Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Question on Quality difference with older sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all, question here.

It seems that the Master set of SW has top praised card quality.

I have read somewhere that the older sets such as certain expansions have some quality issue with the card texture, and was wondering if this is true and is it significant?

If so are there any plans to reprint the older sets with better quality to match the current Master set?

Thanks to all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had cards separate and so I now sleeve all SW cards. Planning to sleeve the master set cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did notice that the Rukar's power/Grungor's Charge
decks are a bit thinner than the regular ones, to the extent that I can tell which is which if I am holding a card from the reinforcements and one from the starters. But I have still had no damage even with the thin cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, the thinner ones are Rukar/Grungor, Cloaks/Jungle Elves are fine.
I too have sleeved them, MS too eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, PHG dealt with a first printer, which produced the "ancient quality" sets (Guild dwarves, Cave Goblins, Tundra Orcs, Phoenix Elves, Fallen Kingdom and Vanguards).

Colby was quite upset when he received the first reinforcement packs (Grungor's charge and Rukar's Power) and noticed that the cards were of different quality (being clearly thinner) than cards from the first sets, with which they were supposed to be mixed. Though it was nothing terrible (especially if you sleeve your cards), and it doesn't make GC and RP unplayable at all, he decided to switch printer.

PHG then issued the Cloaks and Jungle Elves, which were the first faction decks issued by the new printer, and were of a superior quality, when compared to the first sets. It seems the decks from the Master Set are of the same top-quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for the reply which are very informative.

I will probably hold out on the 2 reinforcement packs until there are news of reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
zhangzewen wrote:

I will probably hold out on the 2 reinforcement packs until there are news of reprint.

FWIW, I recommend sleeving your cards anyway, and if you do so the quality difference does not matter. I initially didn't like the sleeves, but now the cards are easier to shuffle and pick up, and they slide around nicely on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhangzewen wrote:

If you can hold out coz they're so awezzzzome!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.