Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Scenario One of the ASL Starter Kit today at Fair Game against my mentor Eric from the group.

This was my very FIRST game of ASL. Yeah...I know

Whatever we didnt know, we looked up in the ASL Bible! Clearly explained we would figure it out and move on

This was an interesting battle. The Americans had to hold Vierville after an initial German probe, and then survive later turns as German Fallschirmjagers attacked the town.

This is as basic a scenario as ASL can give you. All infantry, no support weapons, straight up building to building combat but I have to admit I LOVED IT!

This game is a cross between a WW2 RPG and a Tactical Combat System. The hand to hand combat is pretty smooth also. All in all this was a seesaw battle back and forth and eventually I, mainly due to this being my first full game, was backed out of the town by the Germans superior fire and my crappy morale morale rolls which broke a lot of my units (even Captain Dunn could not save them)

We had one ambush in a building when I moved in, and one instance where a German unit failed a rally so bad he suffered Fate and ran off the board (took a hit and was hit already from earlier). By the end of turn 4, with my casualties, I knew turn 5 was not needed as the Germans still held two of the four towns.

Next week we use Demolition Charges, Flamethrowers and Infantry Support Weapons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

Nice to hear from someone who is able to play the game by reading the rules and doesn't get bogged down in a bunch of detailed questions. Read the rules again before you play again and keep on chugging! I'm sure you will notice a few details you didn't get perfectly right - but that learning / discovery process is part of the fun.

Enjoy "the greatest game in the universe"...

Foob

Check out "the two half squads" podcast if you haven't found them already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah I listen to them all the time I actually know Jeff he is a good guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to congratulate you on your first successful game! It's fun, isn't it? I wish more people would try to make the jump into this system. The rules scare people, as well they should, but the complexity of the rules masks a relatively simple infantry combat system that plays really well. I'm glad you liked it. Enjoy the rest. You are hooked, now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian meredith
United States
wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats on your discovery! You might also check out the "files" section on the geek. Patrick Ireland and others have put some fantastic gameplay aids out to make things run a little easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using the majority of those as well, especially the sequence of play that outlines everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian meredith
United States
wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
I have been using the majority of those as well, especially the sequence of play that outlines everything.

Yes, that one is very helpful. I also found the close combat ratio chart to be incredibly helpful to my feeble brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.