Subject: Games for 6, 7, 8+ Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Gunner
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About my group: We started playing Agricola & loved it. We tried Puerto Rico & didnt love it as much. We played Power Grid extensively for a while. We love Le Havre and Dominant Species. We like Dixit on occasion. None of us liked Dominion at all (we are all Magic the Gathering players and it just felt like watching each player go off with their high tide deck over and over. yawn.) Small World was ok, but nothing special.

We also really love playing Telestrations and The Resistance when our gaming group gets really big.

Could anyone recommend some lighter and some heavier games for when our group gets to 6, 7 or 8+ players?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Risk can play 6. Race for the galaxy with the expansions can play 6. History of the World (if you can find it) plays 6. 7 Wonders can play 7. Can't think of many that play 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders and Citadels seem to be mentioned quite a bit on lists like this. I have only played these games a few times and found them a bit lacking...

For a heavier game that supports 8? That's easy:

Civilization/Advanced Civilization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnamed Object plays up to 8.
Bananagrams plays up to 8.

But if I had 6 to 8 players, I would suggest the group split up for 2 separate games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just copy and paste what I've written previously in another similar thread:

I've been battling the same issue for several months now. I have a game group that is always exactly 8 people (4 couples).

Here are a few games I've tried and how they resulted:

7 Wonders tanked because most of the group enjoys a high level of social interaction. There are a few who I could tell enjoyed it more, but the group overall doesn't ask for it. If I ever get those few who liked it alone...
For Sale works as a good filler, but I have to ask two teams to buddy up as it only plays up to 6.
Dixit went over very well for my group--again, social gamers all the way. I had to ask couples to buddy up, so naturally I'm excited for Dixit Odyssey.
Jungle Speed worked for the group and they're excited to play it more. But it's just a speed-challenge filler, so no strategy itch will be scratched.
The Resistance is the group's absolute favorite game. They can't get enough of it, and we've played it a lot. I'm starting to get a bit burned out on it.
Lifeboats went over quite well because they were able to get into the theme. This one works nicely with the buddy-up system. Thematically it's just as if they were a couple stranded at sea with a bunch of singles. There was one moment when Aaron used his captain card early on in the game to avoid being tossed overboard. Lynette said, "You're using your captain card now?...Poor strategy!" Aaron wasted no time in responding, "Okay," reached down, and plucked her pawn out of the boat. We laughed about it all night, and we still use the line "Poor strategy" in all our games.
Nuns on the Run is in the queue. It plays 8 if two players play the two guard nuns, which isn't ideal, but I figure my wife and I can play the two nuns. Or I can ask my wife to play the two nuns while I help with movement on the first game.
Saboteur + Saboteur 2 I recently purchased in hopes that it will bring another option to the table with different choices, but still has a traitor element for the social interaction.
Fearsome Floors I recently purchased because it will offer a tactical experience and still be somewhat social. It plays up to 7, but I have no problem asking one couple to double up.

What I've learned is that I'm not going to get a good Euro-strategic experience out of an 8-player game, unless it's of the social type (i.e. The Resistance). I'm going to start doing more partnering to get the player count down to the strategy games I really enjoy.

Some games I really want to get them to learn, but must use the buddy-up system, are as follows:

Survive: Escape From Atlantis! (plays 6 w/ expansion)
Acquire (plays 6)
Carcassonne (plays 6 w/ expansion)
Cosmic Encounter (plays up to 7 w/ expansions, I only have one expansion)
Space Alert (plays 5) - There's no way to buddy up on this one. But I'm hoping I can teach it to the all together so they all know how to play, then we can rotate since sessions only take 20-30 minutes with 5 players. The other three can play a quick filler while they're tearing it up in space.

I hope this helps! Good luck, and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Juenger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention lighter games also...

How about RoboRally , plays up to 8. Can be somewhat chaotic. Very "mathy" though, but suits us when we have a bunch!

Also +1 for Race for the Galaxy with expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Condottiere - 6
Shadow Hunters - 8
Imperial - 6
PitchCar - 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers - Infinity!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I like:

7 Wonders - I don't love it, but it's good and can accomodate seven players. I think it's best with more players in general.

Arkham Horror - I love this game and it plays up to 8 people. I don't typically recommend it for more than 4 players, as it can get slow/long, but if you're foolhardy enough...

Ave Caesar - Excellent, underrated game. Plays up to six and probably not worth it with four or fewer. Plays quickly and is surprisingly interactive. A hit for me with lighter gamers.

Carcassonne - The Inns & Cathedrals expansion adds pieces for a sixth player.

Cosmic Encounter - Amazing game. Amazing with six players. With two expansions can play up to seven and there will be at least one more coming (allowing eight players). I haven't played with 7+ and have heard some people say it gets to be almost too many people, but I'd try it in a heartbeat. An all-time classic.

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space - I'm cheating with this one: I haven't played it yet. But I want to. Hard to find in the US, but supposedly coming here soon.

Fearsome Floors - Goes up to seven, light and simple. Good but not amazing.

Formula D - Another light race game. I haven't played this one, but it supports many players and is "a classic." Supports up to ten players!

Imperial/Imperial 2030 - I've played 2030 only but it's a fantastic game. BGG polling says best with four people, but it goes up to six.

RoboRally - Supports up to eight people. You need to be disciplined about setting up short races as many players read the rules, set up four-board courses and find the game drags. But if you keep them short and sweet, this game is a serious winner.

Steam - I think all the Age of Steam family supports up to six. Most rail games support a lot of players and you could also go into Empire Builder Rail Games and/or 18xx.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - Two to four players out of the box, but there is an upcoming mini-expansion with pieces for six players. Not sure how it will play at that player count.

Tales of the Arabian Nights - A very different kind of "game," that some love and some don't get at all. It is long with six people, but it's also easy to play to a lower point total. Interesting and unique.

Witch's Brew - Needs the expansion for six players and a little hard to find... but worth it if you can get your hands on it.

Yggdrasil - A super-cool co-op game that supports six out of the box and seven with the BGG promo.

Some of these are repeats of recommendations you've already had, but that just lets you know which games are most widely-loved, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici plays up to 6. In my opinion, Medici is best with 6.

Tsuro plays up to 8 and is extremely light.

As mentioned earlier, splitting the group up is a good way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

Arkham Horror - I love this game and it plays up to 8 people. I don't typically recommend it for more than 4 players, as it can get slow/long, but if you're foolhardy enough...

I actually played this on Wednesday with 8 players. It wasn't as long as we thought it would be, and we won by sealing 6 gates. Then again, we only used 1 big box and 1 small box expansion. I can picture the game getting very long and slow with 8 players if you used more expansions than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanz der Hornochsen! Hard to get, but well worth it for a filler that can accommodate up to 8. It's essentially a board game version of 5 Slide/6 Nimmt.

One of the problems with games at this level are that they either drag (Citadels, unfortunately), or are just too light. Tanz der Hornochsen! isn't super deep, but IME it's the best gamer's filler style game I've played for 8 players.

That's Life! Another light filler. Plays up to six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy AND good games for more than 6 is hard to come by. Although if Arkham horror and BSG are your kind of thing then that's 2 down.

King of Tokyo may be the best fast and light game for 6 for a long time.

6 nimmt! 7 Wonders are popular with most people regardless of their prferences. They both play very fast, although setup of 7 Wonders can be long when the number of players varies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appart from the ones mentioned over and over again (the great 7 Wonders, the very good Fearsome Floors and so on), I would recommend 6 nimmt!. We've played it dozens of times with the full complement of 10 players, and always have a blast. It's not very strategic or anything, but it's a perfect night closer, or an even more perfect "beer and pretzels" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
For 6: Power Grid, 1856, Dixit, Loot with teams, Leaping Lemmings, 11 Nimmt!, GemBlo, Acquire, Hare & Tortoise, The Scepter of Zavandor, Steel Driver, Shark

For 7: Struggle of Empires
Outpost
Advanced Civilization (if you have 12 hours to play)

For up to 8: Tsuro, Bohnanza

For 8 or more:
Formula D (with teams if you have an even number or even a multiple of 3)
The Resistance
Liar's Dice
Telephone Pictionary

See also these Geeklists:
Six Player Games for Consideration

You can play this game with six players - do it!
You CAN play this game with six (or more) - DO!
You can play this game with six players -- Don't
Classics For Six - Fresno Gamers 2/03/09
six player games suggestions when you sit at table with six bored people and having no clue what to do!
Family Games for Six
The six player curse
When your 'lunch time' game group gets too popular (non-heavy games for six in under an hour)
Help with Games for a Group of Six Newbies
Spiele für 7 Personen / Games for 7 (seven) persons
Party of seven: games to play at the gamestore.

There are lots more lists and threads, just not as simple to find...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time I went out and bought games specifically for 6 players, but nowadays, my group is no longer willing to put up with the downtime or chaos that comes with 6, 7, or 8. We simply break into two groups, with a minimum of 3 each and play heavier games like Brass, Le Havre, Agricola, which we couldn't if we had 6 or more. What follows are some medium to heavier games along the lines of Agricola.

Acquire takes up to 6, and downtime doesn't suffer, but people have complained that it becomes too chaotic. It is lighter than most on this list. The winning player seems to be someone who luckily invested in the right corporation/hotel chain first, which makes it look like a crap shoot.

Antike takes up to 6, and there is almost no downtime due to the rondel mechanism. It is a perfect information game--everything is open, so it plays much like Chess. Plus, it is a light "civ" game! Imperial and Imperial 2030 introduce stocks in more contemporary and futuristic settings.

Railways of the World takes up to 6, with little downtime. It is one of the best games for 6 players, for most bang for the buck and time.

Chicago Express and Baltimore & Ohio for 6, with little downtime. CE is quicker, with B&O being the meatier, longer, badder, bigger brother. I highly recommend B&O.

Other 6 player games: Bootleggers, most 18XX titles, Empire Builder and most other crayon rail titles, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Titan. Most are long, medium to heavy weight, with some downtime.

Shadows over Camelot works nicely with 7 players (that's sort of why I got it). It is a co-op with an intriguing "traitor" mechanism. However, despite the very simple decision tree, it seems to suffer from longer downtime than I would expect--probably due to the open objectives: survive the game, uncover the traitor. With experience, this should improve, but the wait is maddening the first few plays. Citadels seems to suffer the same frustrating quality.

Struggle of Empires works beautifully with 5 or 7 players (odd numbers are needed to make the alliance mechanism work well). There's little downtime, interesting choices, plenty of interaction, and a Martin Wallace pedigree. Highly recommended. Conquest of the Empire with the alternate rules implements the alliance mechanism with a different theme (haven't played it yet, though).

Viktory II works up to 8 players. It is well produced for a self-published game. It is a strategic wargame with very simple, yet satisfying tactical dice combat, hidden exploration, and geomorphic map. I'd play with one of the shorter victory conditions, or you may end up playing all night. Still, the downtime with 6, 7, or 8 can be maddening.

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) with Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire will go up to 8 players. Due to its impulse movement, there is comparatively less downtime, but it is still a long game.

So, that is the nature of the beast, as most games start to suffer with more players. Very few games can accommodate the larger numbers without sacrificing gameplay in terms of interaction, play duration, or downtime. 7 Wonders is the exception to that, and probably why it is so popular lately.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
i second:
arkham (->8 with just the base game)
incan gold (3->8)

and add:
Diplomacy (2->7 but far and away best with 7)
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (8->18)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Up to 6 players, light, co-op. Halfway through it becomes All vs. One.

Comments on Arkham Horror
* Up to 8 players.
* Play the game in tandem. Aside from running into monsters when Moving, everyone is doing their own thing.
* Add a GM/DM as a 9th player to run game and keep it going smoothly. See House Rules by Richard Launius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
7 Wonders and Citadels seem to be mentioned quite a bit on lists like this. I have only played these games a few times and found them a bit lacking...

For a heavier game that supports 8? That's easy:

Civilization/Advanced Civilization

Citadels is a good one, not sure that 7 wonders plays as well with 6 or 7 as you lose so much control over things. Many good games play 6: Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, Power Grid, Dune, and Junta just to name a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spinner Dominoes plays up to 8 players and is a recent hit at my group with several people wanting to get their own copy. The game play includes dominoes that have wild symbols on them called Spinners this helps move the game along at a fast pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta!

Plays great with 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.