BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Polished game for sale to any company rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stanley Janoski
United States
flag msg tools
Hello, my name is Stanley Janoski.
I have a board game that has been developed and tested that I would like to sell. I started developing this idea in college and it became a sensation among classmates. The visuals at the time was very unpolished, so by the end of 2010 I designed it even further by re-designing the board game with 3D graphics, new cards, and a unique style of game play. The game is original and is the equivalent of a cat and mouse game between one player against every other player. It would be a dream to make it into a videogame one day; nevertheless, time and resources is something I do not have. If you are interested, please email me back at kasigawa@aol.com. Thank you.

All information is under disclosure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never tried this I may be wrong, but I don't think you are going to get a publisher to write you just based off this, but you did come to the right place when you came to BGG. I'd read some of the threads in the Board Game Design forum. Quite a few publishers and designers are here and may help you find the information you need to help find a publisher. There are many publishers like Z-Man Games that accept outside submissions and i'm sure those in the forums can help you figure out how to submit your game.

Good luck and I hope your project comes to fruition. And oh yeah, welcome to the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Cambridge Games Factory is another company that readily asks and looks for new designs all the time. Give them a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kasigawa wrote:
Hello, my name is Stanley Janoski.
I have a board game that has been developed and tested that I would like to sell. I started developing this idea in college and it became a sensation among classmates. The visuals at the time was very unpolished, so by the end of 2010 I designed it even further by re-designing the board game with 3D graphics, new cards, and a unique style of game play. The game is original and is the equivalent of a cat and mouse game between one player against every other player. It would be a dream to make it into a videogame one day; nevertheless, time and resources is something I do not have. If you are interested, please email me back at kasigawa@aol.com. Thank you.

All information is under disclosure.

Hi Stanley,

I hope your game is indeed the next blockbuster, however you need a better paragraph-length sales pitch that summarizes to any game buyer why they want to buy your game right now over any other. What is the hook? What type of gamer will this appeal to most? What makes your game so much better than 10,000 other games? What makes it unique? Why is this a MUST BUY game?

Hone your 'elevator pitch'.

I can tell that you are excited about your game, but no publisher or buyer really cares much about the history of the game or how much of a hit it was with your friends / family.

And yes, I'm exaggerating here to prove a point. Work on that three to four sentence selling pitch and practice it on people you know first. Then unleash the polished pitch to potential publishers.

You'll also want to investigate the proper way to send submissions to each publisher.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy it!!! For $1 and I get to keep 99.9999% of all sales. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Stanley!

Your best bet is to become familiar with the community, the players, the "culture," and the market. . . a month or two on BGG would be nice. . . .

Have you played many of the games that lead the charts here? What are your favorite games? Do you have a sense of the modern boardgame world? Have people who have played a lot of the games here played your game?

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has suggested submitting your game for addition into the BGG database. I know you're writing that the game is "under disclosure", which I'm taking to mean you don't want to put the details out, but you can supply a description and possibly post some concept art and such for people to look at and consider.

If you've played the game with friends and family, you could post session reports and even ask them to post reviews. I can't think of a better way to get information for your game out than trying to create a buzz on BGG -- maybe ask non-friend, non-family BGGers to demo your game and post their impressions. Offer to send PDF's of the game materials to people willing to help out.

Is this more information than you're probably looking to get out before finding a publisher? Of course. And while it's possible an unscrupulous type might take the opportunity to steal your idea, the boardgame community really is a small one. The buzz you could create may be enough to outweigh the potential risk of theft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Janoski
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you for posting in this thread. The description I gave of the board game is simple general information. I have a finished product and I want to sell it for anything I can get, it's been sitting in my closet for months now. It's complete with all the pieces, and I am clueless of where to go for publishers, self-marketing, and manufacturing. I hope to understand what are other options in what to do with this product. Any information or step by step references would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This is what the board game looks like. http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/kasigawa/28x31allino... http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/kasigawa/BoardsgameR...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd consider self publishing it, I recently bought some of this fellow's work, at it was quite well done:

Andrew Tullsen's Print and Play Productions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Janoski
United States
flag msg tools
I have made a powerpoint for those who contact me through email. The powerpoint gives further detail about the game.

Email me at kasigawa@aol.com if you are interested. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Greater Ottawa Region
flag msg tools
I also believe you came to the right place. Kudos on grasping your trade secrets tightly to your chest.

By the looks and sound of it, you have put a lot of effort into your project. You are not doing yourself justice by trying to hastily dump your hard work into a publisher's lap without educating yourself on the possibilities. Do your homework, you are almost there. This is where you will find your information. It would be unfortunate if someone else reaped the benefits of your property.

Nice graphics, I would want to give this a try. Have you thought about using counters for your items (weapons, etc) instead of printing them on the board? That way you can add variety to placement, opening up replayability.

Also, have you checked out Nuns on the Run? It looks like it could have some similar game mechanics. Best to know your competition, though that game has a silly theme while yours will appeal to a different audience.

I wish you the best of luck!

-!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Greater Ottawa Region
flag msg tools
Also, OP, check out Mr. Jack. Similar look, popular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Janoski
United States
flag msg tools
I have modified my game to use tokens instead of graphic spaces on the board game. I appreciate the good ideas that came from this thread. Now I have to find a way for this game to get known and to start making any profit. Please give me suggestions on how can I market or sell this game. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.