Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: mathmaticaly speaking who would win? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob stone
msg tools
So i am doing some research basicaly googling meditation and chess. And an article pops up saying that the openings of chess have been analised to death and that it is the middle game where the real game play starts and such. So i was wondering if player A makes X move and player B make Y move will there always be an approperiate move for a player untill checkmate?

If so would you say that it would be the same for the game of GO or baduk or weichi?

PS this will be my last question on chess theory i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there will always be a perfect move, it's just the nature of these types of games. When chess is eventually "solved" (meaning a computer has worked out the ramifications of every possible move) it may turn out not to end in checkmate, as it's possible a draw is the best white can hope for assuming perfect play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There will always be a perfect move (although not necessarily ending in checkmate, as Ross said)... if you assume that the other side also has unlimited memory and look-ahead. That's actually a fairly significant caveat. Because if you're playing against something like a human (none of whom meet that criteria), then a move that is non-optimal against another perfect opponent might actually be better, based on what you think they are likely to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In any two player, deterministic, sequential game one of the following statement must be true:

- the game can end in a tie
- either the first or second player (depending on the game in question) can always force a win

Now, in practice any game of interest has a decision tree large enough that this theorem is irrelevant because players don't know what the optimal path is, but in theory yes, chess is a solvable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen to the Ludology podcast, they recently discussed something along these lines recently (in the context of Checkers being "solved").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
(in the context of Checkers being "solved").

See also Connect 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.