Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Soderlund
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing some solo Agricola and in my last game got the Food Critic card. Very helpful in solo play, but I am not sure if I am playing it correctly. Here is what it says:

Food Critic
(1-5 players) G019
The next time you use the Fishing action, place
1 food from the general supply on this card. Whenever
you convert animals, vegetables, grain, or
building resources to food, you may place that good
on this card. At the end of the game, you receive
1/2/4/6 bonus points for 4/5/6/7+ different items
on this card.

It is not clear to me from this if I have to go to the fishing space and place a food on the card BEFORE I can, say, convert grain to food and place a grain on the card. It does not explicitly say that, but it kinda seems to imply it. The Compendium does not address the issue. If the intent is that one has to go to the fishing space first, I would think the card would read "After you have placed a food on the card, then whenever you convert animals, etc..." So, I have been playing that I can put a sheep or a grain or whatever on the card after converting to food, even if I never go to the fishing space. Am I playing right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is you are indeed playing it right. The idea behind Food Critic is to keep track of the different types of food consumed and to give more bonus points as you consume more types. In that sense, I do not see why fish has to be consumed first before you can consume any other type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster is correct. The card is not requiring a fishing action first; if it was, it would say so. The intent is to maximize bonus points by consuming as many different types of resources as possible, including direct food. What the card is specifying is that to earn the food part of the bonus, you can only do so through fishing, as opposed to Traveling Players, Day Laborer, RSf in a 4-player game, the "Stockyards" in a 5-player game, or food acquired via Ocks or Improvements. It has to be fish. It's nice concise wording, actually, though admittedly still a tad confusing if not parsed properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ha - I've been playing this wrong, then. I've always (meaning twice) gotten the fish first thinking it was a requirement.

Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Right, the Fishing bit couldn't fit into the sentence about all of the goods you can place on the card. That's the only reason it's listed separately. There is no required order.

And yes, this is a great solo card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Soderlund
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all. I just scored my first 100-point game! I had Food Critic, Lord of the Manor, and Glutton, as well as Pumpkin Pie from the Gamer's Deck. It was awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.