Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just recently acquired the Pied Piper expansion (6/2011), and I am in the beginning stages of figuring out each role's impact on the game, specifically how they combine with the original 6 roles and/or how they do as substitutes for some of the original roles.
Based on my initial learning of the expansion, I have split the 12 Pied Piper roles into 3 categories, as follows...
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Variation:
Crusader (like the Knight)
Queen (like the Peasant)
Baker (like the King)
Nun (like the Knight)

Combination:
Soldier (similar to both the Knight & the Peasant or Monk)
Pied Piper (similar to both the Merchant & the Monk)

New Element:
Courier (cube-swapping)
Mayor (placement by dispersal)
Emperor (border blocking)
Wizard (cube protection)
Serf (personal profit at expense of other opponents)
Bishop (prevents rat movement)

So, I have 3 primary questions about the Queen:
1) How well does she function as a substitute for the Peasant?
2) Does it feel redundant to have both the Peasant and the Queen in play at the same time?
3) Is worth/risk ratio favorable, considering the restrictions on cube placement together with the potential loss from rat tokens for having the role?

Any other comments on strategic observations/uses of the Queen are welcome here, as are any ideas about good combos involving the Queen and another role (or two). I welcome differences of opinion on my classification system as well (as it pertains to THIS role--I am setting up other threads for the other roles.) FWIW, I am hoping to draw out other fans of the game and provoke conversation in this thread, rather than a lesson on how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game with her and The Mayor...seemingly a potential combo.
But no one could really pull it off...
We probably need to simply be "better" at the game, but The Queen is one of the few characters not realized for us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this quote might add a little fuel to the fire for this thread...
Bartjes wrote:

bandit_boy7 wrote:

Bartjes wrote:
I haven't played the following combination yet...but I can imagine that the courier and the queen might be a good combination to play with.

Let us know if you encounter this. I haven't yet either, mostly because I have little interest in using the Queen so far. Clearly I need to get away from looking for the "obvious benefit" of these new roles and explore the "subtle strategy" they each provide, especially in combinations.

The Queen sometimes changes your strategy, even when you don't have this card yourself. When your opponent has the biggest connected area, you sometimes choose to add cubes in a certain region, just to make the queen unuseful for your opponents. So the queen forces you as well as your opponent to focus on other things, then just following your own strategy.

An excerpt from this conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A role that seems like it can be pretty powerful, but an obvious problem is that when you use it, the other players will likely feel that you are in the lead (even if this is not true) because you have a large connected region. This will cause them to attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must confess, I STILL have never played with this role.
The problem for me is (funny as it may sound): reading comprehension. When I read the description of the role, I get a mental picture, sorta, but then it just gets all fuzzy. My brain just can't chew on this; it goes blank. I'd have to see the Queen in action. If she was used against me well, I'm sure I'd catch on quickly enough. LOL Unfortunately, I never get to play Rattus with anyone who has more experience with this expansion than I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.