Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Bishop has an "In Play" ability which states, "When this minion attacks, inflict 2 damage on target minion."

Should this be interpreted to mean that he is required to go after minions and cannot deal wounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It simply means that when he attacks he deals damage to a minion in addition to the attack. Also, since the defender is not forced to block, if he could only inflict wounds on a creature then you could just nullify him every time but simply not blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
We initially interpreted his ability as you stated— he deals a total of 4 damage, but I'm having second thoughts... It seems a bit too powerful for a 2 influence cost card.

Also, Queen's Bishop's owner chooses which minion he attacks, so the defender must block. I think that's the tradeoff— he gets to pick his shot, but he cannot inflict wounds.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Official Card FAQ: "When "Queens Bishop" is declared as an attacker, inflict 2 damage on a target minion. Then the defending player may declare minions to block. Excess damage from this effect does not carry over to the player."

So while his In Play text cannot inflict wounds, his combat attack still can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, Queen's Bishop's owner chooses which minion he attacks, so the defender must block

This is not true, Queen's Bishop can choose which enemy to do damage to, but the owner does not need to block. You choose which enemy you attack, not which minion you attack. Here is a link to the official FAQ: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66035/item/1715235#item171... This does not state that Queen's Bishop does not deal wounds, thus it seems a stretch to assume otherwise. Also, if he was not supposed to deal wounds, why give him an attack of 2? You could do the same effect with an attack of 0 if the intention was to do damage to a minion when he attacked. Finally, he only has 2 hitpoints, which means almost any minion or effect that deals damage will kill him in 1 swipe, not overpowered at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Here's how a combat phase with him would pan out:
1) Attacking player (Bob) declared "Queen's Bishop" as attacking the defending player (Tom).
2) Bob resolved the In Play text to inflict 2 damage on a minion. If "Queen's Bishop" is the only minion in play, he must target and thus destroy himself.
3) Tom declared his defenders.
4) Combat damage is applied.

So "Queen's Bishop" can inflict a potential total of 4 damage, only 2 of which may end up as wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha... Did you just sneak that into the faq a few minutes ago? I swear I didn't see that when I first jumped online!

This is just the thing for that guy who's coddling a 1-hit point big ghost devil

That's some awesome up-to-the-minute-confusion-clear-upping... Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zedoh6 wrote:
Ha ha... Did you just sneak that into the faq a few minutes ago? I swear I didn't see that when I first jumped online!

Maybe ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zedoh6 wrote:
We initially interpreted his ability as you stated— he deals a total of 4 damage, but I'm having second thoughts... It seems a bit too powerful for a 2 influence cost card.

Zacharias Sands is better (and costs 3) because Queen's Bishop won't necessarily survive long enough to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.