Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally after many many plays have got the rules down pretty well,although still need to refer to rulebook occasionally.

I had the impression when I bought the game that it would be relatively easy based on the many comments to that effect. I had never played a squad level game and certainly never played Squad Leader or ASl, so I had no basis for comparison.

Band of Heroes may be easy compared to ASL, but is pretty hard to learn by one's self (of course the BGG community has been a huge help).

I believe this is because the game tries to model many details that simpler games do not. This level of detail is what makes the game difficult, but it is also what makes it fun and challenging in a good way. I enjoy more detailed games and the investment of time in learning them is more than rewarded in play experience.

I would love to see two experienced players fighting it out, using all of the subtleties the game allows.

Now to actual game play. Band of Heroes is hard to win, even when playing myself (I always pick a side I want to win). These close in battles are brutal and trying to execute a long range strategy is so far hopeless as none of my plans have come close to panning out.

Band of Heroes is the kind of game that will hold my attention for a long time. I have only played fewer than half the scenarios, most 3-4 times trying different strategies. I don't mind playing the same scenario over and over again as they always play differently.

The game is very tense and somewhat exhausting. When done with a scenario play, I have to sit down and unwind for a while.
Of course while doing this, I play through the game again in my head and try to figure out better ways of doing things.

All in all a great gaming experience that, as everyone here told me many times, is well worth the effort of learning.

Now if only I could find some local players. Too bad most adults have more important things to do than indulge in wargames. If they only knew what they were missing. Anyway, it is still great fun playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on sticking with it. It's good to hear you're getting a good payoff for all the work you put into learning the game.

Yes, wargamers are quick to call games "relatively easy." Some of us have been at it so long that we've forgotten how hard it was at first. I had some fifteen years of Squad Leader/ASL experience under my belt when I tackled LnL. But I hadn't played in years, so learning LnL has been a bit of work for me too.

I agree that it's worth it, though. There's plenty of detail to bring the scenarios to life; the nice artwork helps; and the game system, once you get the hang of it, is streamlined and playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wholeheartedly agree with the tension of the game which makes any game good. You have only a few turns and you will eventually have to take risks like running in the opening, exposing some squad, etc. There is no way around it.

What I find difficult with the rules are the minute details. I always forget to check for hero creation. And what happens when the ordnance die roll is equal to the "to hit" number? And which roll hits the hull and which the turret? When does a crew survive? This does not detract from the game; it just forces me to keep up with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I finally figured out that even rolls are good, odd are not so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.