the Dark Pharoah, Dunwich, King in Yellow, Kingsport, Black Goat of the Woods, Innsmouth, and Lurker at the Threshold. I got them as they were released, but I don't think that the order matters too much.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeFrank wrote:
Dunwhich Horror.

In theory yes, but in practice:

jackalope wrote:
Dunwich has been out of print for quite a while, so good luck getting it.

You may want to consider getting both a large and small expansion. I personally went through this same process recently and ended up getting Innsmouth Horror and Lurker at the Threshold, followed up shortly after by Kingsport and King in Yellow.

Do a bit of research into each of the expansions and think about what you want most - is there particular area where you want more variety, e.g. more investigators and/or Ancient Ones, or more items, skills and allies? Do you want more difficulty or are there particular shortcomings in the gameplay of the base game that you'd like to remedy?

Dunwich is the best all-round solution to all the above, but it's a moot point unless you're prepared to wait for the reprint or do some serious hunting around and pay a premium for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Andrew said, Dunwich is about to be re-released, and most people tend to agree that it's the best one to start with. I'm waiting very anxiously for it to hit the stores.

I already added Lurker, and enjoy it quite a lot as my first expansion. Different gates, Relationship cards, and the Herald (which was a new mechanic to me) and the way he impacts the game (with the power tokens and the cards) are really neat, to me. The other small boxes, like King in Yellow, Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, and the Black Goat of the Woods, all are more thematic than Lurker, but, unless played in the "touring" mode (where you force the game to draw the cards for those expansions first), don't necessarily have the impact on the game that Lurker can. That's the main reason I chose to get it first. I really like the different choices with some of the different gate types, and the Pacts are a really neat touch that can come in to play at any turn.

Don't get me wrong - I'll end up with all of the expansions. But I'm just saying that I enjoy Lurker, and look forward to Dunwich as well as my first big-box expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Labrecque
United States
Endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this review for more info on the expansions: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/609855/arkham-horror-sum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Dunwich is available everywhere in europe, if you are there. seems to me only the US suffer the lack of stocks.

anyway, as far as i am concerned, a big expansion is good to start with. the way i have chosen my first was by affinity with the theme actually.
i loved the Innsmouth and Dunwich stories of Lovecraft and wanted to feel lost in these cities..

so there can be logical reco for choosing the first expansions, but don t forget your own pleasure is my message
and anyway, as you will love the game so much, you will end up with all expansions soon or later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
spetz wrote:
Well, Dunwich is available everywhere in europe, if you are there.

Not in the UK. OOP here and silly prices on ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.