Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game today and one of the players chose the Anti-Matter. Once read a couple times though, he got the impression that it is just like the Loser power, only mandatory rather than optional (which seems kinda silly).
"You have the power of Negation. As a main player, after both you and your opponent reveal attack cards, use this power to make the lower total win. Furthermore, when this power is used, Your ships as well as any offensive and defensive allies' ships are subtracted from the appropriate side's total. Your opponent's total is otherwise figured normally, however."

From what I can understand, it is in fact a lot like Loser, only any ships (yours as well as any allies with you) on your side also subtract from your attack total.

There was some arguing about what it's power really meant.

Just hoping for some clarification, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This one is a bit confusing, but can be worked through.
For this encounter, all ships have negative value EXCEPT the ships of the main player that is not the Anti-Matter.
We make sure to calculate each side's total (correctly) before playing encounter cards, adding them to each side's total (respectively).
Then the lower total WINS.

Pretty much the best way to deal with it is to just go slowly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, there are similarities to Loser, but Anti-Matter has the advantage of subtracting from his total instead of adding, whereas Anti-Matter's opponent adds normally (allies on both sides subtract).

Loser has the flexibility of deciding whether to go higher total (normally) or lower total to win when he's a main player (except against Anti-Matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, (if I recall correctly, off hand) Anti-Matter specifically deals with your final "values", or "totals". Loser deals with "loss" and "Win".

While generally they are one and the same, this can sometimes be an important distinction depending on the scenario, powers, etc.

ie: for Loser, and "N" beats an attack card. This is not so with Anti-Matter. There are many other scenarios that could distinguish the 2 powers, particularly with multi-power games. I just can't think of any other good ones off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
There are many other scenarios that could distinguish the 2 powers. I just can't think of any other good ones off the top of my head.

Loser vs Antimatter. May hurt brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Eigen wrote:
Loser vs Antimatter. May hurt brain.

Just resolve everything as if an upset had not been declared. Then, at the very end, flip the winner and loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anti-Matter's opponent is motivated to have as few of his own ships in the encounter as possible, because each ship makes his total higher, which is *worse* in an encounter with Anti-Matter.

So Anti-Matter (AM) with 3 ships in the encounter, and Anti-Matter's Allies (AMA) with a total of 5 ships in the encounter, and the Opposing Player (OP) with 2 ships in the encounter, and the Opposing Player's Allies (OPA) with a total of 7 ships in the encounter. AM plays a 04, OP plays a 06. The totals are:

AM = 04 - 3 - 5 = -4
OP = 06 + 2 - 7 = 1

AM has the lower total, so he wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for such in depth replies! Glad I got it right to a extent.
Good point on the Loser power. If you lose, you win. Anti-matter deals with totals rather than winning.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.