David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a piece of music is available for free on the Net, and I give credit at the end of my video, is it all right for me to use it as background music and upload the video to YouTube? For example, I might use "Twixt" by Plastic Boy, 1999 version.

Thanks for cluing me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
If a piece of music is available for free on the Net, and I give credit at the end of my video, is it all right for me to use it as background music and upload the video to YouTube? For example, I might use "Twixt" by Plastic Boy, 1999 version.

Thanks for cluing me in.

Depends entirely on under what license you got a hold of the track in question.

There are a couple of websites which offer tracks one might freely use. The trouble is that finding something fitting may be quite a chore.

You'll have to find out what license applies to your track of choice.

That's about all I happen to know myself!

I'd be really interested in how others manage to find something fitting. Not necessarily easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:

Thanks for cluing me in.

Just because something is free on the net doesn't mean that you can use it. Even if it is free legally (i.e. the copyright holder approves), you are not free to use it unless the copyright holder has explicitly said that you can. And, of course, most 'free' stuff on the net (especially on youtube) is not there legally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McDaid
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Short answer. No.

There's alot of legality to music and it's copywrites, but the short of it is that in order to us most music for promotional videos, unless it is royalty free, will cost you. And even then, royalty free music has it's restrictions.

I use music from www.shockwave-sound.com and they are a royalty free site. What royalty free means of course is that you can use thier music under certain restritions with out needing to pay them each time. For television commercials, when someone uses a copywriten song, such as Lady Gaga for inatnce, Her publishers would be payed a sum each time that commercial airs. With royalty free, you pay once and can use it as many times as you need.

However depending on the market, that initial cost could be low or high too. At Shockwave it's about $50 for a song you can use in local commercials, internet media of up to 200 plays a day* and local radio. If that were to air on a national scale you'd owe them another $200.

* Just a guess as I can't remeber right now.

Best bet would be to go to Newgrounds song portal, find something you like that isn't a ripoff of someone else's copywriten matterial and contact the author for details on how it was made and then explane your project and ask if you can use it for that and that only. Just because someone says yes to one thing doesn't mean it's not still thiers which means if you were to use it elsewhere it'd be a violation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A guide to free-music sites:

http://www.friedbeef.com/7-best-sources-of-royaltyfree-music...

Free as in "you don't have to pay anything". Though for any track you use, you need to check what licensing conditions there is (many tracks require you link to or credit the creator, which is hardly too onerous...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The laws regarding this are very confusing, I am hesitant to use music in my videos that are not under an appropriate share-alike license; or that I have not been given direct permission by the artist to use.

Youtube to my knowledge can take down videos, stop them from being played in certain countries etc if they consider it to be a violation of copyright.

http://freemusicarchive.org/

You'll have to make sure the licenses for each piece of music you use from the above website are applicable, but there are some good artists there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin M
msg tools
I also recommend the good people at http://creativecommons.org/ for creative commons and public domain stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
jamesmckane wrote:
The laws regarding this are very confusing, I am hesitant to use music in my videos that are not under an appropriate share-alike license; or that I have not been given direct permission by the artist to use.

I would stick with the latter condition only, and even that has limitations. Music publishing laws are the devil in disguise when it comes to performance of music recordings. If the artist in question has a contract with a music publisher (ASCAP or BMI), using them brings in a host of accounting and legal requirements that aren't worth the hassle.

Write the music yourself if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.