Jim Squires
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...which should I buy?

I'm always on the lookout for solitaire games (hard to convince the wife to play with me all the time), and I picked up Space Hulk: Death Angel knowing that it could be enjoyed just as well with a group as it could on my own. Long story short, I'm loving it.

If I wanted to purchase something similar that can also be enjoyed solo, what games should I check out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim can be played up to 2 players but is primarily thought of as a solitary game. I own it but haven't played it yet but most people seem to agree that it's good. Especially for the price.

edit: Also Yggdrasil is supposed to be a good solo/coop game that will play more than 2 players if you're looking for something that can be played solo and with groups. You could also try the The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

The best solo game I've played. I really like Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're up for a challenge, I'd recommend Ghost Stories. There's also an expansion too.

I like Thunderstone solo, but the setup/tear down time is a bit tedious.

LotR: TCG is also good. I respect it for being a good game, but I don't like the theme and expected a little too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try one of the games on this Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest gameto Space Hulk that I can think of is LOTR: Lcg"but it is very different. What they hav in common is controlling multiple characters against a hord of monsters. I don't think it has that same "the situation is quickly getting out of control" feel as Space Hulk. For that you might want to lolook into Pandemic or Red November.

I recently started a podcast on solitaire boardgaming and have talked about both Onirim and LOTR: LCG. it's at http://fractaloon.podbean.com

Hopefully I typed all that okay. My wife is on the laptop so I am typing on my phone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Doctor Necreaux is what I picked up after Space Hulk: Death Angel. Different mechanics and theme, but just as challenging (and also as portable, as both are card games with boxes of approximately the same size). Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
field commander Alexander
and hornet air carrier command
ghost stories
all other above choices are valid as well

Lotr card game and death angel are my current 2 favs followed by onirum and defenders of the realm(only cus its bigger)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elder Signs. It offers that same puzzley aspect to each turn (which location do I attempt) that action selection offers in Death Angel. Plus, you can play solo using the iPhone/iPad/Android app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's solo only, but Friday is fantastic. I just picked it up and like it more than Death Angel. It's basically a solitaire Dominion. Lots of decisions to make.

Onirim is a great bang-for-your-buck game. It's a set collection game with a few twists. Takes up almost no space too. Can be played with 1-2 players.

If you like coops, Pandemic and Flash Point both work well solo too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
bgriggs wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elder Sign.

Yeah, this is the first game that springs to mind.
Although it has similarities to Space Hulk: Death Angel, I prefer playing SH: DA.

Onirim is very addictive - great solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All Things Zombie: The Boardgame plays excellently solitaire. As does Incursion with the Incursion: SNAFU expansion and feels very much like space hulk. If you can find a copy of Space Crusade I have been Playing it solitaire a lot and loving it. It even has a campaign system and is set in the space hulk /40k universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the game that is like SH: DA on steroids:

Gears of War: The Board Game

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! How could I have forgotten to mention gears of war. This works very well solitaire. Don't forget to check out the expansions for space hulk if you haven't already done so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the game that is like SH: DA on steroids:

Gears of War: The Board Game

Enjoy.

This. It's the same designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is a wonderful game, but the solo rules are dense, IMO. I enjoy Race with 1+ real opponents though. Pandemic makes sense, but I've never tried it solo.

Ghost Stories++ and there is an iPad app for that.

I stumbled across Friday recently and it's on the buy list. I will have a look at Onirim also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.